cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As U.S. Postage Rates Continue To Rise, The USPS Gives The Chinese A 'Free Ride' - Forbes article

Ever wonder how Chinese sellers can ship stuff for no or low cost? I was shocked to find out how. Wade Shepard, Forbes Contributor posted this article today explaining (I'm paraphrasing) how U.S. taxpayers continually pay higher and higher postage fees to make up for the losses incurred by U.S. subsized shipping from China. Maybe, many of you already know about this, and I'm just late to the table. But if you don't know, read the article, it's a bit shocking.

Forbes.com

"As U.S. Postage Rates Continue To RIse, The USPS Gives The Chinese A 'Free Ride'" by Wade Shepard.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/11/05/how-the-usps-epacket-gives-postal-subsidies-to-c...

In a world where you can be anything, be kind.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As U.S. Postage Rates Continue To Rise, The USPS Gives The Chinese A 'Free Ride' - Forbes article

China's postage is substidized by their government. Though each package has very little postage they arrive as one large package. Very simalar to domestic bulk mailings. 

Does the US government have its fingers in this pie. Of course. Remember this: https://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/12/10/china-the-power-behind-the-700-billion-bailout/

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

i always wondered why i could buy an item for 1$ and get it shipped from china!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
We been complaining to ebay for the last couple years when international rates jumped 300%, it killed my international business. I use to sell 40-60 orders a month and now maybe one or 2, rates went from $4 up to $12 1st class international and that was it. I've written congressman, senator's and even the president, NOTHING, sad thing is ebay knows and wont do anything about it "we don't control rates" uh your a huge company with lobbyist, get on it. Me a person is nobody but ebay and amazon as company's can. I'm probably losing $8-10 grand a year in sales and I'm one seller, image that times 10K sellers
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

For many years the increase asked for for international mail was denied. It played catch up and that is why there was such a jump in international postage.

Remember, USPS ASKS for what they think they will need in the coming year, but Congress actually sets the rate.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

US will be DOOMED in next 10-15 years if such local USPS price continues to rise. Export will be ZERO, Import will be 100%. There will be no US-based sellers. USPS losing millions not because of Domestic shipping, but because of a Disastrous treaty with China Post. USPS is looting their own citizens.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for posting this heart 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply