cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed Ex smart post damage

Spoiler

I shipped an iron antique frame that got damaged in shipment.  
The metal on the unit was all broken up.  I did not pay extra for insurance I don't think.  Is there any coverage on these, and what would be the process?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Fed Ex smart post damage

FedEx Smart Post and its UPS equivalent Mail Innovations are specialized multi-carrier (them and the USPS) services that are optimized for low-cost delivery of pretty much unbreakable items.

Regarding Smart Post, FedEx is only liable for damage if the item is damaged while in the custody of FedEx AND (this is yuge...) the tracking information is updated by FedEx to note that the item received damage in their custody.  If the tracking does not state item damage, then FedEx will not cover any damage and will of course maintain that said damage was done by the USPS.  Since the item does not carry USPS insurance, the USPS is off the hook for damage as well.

So, unless your tracking states Damaged, or you took out shipping insurance from some provider other than FedEX and/or USPS, then the damage is uncovered.

Based on what we know at this point, get ready to send the Buyer a refund.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Fed Ex smart post damage

I have initiated a claim; I looked at a number of seller's issues with Smartpost, and those who pursued the claim after some type of FedEx denial.  Go over their heads; one guy suggested BBB; I usually go through the state Consumer affairs and get the problem addressed at that point.  There are lots of levers to establish proof of damage while with FedEx.  I will contact the delivering usps people tomorrow.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Fed Ex smart post damage

Getting an insurance pay out with FedEx SmartPost is EXTREMELY difficult. BUT this is NOT something you have to worry about. Insurance is for the SELLERS protection.

Contact the seller and inform them of the damage, include pictures of both the item and the packaging. If you can not resolve it then it would be time to file a SNAD claim.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Fed Ex smart post damage

The OP is the shipper which I am assuming is also the seller.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Fed Ex smart post damage

@johnrj1226 wrote:

The OP is the shipper which I am assuming is also the seller.

In that case they are probably screwed.

I work as a mail carrier. We get SmartPost deliveries on wrapped pallets. We can not inspect the packages for any damage until AFTER we sign for the delivery. We have even had an incident where the pallet left a trail from the edge of the dock into the PO. As it turned out the package (opened for inspection to insure that it wasn't anything hazardous) turned out to be a case of shelf stable Rice Milk. This had not only showed several broken containers but also soaked several other packages. FedEx claimed that the damage that happened was in USPS hands because it was scanned damaged only by USPS, no matter that the FedEx truck had a puddle in it and the damage was scanned less than 5 minutes after USPS took control of the pallet.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Fed Ex smart post damage

That should generate legal action for fraud; if they are handling packages so badly they must be responsible for the damage.  Companies need to file legal claims with the state or other authority. The corporations are rich and getting richer, producers and small self employed people should not be getting ripped off for their bad actions.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply