cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping Calculator Flaw

I offered and sold an item to an International buyer.  Originally the ebay Int. ship calculator allowed me to choose "large envelope". The European buyer sent me the correct ship charge of $4.16. But the shipping label printer wants $13.30 (which is the ship charge for a "package" ).....no way to correct the fault. Is this a known flaw?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay doesn't print labels for letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes) even though you can use the shipping calculator for those services if yuo plan to use them.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You can only buy package rates through eBay, but you can pick whatever you want for your listing.

If you want the Large Envelope/Flats rate (and the item qualifies for it), you pay at the counter.

You may want to look at what qualifies for Large Envelope/Flat.  I can tell by the shipping prices of several of your Sold items that you've been choosing it when it's not actually appropriate.  You also chose it for one of your current lighters.  That won't qualify as a flat, but does as a package.  (the package will be thick and lumpy and over 3/4")

https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q201c.htm#1009536

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Not only the physical standards apply, but the new UPU mandates and USPS First Class international changes from January whereby International flats can no longer be used for merchandise.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Error-Code-64541/m-p/28023386/highlight/true#M222088
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

eBay doesn't print labels for letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes) even though you can use the shipping calculator for those services if yuo plan to use them.

Thank you, but my beef is with International sales. I or buyer ends up with almost 3x postage cost compared to what calculator gave on orig. listing.  I should have been prompted against a "flat" in same way, lets say, as if wt or some other limit were exceeded.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@jimichromewrote:
 ...  I should have been prompted against a "flat" in same way, lets say, as if wt or some other limit were exceeded.

You are reponsible for knowing what type of package you have. If you tell eBay that you have a flat, ebay will let you choose to calculate postage for a flat.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@jimichromewrote:
 ...  I should have been prompted against a "flat" in same way, lets say, as if wt or some other limit were exceeded.

You are reponsible for knowing what type of package you have. If you tell eBay that you have a flat, ebay will let you choose to calculate postage for a flat.

Then shouldn't ebay's/usps's label printer let me buy the $4.16 label instead of $13.33 label?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

As noted in my first post, ebay doesn't print labels for flats and letters. Either domestic or international.  

Sellers who intend to mail their items as letters or flats can set up their listings with appropriate calculated shipping, but they have to purchase their postage elsewhere.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply