cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone confirm that Ebay's FedEx 2 Day shipping label estimate/cost is accurate?

I shipped a package (7lbs 12oz, 13" x 11" x 10") from California 94137 to Ohio 44074. I initially printed a FedEx Home Delivery Label for $14.18. For whatever reason the FedEx 2 Day pricing for the same package caught my eye; price was $14.95 (86% savings). For $0.77, the upgrade for faster shipping was an easy decision. I printed the FedEx 2 Day Label but decided to double check the shipping cost on the FedEx website which was $103.23 for the 2 Day option. I eventually shipped the package with the Home Delivery Label in fear that I would be charged some crazy fee using the 2 Day Label.

The price discrepancy can't be right with that huge Ebay discount. Can anyone confirm that the FedEx 2 Day estimate/price is legit from actual experience of purchasing and using the labels? Thank you in advance to all responses.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Can anyone confirm that Ebay's FedEx 2 Day shipping label estimate/cost is accurate?

Doesn't Fedex weigh the package when you hand it over? And peruse the label? Wouldn't they charge you for the overage at the counter? Or did you have them pick it up?

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

@anything_goes_2005 wrote:

The price discrepancy can't be right with that huge Ebay discount. Can anyone confirm that the FedEx 2 Day estimate/price is legit from actual experience of purchasing and using the labels? Thank you in advance to all responses.

@anything_goes_2005 

I asked an eBay employee about this, and he said that the prices are correct (link).   Of course, we really won't know for sure until the FedEx bills start appearing on our statements in February and March.

One VERY IMPORTANT tip for shipping with FedEx is to make sure your exterior package is a rectangular, plain box sealed with packing tape.  There are many, many gotcha fees that FedEx will slap on your package if they deem it unfit for their automated handling system (e.g., wrapped in mylar, using duct tape).

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Thanks for the reply and info Orangehound. We all know that any information provided in these forums (even official) must be heavily scrutinized. I will delay the use of FedEx 2 Day shipping until I see or hear that the eBay pricing for this option closely match the final charge. The package referenced in this message sold for a total $74.99. Imagine using the FedEx 2 Day option because eBay quoted a price of $14.95 and receiving a final charge of 6-8 times the estimated price.  The worst part about this potential scenario is trying to get eBay or FedEx to provide an explanation on the price gap and the chances of getting some kind of correction/compensation is close to nil.

I have been using FedEx for years and never had an issue with eBay's estimated cost and final charge. Sometimes the numbers slightly vary, but nothing has been significant enough to raise a concern. I am not well versed in the FedEx "gotcha fees" but do not doubt they exist.  I always overstate my package dimensions/weight and make sure that my labels are clearly printed. These procedures appear to be enough to get me by without any issues.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Well, I've got a FedEx 2-Day guinea pig shipment going out to a zone 8 today ... $14.95 for 9 pounds.   I'm fully expecting to get a $35-40 FedEx bill and throwing a "told ya - I knew it" back at the eBay employee because I'm skeptical of the price.  But, I won't know until I try (or someone tries).

I'll try to remember to repost in affected threads once FedEx sends the bill. 

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

@orangehound   I have two out for delivery today.  We'll see what the invoice looks like at the end of the month.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

Well, I've got a FedEx 2-Day guinea pig shipment going out to a zone 8 today ... $14.95 for 9 pounds.   I'm fully expecting to get a $35-40 FedEx bill and throwing a "told ya - I knew it" back at the eBay employee because I'm skeptical of the price.  But, I won't know until I try (or someone tries).

You will get adjusted charges. 2nd day Fed Ex letters are more than 14.95.

And anyone using fed ex should have their own account, and link it to ebay. That way you are the shipper of record and can contest the charges if they are inappropriate.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

And anyone using fed ex should have their own account, and link it to ebay. That way you are the shipper of record and can contest the charges if they are inappropriate.

@earlyant-77 

That deep discount price is correct according to (a) the eBay shipping calculator, (b) eBay labels, and (c) an eBay employee ... due to the low "negotiated" rate that eBay was able to acquire.

Now, just waiting to see if FedEx agrees.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@earlyant-77 

That deep discount price is correct according to (a) the eBay shipping calculator, (b) eBay labels, and (c) an eBay employee ... due to the low "negotiated" rate that eBay was able to acquire.

@orangehound 

Well, I don't think Fed Ex will agree ........

Be nice if they did, though, but I wouldn't hold my breath. And some of the 'adjusted sizes' I've seen from Fed Ex is like it measured 3-4 cartons together. If you don't have your own Fed Ex account linked(so YOU can call), good luck trying to get ebay to get that money back for you!

And I have watched UPS charge for an address change, then charge for a 2nd address change back to the original address(no corrections). A lot of large companies don't/won't go through their bills to catch stuff like this.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@earlyant-77 

@orangehound 

Well, I don't think Fed Ex will agree ........

My gut tells me the same thing, but I'm willing to risk $20-30 to see if the FedEx rates that are being offered through eBay are actually correct ...

I may be taking one for the eBay selling team.  🙂

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

@orangehound @anything_goes_2005 I have a pair of Fed Ex 2day and multiple FedEx ground shipments under the new rates that have invoiced. ALL were invoiced at or BELOW the quoted rate. 

2 of the FedEx ground were actually lower than the quoted rate, and it appears that they may be applying a better divisor than what eBay shows.  Both shipped at the actual weight (1 lb less than the quoted dimensional weight), so it appears that the divisor has changed.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Thanks for the info dtexley3. Gives me enough confidence to give the FedEx 2 Day a whirl on a couple of packages.
Message 12 of 46
latest reply

I used FedEx 2 Day Shipping 4 times during the month of January.  And, yes, the costs were wildly below what FedEx charges if you go to their website, enter the customer's shipping information, and get a quote from them of what the shipping cost would be.

I just reviewed my eBay invoice for the month of January, and the charges eBay billed me for those shipments were in fact exactly what eBay quoted.  So unless eBay subsequently adjusts those shipping charges, the low costs are for real.

I've tried to think of why they're so low.  One thing that comes to mind is that possibly the negotiated prices are promotional on the part of FedEx.  Perhaps FedEx wants a bigger share of business from eBay sellers, and maybe the price will go up somewhat in the future, but will still be much lower than it used to be.

Another thought:   I've placed some pretty low value orders with some major retailers, and I've noticed that in some cases they've used FedEx 2 Day--or even 1 Day.  By pretty low value, I mean orders where the total cost is as low as about $35.  That leads me to believe that FedEx may also have very low negotiated prices with some high volume retailers (obviously, the retailers would lose quite a bit of money on a $35 order if they paid FedEx retail prices).  Of course, these explanations are just guesses on my part--with regard to continued low FedEx pricing on eBay, the future will tell.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Mercari has an even better deal on Fedex.  Up to 10 lbs, with no dimensional weight for 11.50 so FedEx is cutting deals.  You have to know that eBay is likely getting a significant income stream out of this.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Agree. People need to take advantage of FedEx rates on Mercari. Make money now before things change! I’d rather pay $11 shipping for 6 lb item safely packaged than a similar thing with $30-$45 shipping seen on eBay. The shipping cost more than the item itself! 

Message 15 of 46
latest reply