cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Add Insurance With the USPS After Printing the Postage via eBay?

So, I've just sold my first item, and plan on shipping it tommorow, well technically today. If I buy the postage and print the shipping label via eBay without purchasing insurance through ShipCover, can I then take my package to the USPS and insure it through them, or would that require a different shipping label? Furthermore, is USPS insurance reliable, or is ShipCover better? Thanks! 🙂

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I don't think you're going to need a new label just for insurance.

USPS insurance is expensive, more expensive than ShipCover or any other third-party insurer. All insurers try to dodge paying claims to the extent that they can, not much difference there.

It's hard to tell someone else what their tolerance for risk should be, but experience has taught me that as a basic matter of probability, insurance is a losing proposition. I've shipped close to 10,000 orders just through eBay (I also sell on Amazon and Etsy) over the last 18 or so years, and my rate of lost or damaged shipments is a slender fraction of 1%. Let's say, 1 out of every 500. If I'm buying coverage at a rate of $1.50/$100 of coverage, I'm spending $750 for the privilege of filing one claim, the value of which will probably be less than $50.

You already get some insurance coverage with the basic cost of postage for Priority Mail, as well as UPS and FedEx service. Use that fact when you decide whether or not you need additional coverage.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If you're using Priority Mail, you get $50 insurance included with the postage
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@thallidguy wrote:

I don't think you're going to need a new label just for insurance.

USPS insurance is expensive, more expensive than ShipCover or any other third-party insurer. All insurers try to dodge paying claims to the extent that they can, not much difference there.

It's hard to tell someone else what their tolerance for risk should be, but experience has taught me that as a basic matter of probability, insurance is a losing proposition. I've shipped close to 10,000 orders just through eBay (I also sell on Amazon and Etsy) over the last 18 or so years, and my rate of lost or damaged shipments is a slender fraction of 1%. Let's say, 1 out of every 500. If I'm buying coverage at a rate of $1.50/$100 of coverage, I'm spending $750 for the privilege of filing one claim, the value of which will probably be less than $50.

You already get some insurance coverage with the basic cost of postage for Priority Mail, as well as UPS and FedEx service. Use that fact when you decide whether or not you need additional coverage.

That is true, thanks. I'm shipping a video game console, so I've just been a bit worried about my packaging not being enough, specifically because there's no room between the game cases and the top of the box. I'll try to mess with it tomorrow I think, hopefully I can sort something out.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

That is true, thanks. I'm shipping a video game console, so I've just been a bit worried about my packaging not being enough, specifically because there's no room between the game cases and the top of the box. I'll try to mess with it tomorrow I think, hopefully I can sort something out.

Just to give you a heads up. If the post office does not feel there was adequate packaging they will deny your claim, anyway. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@findersltd wrote:

Just to give you a heads up. If the post office does not feel there was adequate packaging they will deny your claim, anyway. 

Exactly. All insurers will look for any sign that your packaging was inadequate so that they can deny your claim. If you have any concerns about your packaging, insurance will not protect you anyway.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@roberlac-8 wrote:
 .... If I buy the postage and print the shipping label via eBay without purchasing insurance through ShipCover, can I then take my package to the USPS and insure it through them...

You can purchase USPS insurance when you purchase your shipping label through eBay.   On the label prep form here's a little drop-down menu which defaults to ShipCover, just change it.

@roberlac-8 wrote:
 ... I've just been a bit worried about my packaging not being enough, specifically because there's no room between the game cases and the top of the box. I'll try to mess with it tomorrow I think, hopefully I can sort something out.

USPS often denies claims on the basis of inadequate packaging.  Sounds like you know in advance that you're taking a risk with this packaging.  In that case, insurance would be a waste of money.  Spend that insurance money on better packaging instead, a bigger box and some padding.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@roberlac-8 wrote:
 .... If I buy the postage and print the shipping label via eBay without purchasing insurance through ShipCover, can I then take my package to the USPS and insure it through them...

You can purchase USPS insurance when you purchase your shipping label through eBay.   On the label prep form here's a little drop-down menu which defaults to ShipCover, just change it.

@roberlac-8 wrote:
 ... I've just been a bit worried about my packaging not being enough, specifically because there's no room between the game cases and the top of the box. I'll try to mess with it tomorrow I think, hopefully I can sort something out.

USPS often denies claims on the basis of inadequate packaging.  Sounds like you know in advance that you're taking a risk with this packaging.  In that case, insurance would be a waste of money.  Spend that insurance money on better packaging instead, a bigger box and some padding.

Yeah, I think I have plenty of padding, everything inside is just tight. If I can fit some padding on top, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm only worried about it in case they throw packages around, or something gets slammed on top of mine, that could damage the game cases, but everything else would be fine.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You can bet your item is going to get slammed, other packages dropped on it, probably fall off the conveyor belt, etc..  Do you have this packed with bubble wrap?  If not it's a good idea~~and use plenty of bubble wrap & probably even double box it.  If you even THINK the game cases can get damaged it's clear it isn't packed well enough.  If you don't have any padding on top because there isn't room for it, it clearly isn't in the right size box.  If the game cases get damaged the buyer isn't going to be happy and your 1st sale could be your last if you have a -1 feedback as a seller.

If you are using the original box this came in, it's not a good idea.  That box was made for it to be delivered to the store~~probably on a pallet with others in a truck.  That isn't suitable and will not withstand shipping via USPS or any other shipper.

No~~you can NOT purchase insurance at the post office.  Postage will have to be paid all over again and a new label and new tracking number will be put on the package.  I ship over the counter at the post office and anything I purchase extra insurance for has a different tracking number than other packages I mail~~the tracking number has an "8"  in it where my other regular packages have a "5". 

If you want to insure it maybe you should just void the label you printed, take it to the post office and pay the postage there and tell them how much you want to insure it for.

If it isn't packed well enough insurance won't pay you for it anyway.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for all the information. I'll try moving some things around to try and get a decent amount of bubble wrap on top. I have bubble wrap on the bottom, above the console, and air cushions so things are packed more tightly. I'll probably just completely repackage it then. Thanks again!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I see you sold this one time before on 1/2.  In that listing you stated that if there are any problems the buyer has to deal with USPS.  You do know that your "no return" policy doesn't mean a thing if the item is damaged or defective, don't you?  You will have to pay return shipping and you will have to refund the buyer in full including the original shipping.  If it is damaged it's YOU that has to deal with USPS~~not the buyer.  You will have to refund the buyer whether USPS pays off on an insurance claim or not.

Ebay also holds the $$ this sold for for up to 21 days to make sure the sale went smoothly before releasing your money to you.  If something does happen they have the $$ on hold to refund the buyer with.  So~~if you want to actually get paid for this you need to make sure it works and doesn't get damaged or you're going to have a lot of out of pocket expenses just in postage refunding the buyer and paying return shipping.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply