cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somebody Want To Explain This For Me?

Not sure what to make of this...I was in Seller Hub, clicked on the "View Requests and Disputes" link on the sidebar, and then loaded into this page:

As shown in upper lefthand corner, my account is supposedly signed in, but this is clearly not my account being displayed.
How is this happening?
Why is this even able to be a thing?
Is an investigation or broader oversight needed to ensure eBay can keep account information safe?

Never on my time on the internet have I been logged into an online account, and then just randomly been able to access another user's data/account. Not sure I want to continue a presence on the site if things are that unsecured.

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night.
Set the man on fire...
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I like it when I log in and everything is in German

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

@gottasellemall69 

Wow, that's wild for sure. You may want to tag a blue to have them look into this as you should not have anyone's account info on your home site.

tyler@ebay 

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

I would be extremely happy that wasn't my account, look at the dollar amounts on those disputes and how many of them there are.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes  - Tyler is unfortunately no longer with eBay.

velvet@ebay jasmen@ebay  should be able to help though.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

Oh that's right, thank you for jumping in there!

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@gottasellemall69 

Wow, that's wild for sure. You may want to tag a blue to have them look into this as you should not have anyone's account info on your home site.

tyler@ebay 

Can Tyler still be tagged for community issues? I thought he went to the greener side of the road.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

Never mind, saw @valueaddedresource  after I posted and for some reason, I can't edit my posts 🙄

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I just tried resetting my password to be safe - entered current password that I use to log in with, and entered new password to change it to - hit submit, came back with a "Something went wrong, please try again" error.

Then tried again, entered current password, and the new one I wanted - got a "Your current password does not match what we have on record" error.

So flow-wise, at this point I've gotten an error saying something went wrong and my password can't be updated. On the second try suddenly my old password is no longer valid.
So, I try logging out and back in, and try the password I just made/updated to (despite the fact it allegedly didn't change due to running into an 'unknown' error): THE PASSWORD I JUST CREATED IS NOW MY PASSWORD, even after multiple error messages stating nothing happened because of an error.

I'm sorry, but what in the everliving fk is happening with user accounts right now?

Set the man on fire...
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@gottasellemall69  the blues we tagged may not respond for a bit so since this is a time sensitive/critical situation I'd also recommend contacting eBay's social support on Twitter or Facebook.

https://twitter.com/AskeBay

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness 

or use the contact option at the bottom of this page - even if it's not exactly a hacked account situation, this will likely get you to someone who can help because clearly there is something going on with account security here.

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196 

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@gottasellemall69 wrote:

Never on my time on the internet have I been logged into an online account, and then just randomly been able to access another user's data/account. Not sure I want to continue a presence on the site if things are that unsecured.

Indeed, but this really needs to be reported over on the Technical Issues board; this is not actually a Selling issue:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/bd-p/technicalissues-db 

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Start by cleaning out your browser of cookies and all save data.

Then run a virus/ Malware scan.

relog into ebay and then change your password.

This type of error is usually due to the cookies stored...

Hope they get this security glitch fixed.

Big problem with that glitch is you may now be associated with that user... Not a good thing for sure.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Alright thank you for the links, I'll see what (if anything (lol)) happens/they say.

Set the man on fire...
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I would almost be tempted to message the seller of that account.  However with 23,769 unread messages I doubt it would do any good.

Personally if someone does not answer my message I look for the item elsewhere.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply