cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx asking for buyer's phone number...won't let me continue with label printing

I just sold a Navajo rug, and had entered what I thought the dimensions were on a mailing tube I had special ordered to ship it in.

Well, the mailing tube was slightly too small in diameter, so I have had to improvise, and have got it safely packed in the BOX that the mailing tube came in.

Went to the shipping calculator to input the dimensions, and now it says that USPS won't ship it, as it's too long.  (the box is 5" x 5" x 49").  

SO...I know that UPS won't ship to a PO Box (buyer's address is a PO Box), so I went to FedEx to print a label, and it won't allow me to get past the box that says it requires a phone number for the recipient.

I have used the eBay Messaging System to contact the buyer, and explain, including a screenshot of the FedEx shipping form, showing that it won't allow me to go any further with the process.  I have att'd the screenshot here, with buyer's name removed.

I have not heard back from the buyer, but doing a search here on the forums brings up all manner of people saying that FedEx doesn't require a phone number, and well, they DO.

I hope that the buyer understands the situation, and I am waiting to hear back from them.  But just for future reference, if FedEx is requiring a phone number for the recipient, how are we supposed to handle that?  I am not sure, but I thought that the eBay Message system wouldn't allow you to put your phone number in a message, so HOW is this supposed to work?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

FedEx asking for buyer's phone number...won't let me continue with label printing

You have it straightened out by now, but there are remaining issues for the future.

Your screenshot above shows using FedEx Ship Manager - not eBay FedEx labels which confuses the issue. If you use eBay labels for FedEx shipping it will usually have the buyer's phone number filled in.

You can check that by going through the motions of creating a FedEx label through eBay and see if the number is there (buyers also often put 111-111-1111 in)

When you go off the standard flow (ebay sale + ebay shipping label) things like not having a phone number will arise, but is a non-issue as far as I'm aware (no info that it was has ever made it back to me from a buyer or FedEx, although I suspect it wouldn't even if it had occurred)

The 111-111-1111 thing is a good solution, and you can also check the PayPal transaction for the sale for one. Sometimes the buyer opts to provide it there, but be aware the PayPal transaction info may not be 100% valid for the shipping destination. example:

PayPal account info and phone number are Babbette's in Ohio, but the shipping address is her brother Beauregard across the country in California - mostly pointless for FedEx to call Babbette in Ohio when they have an issue delivering in CA - but not completely since she could get a hold of her brother, so use discretion with that)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Try using your own phone number.  FedEx probably won't call anyway.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Whose shipping calculator were you using:  USPS doesn't have a length limit.  RUn your numbers through USPS's own shipping calculator and you'll see:

https://postcalc.usps.com

You can get the buyer's phone number through Advanced Search > Find contact information.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I used the eBay shipping calculator.  I clicked the "change weight and dimensions" link, and input the new dimensions and weight, and it came up with nothing.  Blank where the postage amounts should be.  There is a note saying "84" in combined length, width and girth".  see att'd screenshot of what it gave me.  That's why I went to FedEx.

Thank you for the tip on going through Advanced Search.  I will try that.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

OK...I SEE MY MISTAKE NOW!
I should have clicked the second "priority" button.
It will NOW let me input the numbers and gives me a rate.

SORRY FOR THE BOTHER...I'm glad USPS will do it.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I usually get the phone nember from the Pay Pal transaction and if there isn't one, I just use my phone number.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@yestergroove wrote:
OK...I SEE MY MISTAKE NOW!
I should have clicked the second "priority" button.
It will NOW let me input the numbers and gives me a rate.....

No, that is not the problem. With eBay's shipping calculator, there is no need to check off the "Large package" option, you'll see the same prices because they are based on the package dimensions

The problem is that you  entered different dimensions than the ones that you specified in the original post.  In the original post, you said 49x5x5, but the screen shot shows dimensions of 49x5x45. The length-plus girth of a package that is 49x5x45 is 149 inches, which is simply too big to ship via USPS. That's why there are little dashes for every service instead of prices.

Also, eBay's note about an 84-inch maximum for length-plus-girth is incorrect.  For Priority Mail, the maximum is 108 inches, and for Parcel Select it's 130 inches.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

All of my buyers who don't list a phone number seem to have the same number:  111-111-1111.

It works.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Just for future reference, FedEx can not ship to a PO Box either (unless buyer has set up street addressing and his PO participates in it).
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

My screenshot was a re-creation in order to illustrate.  I was exasperated and goofed as I was trying to show that the calculator would show no numbers.  If I plugged in the correct dimensions, it still would show no postage amounts.

And the solution was to click the "Priority Mail Large Package" option, as the upper limits did change from 84 to 108 when I did that.

I was unaware that FedEx would not do a PO Box.  I figured since it allowed me to input a po box as the address that it would go through if there was a phone number supplied.  The whole thing of it not allowing me to go any further without a phone number was the sticking point.

ANd thank you all for the suggestions of putting in either my own number or a fake number if FedEx requires it.  I will do that next time.  

I had only switched to FedEx in a semi-panic in order to get this item out asap.  I sent another Message thru the system to the buyer, acknowledging my goof and apologizing profusely.  With the USPS tracking number now in the system, I hope that she will not be upset.  I dropped it off at the post office this morning, so she should have it in a couple of days.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

And I thought there was a provision to edit a post to the forums here, but can't find it now. I goofed above on the second number. It wasn't 108, but I remember that it DID change to a number large enough that the box dimensions would be accepted when I clicked that second button for "Large Package".
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

That still doesn't make sense.  You  shoudl get the same results for USPS potage whether you check off regular or Large package.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

FedEx will only call if there is an issue w/delivery.  When I switched to FedEx for shipping there was an option to "require" the phone number when paying.  

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

You have it straightened out by now, but there are remaining issues for the future.

Your screenshot above shows using FedEx Ship Manager - not eBay FedEx labels which confuses the issue. If you use eBay labels for FedEx shipping it will usually have the buyer's phone number filled in.

You can check that by going through the motions of creating a FedEx label through eBay and see if the number is there (buyers also often put 111-111-1111 in)

When you go off the standard flow (ebay sale + ebay shipping label) things like not having a phone number will arise, but is a non-issue as far as I'm aware (no info that it was has ever made it back to me from a buyer or FedEx, although I suspect it wouldn't even if it had occurred)

The 111-111-1111 thing is a good solution, and you can also check the PayPal transaction for the sale for one. Sometimes the buyer opts to provide it there, but be aware the PayPal transaction info may not be 100% valid for the shipping destination. example:

PayPal account info and phone number are Babbette's in Ohio, but the shipping address is her brother Beauregard across the country in California - mostly pointless for FedEx to call Babbette in Ohio when they have an issue delivering in CA - but not completely since she could get a hold of her brother, so use discretion with that)

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the additional info!  I didn't realize the eBay FedEx label would have taken all that into consideration.

I will do my best to be more careful next time the issue comes up.  

At this point, it looks like her package arrived at the post office and is "available for pickup".  So this particular case is (hopefully) taken care of.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply