cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned camera missing strap - how to handle?

A buyer bought an inexpensive camera from me with a strap.  I've actually sold the same strap alone for more than I got for the whole camera, but everything tested out fine on the camera and I figured I'd just sell it off.  They buyer got it and complained that it didn't work.  I had tested everything, but of course, I accepted the return since it was SNAD per what he said.  I just received it back, and the serial number on the camera is the one I sent, but the strap is missing.  The camera mostly works, but I see that it has developed some kind of problem making the flash pop up.  Maybe that just happened, and I'll accept that.  It seems wrong, though, for the buyer to get a full refund after taking a part off.  When I heard about his desire to return it, I figured I'd at least be able to recoup some of the cost of this by selling the strap, but he stole that.  What would you recommend?  Of course I'll block him, but I know there was some information put out that we can withhold part of the refund if an item is not returned in the same condition.  Is it worth it?  Do I contact him and ask about it?  Should I report him somehow?  Thanks for advice.  I typically do not offer returns, so only end up with one once in a great while, and this is a new situation for me where someone seemingly just stole something.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Send him a message acknowledging the receipt of the camera and ask if they forgot to include the strap that was shipped with it - and that you need to get that back too to issue a full refund.

Then go from there.  It could be a mistake, but it could be deliberate.  Hand him some rope and see what happens.  (And come here and let us know what he says and you'll get some good suggestions)

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@lintbrush*wrote:

Send him a message acknowledging the receipt of the camera and ask if they forgot to include the strap that was shipped with it - and that you need to get that back too to issue a full refund.

Then go from there.  It could be a mistake, but it could be deliberate.  Hand him some rope and see what happens.  (And come here and let us know what he says and you'll get some good suggestions)

Thanks.  I just sent him a nice message asking about this.  I'll keep the board informed.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I heard back from my buyer, regarding the strap that was missing from the return:

"Sorry, I must have. I will mail it out to you first thing Monday morning."

So, at this point,  how long do I wait to issue a refund?  Do I trust him?  Does it matter?  I can't have my account damaged over this, but it seems I should wait until at least Monday afternoon, after he supposedly puts the strap in the mail.  The message from ebay says I need to refund by March 6.  That would actually be long enough to receive the strap back, if he mails it on Monday.  Thanks for advice.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You won't damage your account by waiting to refund the few days.  Just stay within the timelines given.  You have all week to see if it arrives.  

Either he sends it or he doesn't.   If he doesn't, you still will refund and report buyer for the faulty return.  If he does, all is good.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I'm the OP back here with an update.  I had sent the buyer a nice note asking if he had forgotten to include the strap.  His response:  "Sorry, I must have. I will mail it out to you first thing Monday morning."  I waited during the week for it to show up.  Mailing on Monday should have gotten it here by Thursday or Friday.  On Friday, I sent him this:  "Hi: Just checking in. Did that strap get sent out?  Thanks."  His reply was this: "Not yet. I purchased an envelope today and will get you a tracking number by tomorrow when I ship it."  Well, it's late in the day of the "tomorrow" in his message, and no further info.  Meanwhile the refund is due March 6, per Ebay.  I'm figuring I'll just refund on the 5th to make sure there's no problem, as the amount of money at stake here isn't that much and I'm not going to risk any damage to my account over it, but I'm not impressed with this guy's response.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I think you can report that there is a problem to Ebay.
I got a return and it was damaged,so when Ebay reminds me of refunding,I just tell Ebay it was damaged.
EBAY told me they have refunded me,I did not have to do anything,however I have not found the refund from pAYPAL history,it shows it was refunded back to the buyer,may be it shows up in my seller account,I will check
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Well you have the buyer actually admitting he didn't send back the original purchase finally and that he would.   (His first reply was a bit weak... "must have")

I don't know that that info will matter much to eBay, but it might be worth a call.

They may do nothing. 

They may grant you an extension to refund. 

They may close it in your favor. 

I'm leaning towards #1.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, the "must have" did seem weak to me.  It took some work to get it off, and the camera was put into a plastic baggie that was not part of my packaging when it was boxed up and sent back; otherwise using my bubble wrap and the original box.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

OP back again...no news yet as of Monday, but I just issued the refund since it is due tomorrow and it is not worth a whole lot of hassle to fight this.

Of course he is blocked, as I never want to do business with him again after this experience.  Would I still be able to report him for abuse of the MBG if he doesn't ultimately send the strap back, or did I give up the right to do that by issuing the full refund without taking some other action?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

No, you can still report the buyer for a faulty return. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I do hope that the buyer has integrity and sends it.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply