cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program is is a money grab

I have been buying a few items of late that are not all that expensive, under $25US, and are not all that heavy. (ie. a small wrench for a micrometer weighs about 1/4 oz.) and end up paying upwards to $30US for shipping to me here in Canada. Throw it in a padded envelope and should cost at most $3US.

I don't have a problem with paying shipping charges for items, I don't expect Free shipping, it is a service. But why does one have to pay such exorberant fees on top of the normal shipping fees?

I just asked a seller if I could get a better price, and he said he only was charging $10US (which I would have been very happy with) and I was charged another $15US ($25US total) for the Global Shipping Program which then ramped up my total (item + shipping) to a whopping $51US (after exchange rate it is $86).

Certain things it is cheaper to buy new in a store here.

Whose pocket am I lining, or child am I helping pay to go to Harvard?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You are quite mistaken.

The cheapest package rate to Canada is $9.50 for up to 8 ounces.   That's for USPS First Class Int'l.  

The GSP doesn't use USPS FCMI do they?  I don't know if any other carrier they use offers as potentially low a rate as USPS.   

Next time ask your seller if they would ship direct.  Some will - Some won't.   For me, item price also plays into my decision.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Pitney Bowes a shipping company handles the GSP and as all companies is out to make a profit

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

This is why many of my international buyers send me notes telling me they buy from me because I take advantage of the quick first class international rates for anything less than 4 pounds. I also get lots of repeat buyers. Buyers do not want to waste their money.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Throw it in a padded envelope and should cost at most $3US

This is why I don't ship to Canada. there is no trackable shipping to Canada that costs $3 or less.  If you want cheap shipping buy from Canadians.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

You are quite mistaken.

The cheapest package rate to Canada is $9.50 for up to 8 ounces.   That's for USPS First Class Int'l.  

The GSP doesn't use USPS FCMI do they?  I don't know if any other carrier they use offers as potentially low a rate as USPS.   

Next time ask your seller if they would ship direct.  Some will - Some won't.   For me, item price also plays into my decision.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

GSP is expensive,it is EBay and Pitney BOwles joint venture,but the actual shipping and packing is done by a third party in Kentucky,there are advantages of using GSP,as the seller to get seller protection,all he has to do is to proof he has shipped to Kerlinger,Kentucky where this third party is located to get seller protection.

The third party usually repackaged and shipped overseas,mind you,no one works for free so there are fees involved,also they collect the customs duty from you and forward to the destination country.

Some sellers will waive domestic shipping and ship free to KENTUCky,BUT IT looks like your seller is charging $10 and then GSP charges what it charges.

Shipping to Canada is not that expensive,and there is tracking to protect the seller,I have shipped to Canada for many years,not a problem,so ask your seller if he would waive GSP and ship direct.

or just buy from non GSP seller.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

intl first class now goes to 15 ounces,so a small item could go first class with tracking to Canada.
go to USPS website and check.
most sellers welcome intl business,Canada is a safe place to do business,he could make a new listing for you ,may be under a different Ebay id and ship USPS first class to save you money
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I think for Canada,GSP means using the train,youknow the train,the famous train and GSP bundled multiple packages and ship freight -the train !
Canadian buyers have complained about GSP customs charges,
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Shipping to Canada is not that expensive,and there is tracking to protect the seller,I have shipped to Canada for many years,not a problem,so ask your seller if he would waive GSP and ship direct.

or just buy from non GSP seller.

the seller can not waive GSP. If the item is listed with GSP there is no option to do otherwise short of doing a new listing.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

correct,GSP SELLERS must ship all intl packages via GSP,he may not even be able to make a new listing opting out of GSP,but he can use another seller ID to ship USPS .

Most sellers haev more than one eBAY Id,FOR selling, for buying,for mischief 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

$3 padded envelope is for letters and item yeah high and weight,and there is no tracking.
you can ship a chain or charm or postcard or letter . and you dont care if the buyer files item not received as you cant prove delivery.
There is a buyer in rural Mexico,who buys many cheap trinklets on EBAY,sellers ship with no tracking and many were stolen or missing,so she filed too many disputes and finally lost her buying privilege as
she is a hazard to Ebay seller community !
go figure.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@freeshipusa1 wrote:

correct,GSP SELLERS must ship all intl packages via GSP,he may not even be able to make a new listing opting out of GSP,but he can use another seller ID to ship USPS .

Most sellers haev more than one eBAY Id,FOR selling, for buying,for mischief 

I am no longer playing GSP, but when I was, I was able to "opt in", or "opt out" on a listing by listinging basis. Some things just did not make sense(value, cost,shipping wise) to be in the GSP.   Not sure if some sellers are not afforded that option, but at that time I was. Did not need to use another ID for GSP, non-GSP.

$3 shipping( shipping without tracking), as you have already proven by your cited  example is not practical for any eBay seller. Refund INR, refund INR, refund INR................................

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

Throw it in a padded envelope and should cost at most $3US

This is why I don't ship to Canada. there is no trackable shipping to Canada that costs $3 or less.  If you want cheap shipping buy from Canadians.

And unfortunately many Canadians want all sellers regardless of the venue to ship without tracking and forfeit seller protection all because some sellers are willing to do this! It's starting to happen here (second post about this on this board this week) and I see it a lot on a buy sell trade page for a particular EXPENSIVE clothing brand. It hard to sell now because the non-us buyers-sorry Canadians but it's the Canadians--don't want to pay for first class package shipping and some sellers will gladly ship first class letter untracked for $3 making the rest of us look bad 😞

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

GSP doesn't handle multiple shipping to one address gracefully.  Last year I sold a bunch of games and one seller from France was unhappy because it was nearly $20 EACH, no combined shipping option.  I checked the 6 he wanted could be shipped to France for under $14 total.  Not $120 that GSP wanted for the same thing.  

Another time I shipped a rare CIB game, the buyer got the game only, somewhere along the line the package was repacked and someone threw out $300 in rare game box and manual.  GSP ate that one so I got to keep the nearly $400 I got for the game and the buyer got to keep the game that was worth about $100 by itself.

I've avoided GSP to most countries because they are charging an arm and a leg to repack into smaller (and often less protected) package, fill out custom form, etc.  I do use GSP to certain countries like Italy, Israel, Russia,  Brazil, and few more because postal service tended to be **bleep** and by leaving GSP there, I am protected for when the postal service stole or lost the package before it's delivered or they fail to scan in as delivered and the buyer claims not delivered.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

buyer complain about GSP as it is expensive and customs duty is collected in advance.

Canadian buyers complain as they dont believe their items should be assessed customs duty,European countries in Euro zone complain as UK is the landing spot and they have to pay UK customs which is stiffer than their country.

But some items are better shipped GSP as the size limit is larger than USPS allowed.

It is really meant to protect the seller,EBAY created this program to encourage US SELLERS to sell more overseas. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply