cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Return policy

I use the Ebay 30 day return policy in my store, because I feel if the customer doesn't like the item then they should have the opportunity to return it under the impression they will pay the return shipping.  Last week, I had a guy return a gun holster and he put in the box that "item didn't look like pic" which causes the seller to have to pay return shipping.  I called Ebay to ask about it, because the statment was untrue.  They told me well..........you should contact the buyer and ask if he's wants a partial refunded or something.  I said "no", I feel he made a false statement and now I'm out shipping cost, which I felt was not right. I feel the seller's should have the right to deny a return, point blank.  Also, I offer free shipping for every item in my store.  Today, I had another return, this person puts in the box " defected or didn't work" and wrote in the statements that it felt uncomfortable when wearing.   Now, again because he put defective, I have to pay his return shipping.  I opened a Ebay store to make a little revenue, not to lose revenue.  This will probably be my last day having Ebay's return policy, I will probably make my own return policy.   Just irrertated ........

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Ebay Return policy

eBay return policy will trump any policy that you make when the buyer uses the reasons that you have shown, you will still pay return

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

If the buyer selects a "not as described" reason, you will pay the return shipping regardless of your return policy. Return policies are only for buyer's remorse - I don't like it, it doesn't fit, it makes my butt look big, the color doesn't match my dog's fur..."

If you have a NO RETURNS policy, you CAN deny returns for buyer's remorse. That won't stop them from going to Paypal, but if they go to Paypal, the return shipping is on them, no matter the reason.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

well actually its all part of business...free shipping has noting to do with returns...it to get more sales....and buyer bring back stuff to store too...with reasons that aren't exactly true. as far as you own return policy...well it will not help...you are using EBAY , so they have there own policies. Don't want to lose money, raise prices to cove these "losses"... don't offer free shipping....

as for a buyer opinion...you can't prove it..and so if you get it back and can sell it again, you out some but not all....ebay can't cjhange people and you have to understand how it all works and figure out how to make a buck...ebay doesn't say you will make money...you are simply provided a place where you can...but it is tough at times.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

EBay is now called the house of SNAD returns. There is not much you can do about those except to accept the return and pay for return shipping. Most buyers know that they can use that to get out of any return shipping fees and restocking charges. I would (and I have) change your returns policy to "No Returns". That is your best chance of avoiding SNAD returns. Now, the cheerleaders will chime in and say, "That will just encourage SNAD returns", but as you have seen, having a returns policy doesn't help whereas a No Returns policy you have a small chance of fighting. You’re the new Costco.

BTW "your own return policy" is MEANINGLESS on eBay.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

...If you have a NO RETURNS policy, you CAN deny returns for buyer's remorse....

THIS is correct!

If you have ANY return policy, you CAN'T. (you are expected to accept the return)

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

If the buyer selects a "not as described" reason, you will pay the return shipping regardless of your return policy. Return policies are only for buyer's remorse - I don't like it, it doesn't fit, it makes my butt look big, the color doesn't match my dog's fur..."

If you have a NO RETURNS policy, you CAN deny returns for buyer's remorse. That won't stop them from going to Paypal, but if they go to Paypal, the return shipping is on them, no matter the reason.

This.  At least if you can prove remorse you can deny the return, and it sounds like you don't have much to lose in making the change. All sellers should consider this change, because ebay is forcing a return, SNAD or not, as long as you have a return policy.  Not fair, not right, and defendable by using their own policies against them, but not if you take returns.  

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

I'm curious if you called on the second one. That sounds like a buyer remorse reason.

Anyways, I have always had a no returns policy. Back in the day a seller had a fighting chance against a false SNAD. Nowadays, everybody knows they are covered if there is a problem. I see no reason to allow remorse returns, unless you are a brand. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

OP~~You are NOT a TRS so there is no reason to even have a return policy.  The 30 day return policy is a qualification TRS sellers have to use to get a discount on FVF.  I'm sure many will drop that come May 1 when their discount drops from 20% to 10%.  It isn't going to hurt you at all to change to no returns. 

I have a no return policy and have had it for a few years now.  I also have a 3 day handling time.  No returns has helped me quite a few times over the years.  Some buyers lie to keep from paying return shipping but many will send you a message with the true reason for requesting a return.  Then if they use a SNAD as a reason when opening a return request all you have to do is call ebay, have them read the message the buyer sent you and it will close in your favor. 

Even with a no return policy and a 3 day handling time I'm a TRS~~I just don't jump through the hoops for the discount.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

life on desert ebay
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

eBay return policy will trump any policy that you make when the buyer uses the reasons that you have shown, you will still pay return

I don't seem to be having that experience.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

@freezebreath wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I don't seem to be having that experience.

Yet

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

It doesn’t meter if you have your own return policy, eBay don’t give the $#it about sellers return policy. If buyers doesn’t want to pay for shipping, they simply lies by opening the case and says that item is not as described or damaged, sellers are automatically screwed. You will pay for everything, and buyer will get full refund!!! …only one thing you can do is to pray, that when your item returns, it's still in the same/working condition.

In just last month I've had two buyers as you described in your story.

1st item was not working, so I listed as for parts or repairs with no returns policy. Buyer kept the item for two days and then without contacting me or eBay, he went to the post office and refused the package. Then through his financial company he open the case on PayPal against me …guess what eBay and PayPal did? …eBay completely nothing, PayPal right away took the money from my balance and reimbursed the buyer. Remember, buyer cannot just refuse the item, it is against eBay’s and PayPal’s policy!!!!! …I had a double protection …LMAO

2nd item was used Intel 6th Generation Motherboard, and I listed it with 14 days money back and buyer pays return shipping. Long story short, buyer made a mistake by purchasing from me 6th Generation Motherboard, for her 7th Generation Processor …it is incompatible and it will not work!!! …then she realized that she make mistake, but she didn’t want to pay for return shipping, so she opened a case saying that the item came damaged and is not working. eBay did completely nothing to protect me from this fraud, instead they refund the buyer to the last penny.

So, like I said before, It doesn’t meter if you make your own return policy, eBay and PayPal don’t give a $#it about sellers return policy, buyer will always win …if buyer doesn’t want to pay for return shipping, simply he/she has to say that item is damaged and is not working!!!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

It doesn’t meter if you have your own return policy, to eBay your return policy means nothing. If buyers don’t want to pay for shipping, they simply lie by opening the case and say that item is not as described or damaged, sellers are automatically screwed. You will pay for everything, and buyer will get full refund!!! …only one thing you can do is to pray, that when your item returns, it's still in the same/working condition.

In last month I've had two buyers as you described in your story.

1st item was not working, so I listed as for parts or repairs with no returns policy. Buyer kept the item for two days and then without contacting me or eBay, he went to the post office and refused the package. Then through his financial company he open the case on PayPal against me …guess what eBay and PayPal did? …eBay completely nothing, PayPal right away took the money from my balance and reimbursed the buyer. Remember, buyer cannot just refuse the item, it is against eBay’s and PayPal’s policy!!!!! …I had a double protection …LMAO

2nd item was used Intel 6th Generation Motherboard, and I listed it with 14 days money back and buyer pays return shipping. Long story short, buyer made a mistake by purchasing from me 6th Generation Motherboard, for her 7th Generation Processor …it is incompatible and it will not work!!! …then she realized that she made a mistake, but she didn’t want to pay for return shipping, so she opened a case saying that the item came damaged and is not working. eBay did completely nothing to protect me from this fraud, instead they refund the buyer to the last penny.

So, like I said before, It doesn’t meter if you make your own return policy, eBay and PayPal don’t care about sellers return policy, buyer will always win …if buyer doesn’t want to pay for return shipping, simply he/she has to say that item is damaged and is not working!!!

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Ebay Return policy

Spamming the boards:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/d/p/td-p/27495085

"Members should only post one thread per topic on the most relevant board for the issue or question."

Message 15 of 22
latest reply