cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns

What exactly does it mean to offer free returns?  They can return anytime? If they change their mind they can return it for buyer's remorse?  Or does it mean seller will pay for return if it was the seller's fault? Thank you. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Free Returns

Free Returns can be for any reason, including "buyer's remorse".  Return process must be initiated within the return policy window, but the item may not actually be shipped back until later.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

@luckyfinds309wrote:

What exactly does it mean to offer free returns?  They can return anytime? If they change their mind they can return it for buyer's remorse?  Or does it mean seller will pay for return if it was the seller's fault? Thank you. 

If you do free returns, buyer can return for any reason and you pay return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

Any return policy allows for remorse returns within the time frame chosen.  Free returns adds on the requirement for the seller to also pay the return shipping.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

We need to start fighting back. Its bad enough they took our top seller status discount away last year with the 30 day return nonesnce but now they are forcing 30 day FREE returns. They took away 14 day returns altogether. Im heading in to change all my ads to NO RETURNS. I urge everyone to do the same. Dont let them back us into a hole. They will only keep the policy if we as a comunity let them. Fight back. Change all your listings to NO RETURNS.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

You are not required to offer free returns unless you want your listing to have the TRS plus status so that it qualifies for the discount.  I'm a bit confused about which categories are exempt from offering 30 day returns but most of your listings are under collectibles and I thought that collectibles could stay at 14 day returns?  Perhaps someone else could confirm that.

I changed from 14 day to 30 day returns a couple of years ago and there was no increase in returns so you might want to try doing that rather than going to no returns right away.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

ebay is offering 5 options for return: no returns (but as with current, INADs etc are an exception); 30 day buyer paid returns; 60 day buyer paid returns; 30 day seller paid; and 60 day seller paid.  So you can choose to not accept returns.  Personally, I think this will decrease my sales, and I dont get that many returns anyway.  At the very least, I will still accept 60 day buyer paid, but I am experimenting with 60 day free.  

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

@rock_crushers_unlimitedwrote:

Change all your listings to NO RETURNS.

That won't keep you from giving refunds.

If you have no returns, the buyer can claim the item is defective or damaged and file SNAD and get their money back and you still pay for return shipping, if you want the item back.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

In today's eCommerce environment--most sellers all over the web offer free shipping and returns. Most smart sellers on here just add the cost of the shipping and the return into the price of their products spread out throughout the whole inventory. People fight you over a return with a no return policy, and tend to file false SNADS to get their money back. Just some thoughts.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

•most sellers all over the web offer •free shipping and returns

Not any of the places I shop that I can think of. Many offer free shipping for orders over $25, $50, $75, $100, but none free returns. A few smaller merchants may have free shipping on some items IIRC.

I don't buy high margin, overpriced designer, etc goods, which I assume would would be the type that would have free shipping and returns.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

I sell gold nuggets and specimens. Some prospecting related statues and coins. There is no ( it dont fit ) or (its the wrong color) Gold is gold and thats that. The main problem is ebay is pushing out the very people that made them what they are today. The garage sale type. Back in the day ebay had commercials like come sell your used items, sell your garage sale stuff etc etc. If you think its right to offer anything more than 14 day (which by the way their taking away) then your crazy. They are trying to be and compete with sites that sell just new products. They know they are going to loose some smaller sellers but they dont care because thay will make more by not paying out the larger seller discounts.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

I keep hearing that but I don't believe it. I just had a return to Amazon and had to pay return shipping. It was a mistake on My part I picked the wrong colorf or the item I bought (remorse return. )

I was checking on a TV sales Company and this is their policy....

No matter the reason, XXX is here to help with our 30-day return policy for easy returns & free exchanges. For returns, send back returns-eligible merchandise within 30 days of the date you received the package for a refund of the purchase price, minus the shipping & handling and the X XX Return Label fee. For an exchange, simply use the X Return Label within 30 days of receipt to return your item for a free replacement of the same item in a different color or size. If your request for an exchange results in any additional merchandise or shipping costs, and you paid by credit card, your credit card will be charged for those additional costs. Payment methods other than a credit card may result in an order cancellation & a refund may be issued. If the requested exchange is no longer available, including items on waitlist and advance order, XXX will issue a refund and not deduct the X Return Label fee. If an item is returned due to defect, XXX was in error, or request for exchange/replacement, XXX will refund the shipping & handling and will not deduct the X Return Label fee.

As You can see they do send a return shipping label with the package that does NOT mean the return shipping is free....They are actually charging you for both the Original Shipping costs AND the return shipping costs.

If You do an exchange (perhaps the item does not fit)  your credit card will be charged for those additional costs. 

If an item is returned due to defect, XXX was in error,  XXX will refund the shipping & handling and will not deduct the X Return Label fee.

If an item is a request for exchange/replacement, XXX will refund the shipping & handling and will not deduct the X Return Label fee.   This statement is Not the same as the ONE above where it say they Will charge You for additional shipping...So In essence what IS the policy of XXX? 

I just don't think that FREE RETURN SHIPPING IS A PREVELENT as some would like us to believe...Maybe it will boost sales to the eBay site IF some offer it. The problem I see depending on Your return rate, is that Sellers will have to raise their prices to pay for this policy. Many Buyers come here for deals on common items used items and the prices will just have to be Higher. Smiley Wink Sugar

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

@rock_crushers_unlimitedwrote:
I sell gold nuggets and specimens. Some prospecting related statues and coins. There is no ( it dont fit ) or (its the wrong color) Gold is gold and thats that. The main problem is ebay is pushing out the very people that made them what they are today. The garage sale type. Back in the day ebay had commercials like come sell your used items, sell your garage sale stuff etc etc. If you think its right to offer anything more than 14 day (which by the way their taking away) then your crazy. They are trying to be and compete with sites that sell just new products. They know they are going to loose some smaller sellers but they dont care because thay will make more by not paying out the larger seller discounts.

eBay isn't taking away your ability to offer 14-day returns. In fact, you can specify "no returns".

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

Saying "no returns" doesnt do anything. I say "no returns" on all my listings. I just had a girl file a dispute on a shirt I sold her after a month. She took the tags off, wore it, smelled like smoke and ebay still allowed her to send it back at my expense.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Free Returns

There was an ebay expressions survey today about 30-day free returns and the liklihood that you would offer it in certain circumstances. What they didn't ask and I tried to convey is that the only reason I offer a 30 day return at all is because I get a discount. However, there is no way I'll offer free returns - EVER, especially not for a measly 10% discount on fees. Some things that I ship are heavy and can be $20 or more...this is too much of a risk. There is no system in place to tame abuse.

Yes, I hear that I'm still subject to "not as described" claims, but I deal with scammers and over the top buyers anyway who already ask me to refund shipping and have me pay return shipping. Rather than contact the seller, they just use the return process, because it is easier for them...so my feedback - this isn't a retail store. I will be going to NO RETURNS on June 1. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply