cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item damaged over 90 days after transaction

I am fairly new to selling on eBay, and so far I've had a very positive experience. Unfortunately, this morning I received a message I believe is related to a scam from a buyer. More than 90 days ago (I am uncertain of specific date as I can no longer view the listing because it is past that time frame) I sold an action figure to someone in Hungary (I did not intend to offer international shipping, and after this sale I changed my settings to ensure I no longer sold outside of the U.S.). Despite shipping the item more than three months ago, I just this morning received a message claiming it had arrived broken.

It seems ridiculous to me that the buyer would just now attempt to claim it had arrived broken. Is there a limit on how long someone can complain regarding the item's condition upon arrival? The item was in near perfect condition when shipped, and while I certainly believe it is possible it could have been damaged en route, it seems unrealistic that they would just now be receiving the item and noticing it is broken. I am uncertain how to proceed.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The buyer cannot open a damage claim through eBay after 30 days have passed.  You can tell the buyer you are no longer responsible for damage.  He cannot leave you feedback either, after 60 days. 

That said, a buyer can open a claim through Paypal for 180 days.  They would be required to return the item at their own expense.  When you receive it, you would have to refund all of the original payment including shipping cost. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

BBL and ignore forever.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Buyer is in Hungary.

Just ask the buyer to return the item and refund in full,if it is insured,then file claim with insurer.

if shipped USPS priority or better,there is $200 coverage.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

What is BBL?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thank you. How do you protect yourself from someone break an item and claiming it came that way? Seems like I'm kind of stuck losing $75 from what you're saying.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Hmm. I may not have kept the receipt because it had been so long I thought the transaction had been fine. Would I be stuck eating the cost?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@wanderlust716 wrote:

Hmm. I may not have kept the receipt because it had been so long I thought the transaction had been fine. Would I be stuck eating the cost?

@wanderlust716 Ignore that bad advice. Do not refund in full. Ignore the buyer and put him on your blocked bidder list. If it’s been 3 months, you can’t file an insurance claim because the deadline is 60 days. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Blocked Bidder List.

Should keep them from messaging you too.

Don't even respond, just BBL and forget them.

You can also report them for "unreasonable demands" if you care to do so.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The buyers blocked list only keeps someone from contacting you if you have that option checked off in  your buyers requirements and you are not in current transaction with that buyer.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

90 days out they would definately not be in a transaction with anyone.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You who are answering are forgetting about Paypal. 

There is no reason to ignore this buyer. 

OP, yes, any buyer can make any claim of damage or "not as described" no matter what you do.  You cannot ever protect yourself from such a claim.

In this situation, postal insurance is not available, it ends after 60 days. 

Odds are, the buyer will not go through Paypal because he will not want to pay the return shipping.  It is possible that he will, but unlikely. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

There is every reason to ignore this buyer.

Sheeesh. If all the buyers knew that a seller would cowtow to them after 90 days when they can't leave feedback or open ebay cases is two Pandora's box worth of misery.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply