cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer hasn't picked up from post office

As the title says, buyer wasn't available to accept the item as it was signature confirmed for a graphics card that was sold. Item shipped from ny to CA. It now rests at post office waiting to be picked up. I sent a message or two and am sending a final message being completely polite as far as to the post office location where it is currently to help avoid confusion and provided address and phone number. I wont contact the borrower again? The item is a no return item and i covered the cost of shipping at 19 and some change. 

If the buyer never picks it up, do I have the post office deliver it and just leave it at the door if they would even do that? I am confused how to go about this. It is a used rx 480 graphics card and I only have $50 in shipping insurance on the item as thats all she would let me choose at the place. I hope that shipping didn't break the item either. I need help I am confused and concerned. Will I be screwed over? 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I would NOT send anything else and you should be thanking your lucky stars that the buyer isn't picking up the item.....Do you know what to do if the buyer picks it up and files a not described case against you?

The PO will send the package back to you after 15 days and no pickup.  You refund the item cost minus shipping.  Just wait and get the $400+ item back and be grateful that nothing else happened so far.

You should never list anything on ebay that is worth more than your recent selling feedback - scammers target sellers like you because they have no idea how ebay operates and make huge mistakes.

By the way - there is no such thing as no returns on ebay, unless of course you want to just refund the buyer without getting the item back.  No returns does not mean the transaction is over or that there are no refunds.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Not described case? No I do not? The individual has 6 ratings all purchases a year ago? The funds are on hold in paypal at least. I have pictures of the item and one of the pictures has a serial id sticker on it but now that I think about, someone could put my sticker on a broken graphics card and return it? though I truly hope I don't get scammed. I put pictures up. I made a phone video just showing my monitor and that the rx 480 card was working showing the gpuz, cpu hwid monitoring, and that it was running csgo fine and even showed that amd settings verified the card in the driver. I also made a video after I shipped the video in my car just showing the receipt and so forth from the usps. Though now that I think about It, I should of made a video putting the card in the box at the store, taping it up, and handing it to the clerk. I regret not doing that.

It seems like you are saying I am very likely to get scammed here. Is that true?

I did a signature needed for delivery? Though the paypal I think has a different name mixed with their ebay name? So perhaps they are scamming? I truly hope not.
So what you're saying is that I am gonna be scammed??? I really hope not!!! Shipping cost me 19 and some change!! I am starting to get a bit scared here...I started googling and people are saying all types of scams. Im getting really nervous...i dont want to lose out on a ton of money and my only graphics card I was using!!! What if i get the card back and its broken to bioot and I have to refund? OMG this is what people are saying...im having a panic attack.
Please tell me what to do???

edit: the individuals paypal name differs from the ship to name??? 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

If the buyer doesn't pick up the item, it will be returned to you.

If you shipped via USPS Parcel Select or Retail Ground, , then there is no free return and you will have to re-pay the postage in order to pick it up.

I'm wondering why you didn't ship via Priority Mail, and why shipping that thing cost you $19, also where did you ship from that wouldn't allow more insurance?

Finally: there was no need to require a signature on that item. If you had just used regular tracking, then this situation would not have come up.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I did USPS where I live.  The receipt says PM 2 day domestic 1lb 14 ounces? only 50 dollar insurance. She said I don't qualify for higher insurance unless I upgrade my delivery to a 30 or 40 dollar shipping cost. She said I get free tracking If i do that and I said no way lol. So she suggested I add signature confirmation for 2.90 as it offers tracking. Total was $19.14 to ship from Ny to CA.

So If he doesn't pick it up..I have to pay to ship it back????? I swear if the item comes back broken I will legit cry lol I am a poor college student haha. I was initially selling it to upgrade my graphics card but I need to help pay rent at the end of the month lolol. So I'm really nervous. But she definitely said i dont get normal tracking for some reason. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Let me put it to you this way - if the buyer picks up the package, the odds are good that they will get it for free.  Because you have no idea what to di if the buyer claims it's broke.

If I were you, I would pay $10 + something to recall the package and get it back into your hands.

First off, your video is useless, ebay will not look at it and it is proof that you once had something that you wrapped up, but it isn't proof that it is what you sent to the buyer.

Second off, there is a common scam that is referred to as box of rocks...buyer buys, files a not described dispute and then sends you back a box of rocks if you are smart enough to say return for refund.

Third - the ONLY seller protection on ebay is the delivery confirmation/signature confirmation will protect you if the buyer claims the package was not delivered, there is nothing that will protect the seller after the item is delivered into the buyers hands.

Fourth - the PO clerk saw you coming.  You could have used ebay shipping label with $100 insurance, but I ship at the counter and you could have easily added insurance and the SC for less, you did not have to upgrade.  But i might have just used a Priority Mailing box and added to that.

ebay is not what it appears to be.  The policies here are very buyer-centric and it isn't a good idea to start selling high dollar items thinking that it's going to be easy money without knowing policies.  Or knowing how to ship the item after it is sold.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@trivenge wrote:

I did USPS where I live.  The receipt says PM 2 day domestic 1lb 14 ounces? only 50 dollar insurance. She said I don't qualify for higher insurance unless I upgrade my delivery to a 30 or 40 dollar shipping cost. She said I get free tracking If i do that and I said no way lol. So she suggested I add signature confirmation for 2.90 as it offers tracking. Total was $19.14 to ship from Ny to CA....

Pretty much everything you were told is wrong.

Your Priority Mail ("PM") package automatically included $50 of coverage, and if you had upgraded to Express it woudl have covered $100.  BUT you can purchase additional insurance for any  USPS package; at the PO counter, you can purchase coverage up to several thousand dollars.

Every USPS package automatically includes tracking at no additional cost.

Retail Priority Mail for a 2-pound package shoujld have cost you $12.75.  

The only thing that seems correct in all of this is that the retail price for Signature Confirmation is 2.90.

Somebody needs to have a talk with that clerk's supervisor.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:
 ...  You could have used ebay shipping label with $100 insurance ....

eBay's online Priority Mail postage includes $100 of insurance only for Top-Rated Sellers.  Everybody else gets $50 of coverage on Priority Mail, same as for retail.  eBay sellers who purchase shipping labels online can add insurance up to (IIRC) $500 when purchasing their shipping labels. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Should I just try and get the item returned as soon as possible then??????

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@trivenge wrote:

Should I just try and get the item returned as soon as possible then??????

If the package has been sitting unclaimed for more than 7 business days, you might save yourself the money and wait until the PO just auto sends it back.

What does the buyers feedback and feedback left for others look like?  If there are negs or the words works with or refund anywhere, then pay to have is shipped back to you.

The question is - can you afford to lose the item and the money?  If not, get it back.

After the PO shows in the tracking that they tried to deliver then you can not get hit with a Item Not Received dispute.  This was posted by an ebay employee, but if you recall, that might be a different story.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:
 ...  You could have used ebay shipping label with $100 insurance ....

eBay's online Priority Mail postage includes $100 of insurance only for Top-Rated Sellers.  Everybody else gets $50 of coverage on Priority Mail, same as for retail.  eBay sellers who purchase shipping labels online can add insurance up to (IIRC) $500 when purchasing their shipping labels. 

My bad, I hear the print ebay shipping so much whenever I say I ship at the PO that I just parroted the last thing I remembered.

My PO's counter clerks might upgrade to Priority, but since all they have is the FR boxes, it could have been a lot worse.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

OP might have been better-off with a Medium FRB!  Still trying to figure out how they charged him $19.14 when SigConf is $2.90 and Priority for 2 pounds to Zone 8 is $12.75 (and the MFRB would be $13.60).  What's the extra $3.49 for?

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I contacted ebay and the resolution center said that I am protected and should be fine. I brought up issues of potentially being scammed and they said that I have some protection from the potential scams depending basically, on how I am scammed. So essentially, I need to ensure that the item is picked up or delivered to not only receive the funds but to help protect me the most. 

I am gonna call the usps and ask them again if they can redeliver the item as it has a signature confirmation. The resolution center said I have the serial number from the card, the receipt indicating the weight, and that I have no returns to help protect me. I am hoping that I won't be scammed. The only issue is if he disputes through paypal. The man said if that happens, then have paypal three way call ebay to further provide additional information and to help protect me. 

What are your thoughts?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@trivenge wrote:
 ... I am gonna call the usps and ask them again if they can redeliver the item as it has a signature confirmation. The resolution center said I have the serial number from the card, the receipt indicating the weight, and that I have no returns to help protect me. ...

A package with Signature Confirmation must have a signature from the addressee (recipient). There's nothing that the seller can do to get around that; you cannot just tell the buyer's Post Office, "Nevermind, just deliver it without the signature."

Your "No returns" policy provides you with no protection whatsoever.  I don't want to pile onto retrose's alarmist posts, but if a buyer files a claim for an item being "Significantly not as described" you really have no option except to accept the return.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

So when the resolution center told me that if someone makes that claim that they can ask them to furnish proof, no matter what, I will have to accept the return because they can lie about the item and basically I will be scammed no matter what?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply