cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ship a bike via BikeFlights?

I want to sell a bike using ebay's calculated shipping method, but only USPS, UPS, and FedEx are listed as options.  I want to use BikeFlights, because it's MUCH cheaper than the three standard options.   (Yes, I know that FedEx will ultimately be the service that delivers my bike through BikeFlights, but if I choose FedEx as my shipping option in the shipping calculator, it comes up with a far higher rate than the actual rate.)

Is there a way to offer this service to buyers?  Or, at the very least, is there a way to use the shipping calculator's FedEx option to reflect the actual (or approximate) rate that would be paid through BikeFlights?

I appreciate any advice.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You can obtain the min-max BikeFlights rates to various areas of the country. Pick a zip code in each of the 8 postal zones to get the range -- then pick a number you like. Add this amount to the selling price and offer "shipping included." Don't name a specific carrier, just indicate the generic Economy, Standard or Expedited according to the estimated in-transit time. Be sure to require a street address since the ultimate carrier is FedEx. Or use the fixed-rate menu and name your price, applicable to any American zip code. Split the cost between selling price and shipping amount if you wish. Another option is to select Freight -- eBay does not require you to supply a dollar amount -- and ask the buyer to wait for an invoice. In your listing, you should mention the price range and perhaps name selected cities and their respective amounts. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You are free to ship anyway you want, but YOU are responsible for getting the item to the buyer in the condition described. IMO, bikes are NOT cost effective to ship. You should be VERY careful in how much you charge for shipping. Also, what are your plans for a SNAD (not as described) case? I would ask Craig if he is interested in the bike myself. Good Luck!

BTW, to use a different service choose Economy or Standard shipping in the drop down (unnamed service).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You can obtain the min-max BikeFlights rates to various areas of the country. Pick a zip code in each of the 8 postal zones to get the range -- then pick a number you like. Add this amount to the selling price and offer "shipping included." Don't name a specific carrier, just indicate the generic Economy, Standard or Expedited according to the estimated in-transit time. Be sure to require a street address since the ultimate carrier is FedEx. Or use the fixed-rate menu and name your price, applicable to any American zip code. Split the cost between selling price and shipping amount if you wish. Another option is to select Freight -- eBay does not require you to supply a dollar amount -- and ask the buyer to wait for an invoice. In your listing, you should mention the price range and perhaps name selected cities and their respective amounts. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You can use the flat rate approach as Duchess outlined or you could TRY to kludge the setup by using a reduced weight and/or size along with possibly using a fixed handling fee to make an adjustment.

You would need to obtain the amounts for all the zones for Bikeflight shipping to see what you have to work with, and then play with the eBay calculator http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator using fudged weights and dimensions to see if you can get it close. (or use the FedEx chart lookups in the service guide.)

If you provide the boxed weight and dimensions, and Bikeflight quotes for the zones (1&2,3,4,5,6,7,8), I'll see if I can see a way to game the FedEx calculations to match. (Domestic only - no international). It may not be possible, but should be closer than the averaging near/far method.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply