cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined shipping for 6 items...buyer is returning ONE AT A TIME

SO, apparently there is a loophole in ebay's return system that allows buyer abuse of returns with ebay's blessings it appears.

A buyer purchased 6 videogames from me, 6 different auctions ending the same day.  I combined the invoice, and shipped as one packagin once paid.

The USPS damaged the box, and some or all of the 6 items were damaged.  I told the buyer to put in a return request for all or some of the items and I would approve the return and issue a return label.  They start whining about how unsatisfying an experience, blah blah blah as if this were my fault somehow....i packaged the item VERY securely but only a STEEL BOX would have prevented damage from whatever impact this item received (i shipped in a NEW currugated box with more reinforcement INSIDE the box...it really was as bullet-proof as it could be but of course nothing is REALLY bullet-proof).

Anyway, they respond that they will have to inspect each item very slowly and return them one at a time, thus forcing me to pay return shipping 6 times even though these were shipped together.  I got the first game back with a prepaid return label, and figured that was the only item damaged.  A few hours after I refunded the first game, they requested a return on a second of six games.  Even the behavior is suspect--if they wanted to return multiple items, why are they staggering the returns instead of sending them all back the same day, even if insisting on separate packages, separate labels, separate returns charges.  I did inform them I would only issue one return label and that all items should be included but they ignored that and started a second return just after the first one was refuned.  I can expect this 4 more times as there were a total of six items in the box.  Presumably they were all damaged but I really don't even know if that's the case.

This seems abusive and punitive but ebay states this is how the buyers are instructed to return items!  

Does anyone know if this indeed the process for returning multiple items from different listings but invoiced and shipped together?  I can not find anything that states the buyer is doing the right thing but when I called ebay the supervisor I spoke to said this is how buyers are instructed to return items.

Really disgusted at this point.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Anyway, they respond that they will have to inspect each item very slowly and return them one at a time, thus forcing me to pay return shipping 6 times even though these were shipped together.  This is where I would have stopped him/her.  

I would have the buyer return all items for a refund and not return them on a daily basis.  All or nothing, especially if he/she did not pay for shipping individually.  

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

It seems like your buyer is punishing you for for something the shipper did. Or this could be a new scam too, play the games until he returns them one by one. In any case, I would tell him that you will only return them all at once and then when he files a return, keep trying to contact ebay until you can reach someone who will actually help you. You should not have to accept 6 separate return shipping charges. You will put him on your blocked list so he can't buy anything else from you, won't you?

Message 3 of 77
latest reply

problem is, ebay is siding with the buyer...i DID already tell him after the first threat that I would only issue a single return label and to include all damaged or even all items for a refund.  He/she ignored that and is starting this nonsense and ebay is enabling the behavior, telling me THE BUYER IS FOLLOWING THE CORRECT PROCEDURE.  So it matters not what I said previously or in the future...this behavior is considered acceptable in the eyes of at least one supervisor I spoke to.

Yes i've already blocked the buyer, and unfortunately I now have to add another buyer requirement to prevent buyers from making multiple purchases from me because of this ridiculous loophole.  I've also come to the conclusion my time is better spent focusing on the 'other' venue.

Message 4 of 77
latest reply

Re: Combined shipping for 6 items...buyer is returning ONE AT A TIME

Why aren't you understanding this?

Can buyers initiate a single return for more than one item?

No. Unless they were purchased as part of a multi-quantity item, buyers must initiate a return for each item individually.

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

Yes, but the buyer should mail them all back together at once.

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I think somebuyers forget we are actual people, not a big corporation like walmart.

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

No. Unless they were purchased as part of a multi-quantity item, buyers must initiate a return for each item individually.

where is that information?   Could you please post the link?  These were all purchased at the same time and shipped together after invoiced together.  I'd like to understand why this policy exists and if it does apply to my situation.  As far as I knew, when you are asked about a return, it gives you a selection of items from the same order to chose from.  

As for implying im stupid, obviously a lot of people don't know about this so FOAD.

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

why aren't you understanding THIS:

For each return requested through My eBay, we generally provide one return shipping label. If you find that you need multiple return shipping labels to ship multiple packages back to the seller, contact the seller to make alternate shipping arrangements for the packages.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/return-item.html

The buyer contacted me and threatened to send everything back slowly and separately.  I informed him/her/it that we only will issue ONE return label and to include all items he/she/it wanted to return.

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

Yes, but the buyer should mail them all back together at once.

thats how i see it....why wouldn't they return everything on the same day at least, if ebay is going to force us to allow returns staged like this.  

I know from the first return they are swapping out manuals, inserts...for example, the damage to the outside of the box does not match the damage to the inside insert.

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

Items that were purchased individually can be returned individually. You will issue a return label for all individual items returned because the buyer won all the cases. If you do not, the buyer will get refunded anyway, and you will get however many defects for the amount of return labels you don't send them. eBay will consider not sending the labels as ignoring those cases.

It seems that if someone opens a bunch of cases and wins, they have to return the items individually so they can upload the different tracking numbers into the cases. If they returned them all in the same box, they could not prove they returned all the items, and those cases with no individual tracking number could be closed in your favor if you decided to cheat the buyer. They would lose the rest of their refunds.

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

@muchmerch wrote:

@hafoster wrote:

where is that information? Could you please post the link?

As for implying im stupid, obviously a lot of people don't know about this so FOAD.

@e-cheddar, not familiar with that expression, but --

if it helps explain quoting/requoting the link for which you're asking --

please also click on that underlined link, perhaps rather than asking for it?

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

Sorry, but it doesn't really matter what you think or want. What does matter is the buyer can return each item individually since they were bought that way.

Of course, you can do what you want. And get defects for doing so.

Message 13 of 77
latest reply

@e-cheddar wrote:

problem is, ebay is siding with the buyer...i DID already tell him after the first threat that I would only issue a single return label and to include all damaged or even all items for a refund.  He/she ignored that and is starting this nonsense and ebay is enabling the behavior, telling me THE BUYER IS FOLLOWING THE CORRECT PROCEDURE.  So it matters not what I said previously or in the future...this behavior is considered acceptable in the eyes of at least one supervisor I spoke to.

Yes i've already blocked the buyer, and unfortunately I now have to add another buyer requirement to prevent buyers from making multiple purchases from me because of this ridiculous loophole.  I've also come to the conclusion my time is better spent focusing on the 'other' venue.

The best I can tell you is I always reply CHEERFULLY to all the buyer requests, being resistant to a buyer's demands only makes most of them dig in their heels and in this game sellers can't win.

What has helped me greatly is I have typed up and saved text files full of answers such as:

Dear Buyer,

I am so sorry you are unhappy with your purchase, please return for a full refund.

Thank you,

Seller.

^ I simply copy and paste it to every message any trouble whatsoever a buyer has, I don't care the rhyme or reason because I NEVER entertain the buyer's conversation.

Not true, I'm not perfect but getting into the buyer's conversation will end in regret sooner or later.

So always, anytime there's any trouble at all: Please return for a refund.

Thank you.

Then when they mail me again, same exact reply!!!

And if they ask about this and that and the other but, same exact reply again.

And the third time, and the fourth time, ditto and ditto.

Here's why:

@candd205 wrote:

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I think somebuyers forget we are actual people, not a big corporation like walmart.

Correct so if they treat you like Walmart you should feel free to act like Walmart.

Thank you, please come again.

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

I guess my question is~~why in the world are you shipping video games free using USPS parcel ground service?  Why are you offering priority mailing at $3.49?   $3.49 would cover the cost of 1st class mailing~~surely not priority mailing.  If the buyer returns them using priority mailing it will cost you just under $7.00 each for the return shipping.  The $3.49 will probably cover 1st class mailing with tracking~~the buyer has to provide tracking to ebay to prove they returned each & every item.

I don't offer combined shipping for this very reason.  YOU can't prove what you shipped and if the buyer combines shipping on the return THEY can't prove what they returned to you.  It appears the buyer knows more than you do.

Message 15 of 77
latest reply