cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay buyer is claiming I am scamming him and sent him the wrong item

Hello I recently sold a computer part, specifically graphics card. It was a GTX 1070 Ti by Asus, ROG Strix model.

I listed it as brand new, never opened.

Here are pictures from my listing: https://imgur.com/a/D5iR8

The buyer received the item today and today opened a case wanting to return the item because he believed it did not match the description as he points out in his picture here:https://i.imgur.com/DQDt7Aw.jpg

His message simply says, "Item is not what I order. This person scammed me." He has about 100 positive feedback and been a member since the mid 2000s.

Which is clearly two different items, the item I sent him has 3 fans/wheels. The item he is showing only has 2.

For those not familiar with these types of items you can compare this situation to something such as where a buyer buys an iphone X for $1,000 and claims he is receiving and iphone 5 or 6 that you could buy right now for half that amount or even less.

The buyer bought this item from me for $845 USD and believe that he has buyers remorse and or was planning to do this from the very beginning. I believe that he has buyers remorse because of the volatile nature of the pricing of these specific items, computer graphic cards.

For an example at the time he bought this item the going rate for that specific model was around in the $830 mark, however shortly after he bought the item from me the going rate for the same specific item was $730 or so.

I believe he regrets buying the item from me when he did. I purchased the item new from amazon and still have a return window on the item until March 9.

I have sold over 20 of these items within the past month alone, totalling over $18,000 in sales. No one has had a complaint with me before. I also have over 900 positive feedback rating and a member since the mid 2000s. I've only ever had maybe 1-4 people ever make a claim against me in that time.

Has anyone been in this situation or a very similar situation like this before? I'm wondering if ebay is just going to agree with the buyer and have to just refund him.

If there is no way I can get ebay to take my side then the best thing for me to do is just return the item to Amazon, providing they will believe me (or rather his story) that the item came like that which I doubt they will because they have quality control and was sold the item directly by Amazon, not a third party member on the market place.

What should I do?

Thanks for taking the time to read my concerns, I'm having trouble sleeping right now because of this

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Just keep saying, "return for refund".  Unfortunately you are selling a very expensive item that is ripe for scamming.

POsTiNg Id
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

You can't run around accusing everyone of scamming and being a Nigerian scammer.  I contributed to oyur other post, and I'm sorry it happened.  You have to chill with that stuff.

POsTiNg Id
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

But it was just coincidence that this occurred at exactly the same time I made my complaint.  Assuming I'm correct, regardless of where, since my scammed item/items is Chinese, if this seller has multiple addresses it could be gathered that they are a scammer, no?

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

So basically, just avoid anybody like this guy that uses multiple addresses, claims to be in the USA but is not, ships from foreign countries and demands the package be there within a week... Just stay away from people like that, yeah?  **bleep** eBay.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

You will find a lot of coincidences on here.  That doesn't mean everyone is a scammer.  What happened to you is odd, and this sounds like a scam too from the buyer, not the seller.

POsTiNg Id
Message 6 of 44
latest reply

What do you mean return for refund?

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

Also here is my order details from amazon where I bought the item to resell:

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

@winnerwinnersavemoneyfordinnerwrote:

What do you mean return for refund?

Your buyer says that's the wrong item.

You need to address this.

You need to tell your buyer, "RETURN FOR REFUND".

Only tell them that.

POsTiNg Id
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

Why would I tell him to return for refund?

He is just going to send back the cheaper item that I didn't send him

Imagine if I sold him a new iphone X for $1,000 and now he's claiming he received an iphone 5 instead that would be half or even less than half that value

He's just going to send back an iphone 5 back when I sent him an iphone X

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Did you buy the item from Amazon and had it shipped to you, or did you have Amazon ship it to your buyer?

If you had Amazon ship the item, you have no idea if the correct item was shipped or not.

I would have the buyer return the item and give them a refund.

Happy Easter
Message 11 of 44
latest reply

That's a good one... I imagine it would work pretty well for you if you didn't share pictures of the IMEI or anything like that.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

of course I had it shipped to me.  I bought the item on amazon, recieved it, sold it to him

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

So Amazon should have the IMEI and serial numbers, and then you can use that to try and prove your case against this buyer.  But that is a good scam.  Bravo if you actually get anywhere with that.  Amazon will have the serial number, which of course you took a picture of, right, along with the IMEI since you're so legit?

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

If the buyer filed an Item Not As Described case and you don't respond to the case and except the return, Ebay could refund their money and let them keep the item.

You could be out the money and item.

Happy Easter
Message 15 of 44
latest reply