cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Finally Returns Item AFTER return case was closed

Over two months ago I sold an item that the buyer requested to return. I approved the return and sent the shipping label. The buyer never returned the item and the case was eventually closed in my favor. Fast forward to now (over two weeks after the case was closed) and the item shows up out of the blue.  I am uncertain as to how to proceed as the case was already closed and I can't find where/how I would issue a refund at this point.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is good advice.  The eBay dispute has already been opened and closed in the OP's (seller's) favor.  For all intents and purposes, eBay is now out of the picture.  Seller now has both the item and the buyer's cash. 

The OP needs to go to the PayPal transaction and hit the REFUND button or the "Send Money" tab with a notation of the refund.  By doing so, the OP  will then have a clear, indisputable PayPal record of the refund/money sent back to this buyer.  Hence, the original transaction will  now show a refund on PayPal.  This will nullify any possible future attempt by the buyer to initiate either a chargeback or refund request through PayPal..as the record will reflect that a refund was sent. 

If the OP decides to "do nothing at all"  and not refund the buyer,  then OP can most certainly be liable if the buyer files a chargeback or refund request through the PayPal resolution center.  

The bottom line is this:  The OP needs to refund this buyer through PayPal to avoid any  further possible action by the buyer.  Failure to refund, will  allow the buyer to open a Paypal case.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Don't do anything.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@camander3

You can refuse the package or refund minus shipping and fees.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

In all honesty, you should  issue a refund.  Here is how to issue a refund:  Go into your Paypal account, look up the transaction and click "issue refund".    Or, on  that page  you will also see the buyer's paypal  address, you can simply  use the  PayPal "send money" link to  complete the refund to your buyer. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Absolutely do not refund.

Do not do anything but block your buyer.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

The OP has a level of integrity and doesn't want to get something for nothing and wants to  do the right thing.  No need to block the buyer, the OP wasn't  harmed.

As already stated the OP can refund thru PayPal.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

In all honesty, you should  issue a refund.  Here is how to issue a refund:  Go into your Paypal account, look up the transaction and click "issue refund".    Or, on  that page  you will also see the buyer's paypal  address, you can simply  use the  PayPal "send money" link to  complete the refund to your buyer. 

This is never good advice.  In the event of further dispute (like a chargeback dispute), the seller is still on the hook as the original transaction shows no refund.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

It is good advice.  The eBay dispute has already been opened and closed in the OP's (seller's) favor.  For all intents and purposes, eBay is now out of the picture.  Seller now has both the item and the buyer's cash. 

The OP needs to go to the PayPal transaction and hit the REFUND button or the "Send Money" tab with a notation of the refund.  By doing so, the OP  will then have a clear, indisputable PayPal record of the refund/money sent back to this buyer.  Hence, the original transaction will  now show a refund on PayPal.  This will nullify any possible future attempt by the buyer to initiate either a chargeback or refund request through PayPal..as the record will reflect that a refund was sent. 

If the OP decides to "do nothing at all"  and not refund the buyer,  then OP can most certainly be liable if the buyer files a chargeback or refund request through the PayPal resolution center.  

The bottom line is this:  The OP needs to refund this buyer through PayPal to avoid any  further possible action by the buyer.  Failure to refund, will  allow the buyer to open a Paypal case.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

NO sending money through the send money tab is ABSOLUTELY NOT good advice.  It will not be attached to the original transaction.  If this were done this way The buyer could still file with PayPal or file a chargeback and get a full refund on top of whatever a seller went with the send money.   They can refund through the original transaction in PayPal but they absolutely should not use the send money feature 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I wrote  " "Send Money" tab with a notation of the refund."    If the notation clearly indicates  the transaction  information etc,  this will also serve as a record of the refund.  The buyer will not be successful in any attempt to file a PayPal case or a chargeback.    PayPal will be able to see either the Refund transaction or the Money Sent transaction details with the notes.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

"Send Money" tab with a notation of the refund."

That means nothing when the buyer does a chargeback.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

I wrote  " "Send Money" tab with a notation of the refund."    If the notation clearly indicates  the transaction  information etc,  this will also serve as a record of the refund.  The buyer will not be successful in any attempt to file a PayPal case or a chargeback.    PayPal will be able to see either the Refund transaction or the Money Sent transaction details with the notes.

Paypal and especially not a cc company will care about a notation that it is a refund for another transaction.  The buyer can claim it was unrelated and PayPal would believe them.  There is no reason to do it that way when paypal allows a refund from the original transaction. It just creates an unnecessary risk. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

1. Preferred method: Go to original Paypal transaction and click the “Refund” tab. Big advantage is that you will be reimbursed a portion of the PayPal fee.

If ,for some reason, the “Refund” tab is not available, the next method will work:

2. Go to Paypal account , click Send Money Tab : For Goods and Services to     Buyer’s Paypal address .

Add Message

“ Refund for eBay item #xxxxxxxxxx,original PayPal transaction  # yyyyyyyyyy, dated    zz/00/2017.

This message gets recorded on the transaction summary page.  It does not go away. PayPal can see it.

Either way, there will be viewable record within PayPal indicating that the buyer received a refund for the item.  Any attempts by the buyer to initiate a chargeback or a refund case in PayPal will be futile.   In a chargeback scenario, PayPal deals directly with the credit card issuer and can provide them with transactional proof  of a refund payment regardless of how it was acomplished.  

Message 15 of 27
latest reply