cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay search keeps auto correcting to incorrect word spellings or changing words.

getting very frustrated with the eBay search the last couple days. For no reason it keeps changing all my searches - even saved ones - to different spellings.

A couple examples (maybe it's just spellings with an "o")

Ja Morant gets changed to Ja Marant 

Holo Heros gets changed to Halo Heroes 

Fractor changed to raptor

Logo to Lego 

Please correct this

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

eBay search keeps auto correcting to incorrect word spellings or changing words.

I have seen an uptick in the number of complaints about the auto-correction of search keywords, so it is certainly possible that eBay has changed something recently that has resulted in more unwanted "corrections".

You can bypass the auto-correction by putting one of your search keywords in quotes, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=%22holo%22+heroes&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_...

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I agree with your frustrations. It's bad enough when you have terms like that and have to bypass your browser or phone's auto correct, then eBay goes forward with changing it anyway.

Something has definitely changed as I'm seeing more auto-corrections with search and, as @eburtonlab said, an uptick in complaints from others.

Can we get this FB passed to the powers that be kyle@ebay?

A few more examples:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/As-of-Oct-10th-saved-search-results-are-br...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Search-Changes/m-p/33286338#M2095316

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Reports on this issue are blowing up, even across social media, so I'm adding devon@ebay and elizabeth@ebay with hopes someone on the team can check it out. 😁

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

We are having the same problem. I just created a thread asking about this too. Its not just with O's my example is Shaedon Sharpe it changes to Shandon Sharpe. Im trying to price/list some soccer cards today but i cant do it because every players name has crazy spellings so its auto correcting every one of them. Very frustrated. Please let us know if anyone comes up with a resolution and i will do the same.

Thanks,

Chris Ottaway

Owner of ottaways_online

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Reports on this issue are blowing up, even across social media, so I'm adding devon@ebay and elizabeth@ebay with hopes someone on the team can check it out. 😁

Hey @wastingtime101! We will be sure to get this over to the correct team and if they are needing any more examples or information on this we will be sure to reach back out. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Today I started a listing on my phone and Ebay was auto correcting the word Vietri (italian ceramics) to a Key word.  Frustrated after a few attempts I gave up.    

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I'm getting auto "corrections" for search words, too.

Because of this I keep winding up with results to searches which are completely unrelated to what I was actually searching for.

This is extremely annoying and I hope eBay will soon fix this very obvious glitch.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Another current problem with the search function is that eBay is also switching the chosen category for the search. Oftentimes what happens is that if I decide to search for something within a broad, general category, eBay will automatically retrieve results only from a more specific sub-category, which is not always ideal because some sellers do not list their items within more specific sub-categories. The consequence is that the search, as auto-changed by eBay, will yield fewer results.

The upshot here is that when I search within a category, broad or narrow, I would much prefer to see results from the category which I have chosen instead of eBay automatically changing the category for my search.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Oftentimes what happens is that if I decide to search for something within a broad, general category, eBay will automatically retrieve results only from a more specific sub-category, which is not always ideal because some sellers do not list their items within more specific sub-categories.

You can also bypass the automatic category navigation by putting one of your search keywords in quotes or by using an exclusion term in your search; using those sorts of search commands will prevent the search expansion features of keyword-to-keyword substitution or keyword-to-category changes.

Or, if you prefer, after searching you can manually choose the category or even "All categories" using the drop-down menu to the right of the search field, then bookmark or save that search so you can perform the search directly without having to make the change each time.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

Oftentimes what happens is that if I decide to search for something within a broad, general category, eBay will automatically retrieve results only from a more specific sub-category, which is not always ideal because some sellers do not list their items within more specific sub-categories.

You can also bypass the automatic category navigation by putting one of your search keywords in quotes or by using an exclusion term in your search; using those sorts of search commands will prevent the search expansion features of keyword-to-keyword substitution or keyword-to-category changes.

Or, if you prefer, after searching you can manually choose the category or even "All categories" using the drop-down menu to the right of the search field, then bookmark or save that search so you can perform the search directly without having to make the change each time.

I've already tried putting terms within quotes but it usually makes no difference.

I've oftentimes wondered if it was possible to add exclusions as you've mentioned, as I don't know how to do this, at least not on this site.

Your advice is good, but I never had to try any of this when searching prior to maybe a few weeks ago, or so. Whatever changes the coder or webmaster has made to eBay's search function have not been beneficial. Whether they're technical glitches or deliberate changes, I would like to see eBay roll them back so that the search function works as well and easily as it used to.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I've already tried putting terms within quotes but it usually makes no difference.

Putting one of your search terms in quotes should prevent category changes -- and has done so in the past -- but it appears that eBay has recently changed something so that does not always work anymore.

I've oftentimes wondered if it was possible to add exclusions as you've mentioned, as I don't know how to do this, at least not on this site.

You can exclude items from your search results that contain a keyword by putting a minus sign in front of that keyword, like this:

bookcase -octopus

That will find items containing bookcase in the title or item-specifics as long as those listings do not include the keyword octopus. Using an exclusion does prevent automatic category changes and keyword substitution, and such a search should wind up in "All categories" even if a search for bookcase alone winds up in a specific category.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bookcase+-octopus&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=bookc...

Your advice is good, but I never had to try any of this when searching prior to maybe a few weeks ago, or so. Whatever changes the coder or webmaster has made to eBay's search function have not been beneficial. Whether they're technical glitches or deliberate changes, I would like to see eBay roll them back so that the search function works as well and easily as it used to.

It appears that eBay has made some changes regarding how searches work recently. Whether those changes are intentional or the unintended side effect of some other update remains to be seen. If they are the result of an error, eBay may fix the error at some point, if enough users notice and complain to eBay. Such corrections, if they happen at all, may not happen as quickly as many users would like, though.

In the mean time, while you are waiting for eBay to fix things, there are search techniques you can employ right now to still get the most out of your searches, regardless of what eBay does.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

That will find items containing bookcase in the title or item-specifics as long as those listings do not include the keyword octopus

I refuse to buy a bookcase unless it includes a pet octopus. 🐙

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

As a seller, I have been going nuts dealing with this. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Yes!!  Everyone is "going nuts with this"!!  

The buyers are also going nuts with this! 

...  and they are going elsewhere to look for the things they wish to purchase.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply