cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to offer free economy shipping and paid priority shipping

I saw another seller offering free economy shipping and paid priority shipping. I would like to do this as well but can't seem to find a place to do that. 

I attached a screen shot of the other sellers shipping options.

Can anyone offer some assistance?

Thanks in advance

Dean

Cash In Your Closets

On Twitter: twitter.com/zanzoodle

On Facebook: facebook.com/deaniodice

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

To do that exactly, you'd need to select flat rate shipping under your shipping details on the listing page.  

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.50.50 PM.png

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

As noted in the other post, you  set up flat rates for all the shipping methods you offer, showing the economy option first, and then check off "Free" for the first one.  

You COULD do this with calculated shipping, too, but then you'd be asking buyers to pay the full cost of the other shipping method(s).

Have you checked the specific prices for the item you're considering setting up this way?  For most items being shipped via USPS, the cost for Priority Mail and Parcel Select are the same.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Awesome Thanks

Cash In Your Closets

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I want to do this for all inventory, I see a lot of sellers offering free shipping and I know ebay is pushing for that but It cuts so deep into your profits that it's almost not worth it.

If I give an option of non-priority for free it would take longer to get there but I'm assuming it would be cheaper.

Cash In Your Closets

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

cashinyourclosets wrote: ... If I give an option of non-priority for free it would take longer to get there but I'm assuming it would be cheaper.

You are assuming incorrectly.  As mentioned above, in most cases the current online rates for USPS Priority Mail and Parcel Select are identical (or 5 cents difference).  The exceptions would be only for packages that are over 18 pounds, or over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  You can compare these rates in   the official USPS rates publication, Notice 123.
http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Parcel Select to 5 poundsFeb 2017.png

Priority Comm  b Base 1_22_2017.png

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@cashinyourclosets wrote:

I saw another seller offering free economy shipping and paid priority shipping. I would like to do this as well but can't seem to find a place to do that. 

I attached a screen shot of the other sellers shipping options.

Can anyone offer some assistance?

Thanks in advance

Dean

When u r setting up ur shipping details, the 1st heading on the drop down menu is 'economy services' - pick 'economy shipping 1-10 business days'. This is the one i use for fedex smartpost or usps 1st class, depending on weight, and I do 'flat-same cost to all buyers'. Sometimes, if they are in the same zone as I am, I can send Priority instead of fedex smart because it'll cost maybe $1 more. You can also be generic on the 'expedited services' by choosing 'expedited shipping' since it is the same 1-3 day period as usps priority, but I just choose usps priority because it covers all methods of priority pkgs with the same 1-3 day period 😉

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:
 ... the 1st heading on the drop down menu is 'economy services' - pick 'economy shipping 1-10 business days'. This is the one i use for fedex smartpost or usps 1st class, depending on weight...

If you plan to use a specific service such as First Class, you might as well show it rather than the generic category.  eBay categorizes USPS First Class packages as "Standard" shipping, not "Economy."  This Help page has a chart that shows how eBay uses those categories; they are also shown in the way that eBay sorts the options in the drop-down options menu on the listing form:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/prompt-shipping.html

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 8.13.14 PM.png

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:
 ... the 1st heading on the drop down menu is 'economy services' - pick 'economy shipping 1-10 business days'. This is the one i use for fedex smartpost or usps 1st class, depending on weight...

If you plan to use a specific service such as First Class, you might as well show it rather than the generic category.

thank u for the suggestion 😉

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@

I agree with partial* eclipse, the is very little difference in the cost of Parcel Select and Priority Mail the majority of the time - there are a  few exceptions but they are rare.  Plus with parcel select you need to secure your own boxes at an added cost with Priority you can get the boxes /envelopes at no cost.

It is hard to set up a  shipping  charge that will fit everything you sell - you are currently offering a variety of items from clothing to a frying pan.  If you  were only selling items that  we the same size and weight it would be feasible.    In looking at your current listings you have a number of jeans - jeans will weigh about 1-1/2 lbs.  They can be nicely fitted into a USPS Priority flat rate padded envelope (we do it all the time) our cost thru eBay is $6.50 to ship to any of the 50 US states and to US Protectorates (like Guam or Puerto Rico).  Plus, $50 loss/damage insurance is included.

For items that weigh  15.9 oz or less  first class package (FCP) is economical ($2.60 to 4.50 range) and delivery time is often better than advertised but you need to provide the packaging and insurance coverage if you wish - but a great way to ship those t-shirts you  are offering.

Take a look at using the Priority Regional Rate boxes - we just shipped a pair of woman's shoes from Atl to Balt., MD our  cost thru eBay $6.83. (Regional A type box).

What we do to make our lives a little easier is to make certain what we sell will fit in one of those "free" Priority boxes  and envelopes.

Getting familiar with USPS shipping services and rate schedules will make this all a bit clearer and will help you make an informed business decision.  And once you think you have it all figured out USPS will change it on all us - that unusually happens in mid January of each year and sometimes they "tweak" things  in mid term.

In a nut shell we ship primarily via Priority Mail service as we believe that our buyers "luv" to get their purchases fast and our FB reinforces what we believe.

Hope this helps.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 10
latest reply