cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid shipping then changed address, to ship will cost $900

My buyer won a large heavy item (generator). I looked at where it was going and believe I even sent him an invoice(don't know how to check).   The original address was to Miami, no big deal shipping was a little over $100.  He paid for the item and the shipping but when I went to print the shipping label he had change the address to a Virgin Island address, UPS charges nearly $900 to ship to this address. I have emailed the buyer 2x's and he will not respond. Now what

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

He likely really does need the generator. In order to protect yourself, you should cancel the transaction for this reason :using problem with buyers address. He will receive  an automatic refund.  

Then tell your buyer that you will relist it for him, but he must  go into his  Paypal account and  change his  primary shipping address to the Miami address. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If he doesnt respond, you can cancel the transaction,using problem with buyers address..make sure you block him.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

IDK, I know the Virgin Islands are in need of supplies, however, if I were to ship, it would be to the address that is in PP and not what the buyer changed it too.  

If you have some time within your shipping time, I would wait to hear from the buyer first and if not, I would either ship to PP address or possibly cancel re: "problem with buyer's address."  Hopefully, someone with more experience will pop in with a solution.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The PP address is also the Virgin Island address, so if I were to ship would have pay the $900 to ship. Just can't do that, not that I mind shipping it but buyer was to pay the shipping. It was calculated shipping so I know he new the cost, the Miami address was so much cheaper and that's the shipping he paid for.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

He just sent me an address through Ebay email asking to send to his name c/o of a mailing service out of a  Miami address, is this safe to do? Don't mind sending at all just do not want to lose the payment and the item.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@darin1233 wrote:
The PP address is also the Virgin Island address, so if I were to ship would have pay the $900 to ship. Just can't do that, not that I mind shipping it but buyer was to pay the shipping. It was calculated shipping so I know he new the cost, the Miami address was so much cheaper and that's the shipping he paid for.

sending an invoice locks in the shipping rate for the ebay address.  you shouldn't send an invoice when you have calculated shipping.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@darin1233 wrote:

He just sent me an address through Ebay email asking to send to his name c/o of a mailing service out of a  Miami address, is this safe to do? Don't mind sending at all just do not want to lose the payment and the item.

no if you don't ship to the paypal address the buyer could file INR and win.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

He likely really does need the generator. In order to protect yourself, you should cancel the transaction for this reason :using problem with buyers address. He will receive  an automatic refund.  

Then tell your buyer that you will relist it for him, but he must  go into his  Paypal account and  change his  primary shipping address to the Miami address. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

no need to change the primary shipping address.

the buyer just needs to choose or enter the correct address at checkout.  So cancel as problem with buyers address and they can repurchase and just checkout with the address they want it shipped to.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

“no need to change the primary shipping address. 

the buyer just needs to choose or enter the correct address at checkout.  So cancel as problem with buyers address and they can repurchase and just checkout with the address they want it shipped to.”

The OP of this thread is the seller. The invoice has been sent and paid already. The transaction has completed.  When buyer paid the invoice, he did indeed change the shipping address from Miami to the Virgin Islands.  The buyer has a Miami address  listed on his eBay account and the OP sent him an invoice to include shipping charges based on that Miami address.  

“The original address was to Miami, no big deal shipping was a little over $100.  He paid for the item and the shipping but when I went to print the shipping label he had change the address to a Virgin Island address,”

Seller received payment via PayPal  for shipping to Miami, not to the Virgin Islands…an $800.00 difference. Buyer’s PayPal payment and primary shipping address is in the Virgin Islands.   

No, this is not a safe thing to do. Every seasoned and astute seller on eBay will echo this:  Do not ever send an item to any other address except the confirmed /verified address listed on the Paypal payment account.  Before you print a shipping label through eBay, always cross-check the eBay shipping address against the PayPal payment address. You ship to the PayPal address only.

“no need to change the primary shipping address”

The buyer does not have change anything at this point, except wait for a refund. The  OP (seller) is not going to send it to the Virgin Islands for $100.00.  Seller needs to cancel this transaction, as he will have no Paypal Seller protection if he sends it to Miami. 

Since the buyer requested item be sent to a Miami shipping company  via his email message, it is safe to assume that they would prefer not to pay $900.00 in direct shipping costs.  If this buyer really wants it, then he must change his PayPal shipping address prior to repurchase.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/brc/seller-protection-paypal-seller-benefit

“ For the seller to retain PayPal Seller Protection , the shipping address must match the shipping address on the buyer's PayPal account.

Seller Protection: PayPal protection for sellers.

With PayPal’s Seller Protection program, we want to make it easy for you to be protected. There’s no charge for this service, and there’s no limit to the number of eligible payments PayPal will protect, as long as the transactions meet the requirements.

To receive coverage, you need to follow some simple rules. Make sure you follow the requirements described below before you ship an item.

What are the requirements for Seller Protection?

1. Ship to the address on the Transaction Details page.The item sold must be a physical, tangible item that can be shipped. This means intangible items such as digital goods and services are not covered.
  2. You must respond to PayPal's request for documentation and other relevant information in a timely fashion, typically within ten business days.
  3. Your permanent address (as listed in your PayPal account) must be in the United States.”

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

yes I know the buyer already paid which is why I stated to cancel as a problem with the buyers address and for the buyer to repurchase...just as you suggested.   The only difference is the buyer does not have to change their primary shipping address in paypal or before repurchasing.  they simply need to enter or select the correct address when they go through checkout.  I've done this many times.  If it's an address not in paypal already I can enter the address at one at checkout to be shipped to that address.  If it's an address I have listed in paypal but not my primary one I just select to ship to that address instead during checkout. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Maybe I should explain better.  When a buyer goes through checkout they can choose any address associated with their paypal account.  Or it gives the option for a new address to be entered.  This can be done during checkout. 

When the seller sent the invoice it locked in the shipping cost to the miami address associated with the ebay account.   As you said the seller (the OP) needs to cancel as problem with buyers address.  The buyer would need to repurchase and simply choose or enter the correct address in the checkout process. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I understand that and it is a great option when buyers have more than  one preferred shipping address.  But  in this case , the buyer only has the Virgin Island  address listed on his Paypal, not the Miami address.  He needs to add that Miami address to the Paypal account, so that he can make the correct choice when he gets the new invoice.  At this point, the seller really has no choice but to cancel and relist for this buyer, once  buyer adds the Miami address in PayPal.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

I understand that and it is a great option when buyers have more than  one preferred shipping address.  But  in this case , the buyer only has the Virgin Island  address listed on his Paypal, not the Miami address.  He needs to add that Miami address to the Paypal account, so that he can make the correct choice when he gets the new invoice.  At this point, the seller really has no choice but to cancel and relist for this buyer, once  buyer adds the Miami address in PayPal.

a new address can be entered during checkout.  it doesn't already have to be in paypal  And I agree seller would need to cancel and relist. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

and the OP needs to not sending invoices for listings with calculated shipping.  It messes things up if the buyer pays with a different address than then the ebay one.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply