cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer didn't have a mail box, item returned.

I had a buyer who didn't have a mailbox.  The item was returned to me.  It was with free shipping.  I emailed her and told her that the package had come back and it had a sticker that said "RETURN TO SENDER NO MAIL RECEPTICAL UNABLE TO FORWARD RETURN TO SENDER"  I sent her a photo too.  So then she emails me back and says "

"I don't understand why this is happening. My physical address was requested when I purchased item. No message was left on door that they tried to deliver. Maybe you could try my post office box since it should not be large."

So I email her back and tell her that I would need additional shipping payment for me to send to her PO Box. 

She wanted to send me a check, I told her to just send it via PayPal it would be faster and I could ship it out right away.   BTW she is kinda new to eBay.

So I sent her a couple more emails telling her to use paypal and no response for 3 days.  Then yesterday I get a Request from the buyer to refund the money.  No problem I refunded the full amount.  This is the message with the request.

I am sorry for all the trouble. I have never had this problem before. This is a about the fourth order that I placed around the same time that I never received and was returned to sender. I have had many items sent to my physical address in the past that always arrived. This has just become to aggravating. Please refund the item.

Now DUH!  I checked the address on Google and looked at the photo.  Now I know that google maps, doesn't always have an realtime photo, but there was no mailbox.  There was a brick stand with a newspaper tube, but that was it.  

My speculation is that it was not her regular carrier.  Subs don't go the "extra mile."

The USPS will not deliver if there is no mailbox.  And most NEW carriers will not even try to go to the door or leave a note.  They don't have to if there is no mailbox, USPS rules.

So my question is:  And I cant' find it on eBay's help files or the listing form, Is there somewhere in buying on ebay that says you must use a PHYSICAL ADDRESS?   Because sending to her PO box in the first place would have been fine.  The PO will put a note in the po box if it doesn't fit, and can pick it up at the counter.   

Change the channel!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It doesn't, Just cancel due to buyer's request. Block this buyer and move on.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

"Dear buyer,

Perhaps it's time to get a proper mailbox so you can receive your mail.

Thank you,

Seller"

Then head to your BBL ASAP

No mailbox but wonders why she has mail returned.  smh

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Oh yes.  On my BBL.  But where does it say when buying on eBay to make the buyer ship to a physical address? 

Change the channel!
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Is there somewhere in buying on ebay that says you must use a PHYSICAL ADDRESS? 

Probably not.  Unless a service like UPS or FedEx is specified in the listing since they need the street address.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@drusalina wrote:

Oh yes.  On my BBL.  But where does it say when buying on eBay to make the buyer ship to a physical address? 

It doesn't and never did on the ebay side. On the Paypal side, this requirement was basically an intrinsic casualty of when the confirmed address was no longer required. In order to have a confirmed address you pretty much had to have a physical address, unlike the situation you are faced with.

It has been over a decade since this was a requirement.

Also I think you mean "seller" not "buyer"

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

hi, you're not seeing the whole picture. NO, there is no eBay requirement for a physical address.

I am in the U.S.A., my town is 1200 people.
In small towns and rural areas there may not be any street delivery.
Hence; no street address needed for U.S.P.S., we get to have P.O. boxes.
There is no carrier to bring it to a house or appartment, we have to go physically to our post office.  Even Fed-Ex and UPS delivers to our post office and the postmaster holds it for us.
If your town is even smaller you may have to go to the next town to access your post office box.

@drusalina wrote:

I had a buyer who didn't have a mailbox.  The item was returned to me.  It was with free shipping.  I emailed her and told her that the package had come back and it had a sticker that said "RETURN TO SENDER NO MAIL RECEPTICAL UNABLE TO FORWARD RETURN TO SENDER"  I sent her a photo too.  So then she emails me back and says "

"I don't understand why this is happening. My physical address was requested when I purchased item. No message was left on door that they tried to deliver. Maybe you could try my post office box since it should not be large."

So I email her back and tell her that I would need additional shipping payment for me to send to her PO Box. 

She wanted to send me a check, I told her to just send it via PayPal it would be faster and I could ship it out right away.   BTW she is kinda new to eBay.

So I sent her a couple more emails telling her to use paypal and no response for 3 days.  Then yesterday I get a Request from the buyer to refund the money.  No problem I refunded the full amount.  This is the message with the request.

I am sorry for all the trouble. I have never had this problem before. This is a about the fourth order that I placed around the same time that I never received and was returned to sender. I have had many items sent to my physical address in the past that always arrived. This has just become to aggravating. Please refund the item.

Now DUH!  I checked the address on Google and looked at the photo.  Now I know that google maps, doesn't always have an realtime photo, but there was no mailbox.  There was a brick stand with a newspaper tube, but that was it.  

My speculation is that it was not her regular carrier.  Subs don't go the "extra mile."

The USPS will not deliver if there is no mailbox.  And most NEW carriers will not even try to go to the door or leave a note.  They don't have to if there is no mailbox, USPS rules.

So my question is:  And I cant' find it on eBay's help files or the listing form, Is there somewhere in buying on ebay that says you must use a PHYSICAL ADDRESS?   Because sending to her PO box in the first place would have been fine.  The PO will put a note in the po box if it doesn't fit, and can pick it up at the counter.   

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@drusalina wrote:

This is a about the fourth order that I placed around the same time that I never received and was returned to sender. I have had many items sent to my physical address in the past that always arrived.

Answer

That was then and this is now ! Should your seller send you a free mailbox?

What more can your seller do for you,

perhaps also arrange to have a free mail box installed for your convenience ?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

My hometown is strictly mailboxes at the local PO. You want your mail you get in your car (Or walk) to the PO and retrieve it.

Been that way forever.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

You could always tell the buyer to buy a plane ticket and come to your place and pick it up personally as the USPS does not deliver to her....Why pay shipping costs to the post office if they are not doing their work...huh huh huh

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You are correct. I am a mail carrier. If there is no mailbox then USPS does NOT make an attempt or deliver to that physical address.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

You are correct. I am a mail carrier. If there is no mailbox then USPS does NOT make an attempt or deliver to that physical address.

You should be if it's Express Mail.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply