cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious how many sellers pass along the shipping discounts to buyers???

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been giving discount to my buyers, but I'm seriously rethinking that option.

Do you, or don't you?

Pass along the shipping discounts to buyers?

or

Pocket those savings to help alleviate some of the expenses with selling on ebay?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

I don't.  Never have, never will. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

I ship everything for free, so there isn't anything to give.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

On items under 1 lb, I ship for free.  On items over 1 lb, I list at Parcel Select prices, then upgrade their packages to Priority Mail at no extra cost (it costs me about the same).  If the package is too large for Priority to be the same cost, it goes Parcel Select at the price the buyer paid. 

Undoubtedly I will have to make adjustments to that procedure when the new postage rates come out in January. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

"On items over 1 lb, I list at Parcel Select prices, then upgrade their packages to Priority Mail at no extra cost (it costs me about the same)."

Why don't you just say in the listing that it will be shipped via Priority Mail?

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Oh heck no. Not with ebay charging a fee on shipping and then paypal doing the same. I have to recoup some of that loss. 

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

myboardid wrote: On items over 1 lb, I list at Parcel Select prices, then upgrade their packages to Priority Mail at no extra cost (it costs me about the same).
Undoubtedly I will have to make adjustments to that procedure when the new postage rates come out in January. 

That amounts to a "Yes" answer to the original question, since with Parcel Select you are charging the online rate.  

The current prices for Parcel Select are the same as the Commercial Base prices for Priority Mail (or just 5 cents less) for Zones 1 - 8 for weights up to 18 pounds.  The new rates that go into effect in January, the prices are the same or ONE cent apart for weights up to at least 50 pounds!  So it won't make any sense to offer Parcel Select unless you  (1) are shipping a package that's over 1 cubic foot; (2) are shipping hazmat that must go by ground; or (3) want buyers to get a fake sense of "upgrade" when actually the prices for the two services are the same.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

When I see a seller with Parcel Select for shipping small packages under 18 pounds, I kind of laugh because it shows that they don't know what they are doing.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been giving discount to my buyers, but I'm seriously rethinking that option.

Do you, or don't you?

or

Pocket those savings to help alleviate some of the expenses with selling on ebay?

I've never gave shipping discounts to buyers. With the increase in usps shipping increases, it's not practical at all.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

No . . . but that's because I pay retail postage, either affixed at the PO counter or with stamps.  And my quoted s&h rates generally include a bit extra, too.

In September, I did send 2 domestic and 1 international orders via FCPS with online prepaid labels because I was working full time and had easy access to a computer and printer.  The 2 domestic packages were picked up by the courier service at 9:30 a.m. and received the first tracking scan before 1:00 p.m.  I chose to take the international package to the PO personally, on my way home from work, because the courier just dumps all packages from his route and leaves.  I also wanted to make sure it was OK to specify the weight as 2 lbs. even though the actual weight was 1 lb. 5 oz.  (It is, since international FCPS postage is the same for 9 oz. to 32 oz.) 

For the 3 orders, I charged a total s&h of $30.25.  I paid out $28.03.  The $2.22 difference helped pay for miscellaneous expenses.

Bottom line:  Most sellers charge USPS retail postage, with or without a handling fee.  The small difference between retail and commercial rates is a way to offset mailing costs without increasing the actual selling price.  

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

I did back in late Jan - the overage was about $1.49, so I sent the buyer $2.00 in cash with a nice thank you card . . . received a snarky response via email and said, never again.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I always pass it on, If I didnt I would never get a sale. Shipping is so high now already  I haven't been able to replace my scale after Hurrican Harvey..Soon I hope and it will help.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you, or don't you?

or

All of my under 16 ounce booklets and paper items  ship flat rate "economy" for $3.50 or $4. I decide whether to use FCM or Media Mail, whichever is appropriate.   Regular books one pound and up ship flat rate "economy" for $4 and I use Media Mail. Books and book lots up to five pounds ship flat rate "economy" at $5 or $6 using Media Mail.  Any books over five pounds (rare for me) gets calculated shipping, Parcel or Priority at retail rates. Of course, everyone picks Parcel, and I always ship Priority. For lots, I try not to exceed the size of an RRA box.

Anything over a pound that isn't a book gets buyers choice of Parcel or Priority, retail rates, again same as above. If they choose Parcel, I ship Priority.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

I tried to be nice because I know that shipping was always a stickler here, but maybe that buyer was/is just like 😞  

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

The discount pays for 10% fee, boxes, shipping supplies and gas to the post office. Almost. 

I remember when if you asked Alexa to change the channel, she had to go to the TV and turn the knob. ~ iowa_east_coast
Message 15 of 39
latest reply