cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file damage claim with UPS

Hi

UPS is now on Ebay. So we started using them to ship our packages. One of them got damage. We tried to file claim through their website, but unfortunately we shipped directed to eBay, UPS said we are not the shipper. Then we had to call UPS and go though 30min phone with them for claim process.

After that, they said they may inspect the package and notify eBay about the claim and if the claim approved, they will reimbursed to eBay not us? So we ask why not send the fund to us? They said you then have to call eBay to have the fund reimbursed to your account, because eBay is actually shipper not us.   ...??

They are welcome to go to get the package and inspect and talk with eBay. But why they send the fund to eBay and we have to call eBay again to make sure we have the fund back to our account. It a lot of process and time to file a claim.

Is anyone know how to make it easier to file claim with UPS?

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I don't use UPS much and can't answer your specific question. I just wanted to share that I have always heard UPS and FedEx will normally decline your claim the first time. Always appeal. They do this in the belief that most people won't deal with having to file an appeal. More money for them.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

UPS will only discuss and handle claims initiated by the owner of the shipping account.  If eBay's managed process uses their own shipper account (which is likely as they will drive a significant discount with volume), then eBay will need to initiate any damaged article claims with UPS and if they receive payment from UPS's insurance carrier, then eBay will need to handle the shipping insurance payment to you.  

They have to remit any insurance payment to eBay because eBay was the one that purchased any shipping insurance.  Its all laid out in the UPS Charter which outlines the contract between UPS and the customer who purchased shipping services with them. 

I ship directly with UPS and they have been a good reliable carrier for us with only a couple of damaged items over the past 10 years.  

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

The problem is that eBay won't file the claim for you. They send you to their page about claims and it has a long form to fill out and send in to damageexceptiongroup.ups  Well I did that and after 2 weeks of nothing, they tell me that there is no record of the claim and I have to do it all again. This time they are mailing me paperwork (10 days to arrive) and I have to mail everything in via snail mail because eBay is the shipper of record. I will NEVER ship with UPS through eBay again. This is terrible.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

can you post a link to their form

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@leadsfromme  

cam you post the link to the ebay form for filing a claim with ups

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The worst experience on ebay in 20+ years its 2021 and we have to download a xls spreadsheet to file a UPS for Ebay it took 30 minutes for a rep to find the form had me go to "GOOGLE" to find the ebay form, I get the game is to get you to pay more for the ebays insurance but this is a joke.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Interesting.... I have not yet filed a claim with UPS however I have done 3 with FedEx over the years and I just do it online and they sent me a check direct...no Ebay involved and no hassles even. Now, you all need to be checking your invoices for what they are charging because they are running a racket on "estimated" vs what they actually bill you for. If Ebay does not get this one fixed they are going to be sued....

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I have had so many problems with UPS damage that I also stopped using them. They purposely make their claim process such a hassle that I only use Fedex now, as the claim process with them is much easier

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

the only times i can be assured of a payment is if the tracking just stops.  one time the truck literally rolled over, caught on fire and the driver died (it was on the news).  but yeah it'll take something like that for insurance to pay out.  i think my success rate on item damage is maybe 1 out of 50+ with Fedex.  I don't think UPS has ever paid out damage.  USPS used to pay out liberally, but it would be under the value that I ask for - like $50.  but still $50 for 5 minutes and some pictures is worth something there.  Nowadays, they seem to keep wanting me to bring the item in to the PO for inspection and I've given up on claims there too.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Used ebay UPS shipping a lot.  Easy and less expensive.  Until there is a problem. Now have a package floating somewhere in UPS system for 3 weeks and UPS won't help because the package was shipped by ebay.  Have lost many hours of time, which time is a commodity.  Lost more than I ever saved.  I can't even figure out how much I insured for or how to file a claim.  Ebay was easier when they let us use paypal.  I'm done. Ever since they took over payment, they are too expensive and not at all user friendly.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

When you say package was "shipped by ebay"...do you mean that ebay physically handled the shipping of the package....or did you purchase a UPS label through ebay label program and shipped yourself.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Nightmare. You cant file a claim online because the tracking number is associated with an Ebay account. So you cant even file a UPS claim online it just tells you you're not associated with the tracking number. You would have to have had to ship the package through your own personal UPS account with your own tracking number from you're account. You cant do it because Ebay is the shipper. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Hi nt, 

Funny you got one of those: " Onkyo DX-C390 6-Disc Carousel CD Changer" I had a customer just return that due to dmg on transit which is what I come here to look for advise to file a dmg claim. UPS customer will not help because eBay is the shipper. They will always tell you go back to eBay and on eBay's website UPS Claim they redirect you back to UPS.  Bad cycle. 

But I figured out for a streamline process that you will not need to call anyone. 

1. Follow the eBay step with UPS. Set up the UPS account (if you have not) and file the claim under the UPS Shipping Account.

2. Then you will wait until UPS sent you the "Damage/Loss Notification" form via mail. This is a hard copy paper letters. Mine has 3 pages: 1st page contains instruction on how to file the claim (Please Ignore everything on this page). The 2nd page is the most relevant page. Fill everything out. Note there CLAIM NUMBER on the first paragraph - take note of it. 3rd page is junk as well.

3. Then go back to your UPS Claim > Click on "View an Existing Claim"  > Click on "Check Claim Status" Enter in your tracking number for that claim. You will arrived to the Claim Details look for a Hyper Link somewhere says " Update Documents" and update your PDF version of your UPS Claim form, Shipping Receipt (You can get from eBay)... any document you want them to see. Mine is Uninspected Claim" 

4. After you saved or updated on the Claim Details. go back to check again by repeating this > UPS Claim > Click on "View an Existing Claim"  > Click on "Check Claim Status" Enter in your tracking number for that claim.  you will see UPS status now changed to :

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPS Next Steps

We will notify the shipper about the details of the damage claim.

Your Next Steps

You need to do nothing at this time. Please Contact UPS if you need more help."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you know your claim is processing. They will mail you a check. No need to talk to eBay about any of this.

Thanks, 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply