cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal suddenly used for shipping costs.

In the last day or so, I noticed eBay started charging my connected PayPal account for shipping labels.

I had a Visa Debit card set as my preferred "selling costs". But it's strange that the labels aren't simply paid from my available funds sitting on eBay's books.

Any ideas on why this would change?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bamorris   

Oh wow!  Happened to me too!   It started on 3/2/23.  It happened with several labels before I caught it 😞 

It's happened 2 other times before, I've posted about both of them.  I'm a 23 year user, a Community Mentor & an IT expert.  I did NOT change it myself.   

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me, though the last time was over a year ago & the good news is that this time I actually had a few bucks in PP & it didn't take me a month to notice, like it did last time.   I need to take @mtgraves7984  approach & starting checking every single time. 

devon@ebay elizabeth@ebay kyle@ebay   Can one of you please forward this to the appropriate dept on Monday?  This is the THIRD time this has happened to me.  But this time it looks like it happened to others as well, on the same date.  There's usually a year or so in between these instances, so it's not an everday problem, but it causes a big mess every time it's changed without our knowing it. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

The Create Shipping Labels screen offers two choices to pay for labels.
a) Your pending Managed Payment funds
b) Paypal
After making a change, the eBay software will remember your choice for future labels.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Any ideas on why this would change?

@bamorris 

I have no idea of why it would change if you had already selected that the labels be paid for with 'My Funds'... it should have defaulted if you had it set up that way. With that being said... I'd suggest that you take a moment to scroll down and see what is actually  selected before buying more labels. Upward and onward and all...

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

That was it. It mysteriously changed. I changed it back on my next shipment and it is now deducting funds from my money on eBay.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Freakier things have happened. Rolling with it is what counts! 

ETA: I scroll down with every label out of fear. LOL 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@bamorris   

Oh wow!  Happened to me too!   It started on 3/2/23.  It happened with several labels before I caught it 😞 

It's happened 2 other times before, I've posted about both of them.  I'm a 23 year user, a Community Mentor & an IT expert.  I did NOT change it myself.   

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me, though the last time was over a year ago & the good news is that this time I actually had a few bucks in PP & it didn't take me a month to notice, like it did last time.   I need to take @mtgraves7984  approach & starting checking every single time. 

devon@ebay elizabeth@ebay kyle@ebay   Can one of you please forward this to the appropriate dept on Monday?  This is the THIRD time this has happened to me.  But this time it looks like it happened to others as well, on the same date.  There's usually a year or so in between these instances, so it's not an everday problem, but it causes a big mess every time it's changed without our knowing it. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm a former IT manager of 30 years in IT.

I did not change it knowingly. I would have had to tab to that field and pressed down arrow to change it. 

So I'm 99 percent confident I didn't change it. I also use my desktop to shop so I know it wasn't my palm on my trackpad either. I would have had to use my mouse to change that field and I know I didn't do that.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@bamorris wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm a former IT manager of 30 years in IT.

I did not change it knowingly. I would have had to tab to that field and pressed down arrow to change it. 

So I'm 99 percent confident I didn't change it. I also use my desktop to shop so I know it wasn't my palm on my trackpad either. I would have had to use my mouse to change that field and I know I didn't do that.

I'll  toot for both of us 😉  I don't post it to toot my horn, only to say that I am not a newbie user who is not IT-knowledgable.  I am 100% certain I did not change it.  This has happened to me twice before & one of those times, I actually SAW IT change & so did my DH (also 30 years IT), we did a double-take, both looked at each other & were like, 'wow, did we both really just see that'!  

Can you check your PP acct & post the exact date that it started for you, please? 

There is only ONE place to change it, which btw, from an IT standpoint, I think is a poor design.  I think there s/b a Global Setting in your Account Preferences & then a Local option in each listing to override the Global.  

When it happened again yesterday, I even looked to see if they finally added another place to set it, but I didn't see anything.  I am 100% certain I didn't change it b/c I've never changed it & I also never scroll the screen far down enough to get to that option.  The label process clicks are so ingrained in me, that even this morning, when I KNEW of the issue, I accidentally bought another label without changing it back LOL.  

This is part of the problem.  Even once you know it's been changed, unless there's a new option, you have to wait until you have another label to print, before you can 'fix' it.  Until the next time it just randomly happens. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

P.S.  You may want to change the Best Answer.  Not that I care about a 'score' but b/c if your date comes back as the 2nd, I am confident this was an eBay glitch.   Though IDK how widespread & this particular glitch can often take awhile for people to recognize.  The last time it happened to me, I went 3 weeks before I realized what was happening & I just got lucky that I popped into my PP account, which I almost never do. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Glad this was posted. It's happening to me too, out of no where, and I didn't change any settings.  

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you yes it was on Thursday that it started.

At first I thought the email from PayPal informing me of the label purchase was a phishing attack email. It wasn't until the second label purchase from PayPal that I realized something changed.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

In reply to message 9.

My answer in message 2, which was originally accepted as the solution, fixes the OP's problem (getting the funds deducted from their pending funds) with one click.

Your answer in message 6, which was later accepted as the solution, doesn't explain to future readers how to fix their problem.

This change reminds me of the 2009 VMA awards incident with Kanye West and Taylor Swift.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@onlinecentral  @bamorris  Sorry, didn't mean to start anything.  OP can certainly change it back if they wish.  But the question was did we have any idea how it happened, not how to fix it.   I did assume OP knew how to fix it, b/c they didn't ask that question.  Having also experienced the glitch on 3/2 (and with 3/2 being a Thursday, update day), I knew it was a tech glitch & not something OP had inadvertently changed.  Also, having had this problem 2 prior times, I knew it was a glitch that happens randomly.  @onlinecentral is  absolutely correct for how to fix it, but that wasn't the question.   The question was how did it magically change.    

That was my thinking, about documenting that the actual problem was a site glitch.  I apologize if it caused hurt feelings, as I would never want to be considered in the same breath as Kanye LOL & that was not my intent.  My only intent was to it documented correctly b/c this particular glitch is one that is often not noticed by users until awhile after the fact.  Last time it happened to me, it was 3 weeks before I noticed that the Funding Source had been changed on me.  I want to refer back & add to this thread, when I start seeing more of these on the boards, so that I can report  to eBay & they can hopefully figure out what update they made that changed it.  

If OP wants to change it back, it's fine, I certainly not trying to steal any credit, I was only thinking about proper documentation for when we start seeing more reports of this.  I am probably especially sensitive to this particular bug, b/c it has happened to me 3x now & it's very time consuming when it occurs. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@bamorris wrote:

That was it. It mysteriously changed. I changed it back on my next shipment and it is now deducting funds from my money on eBay.

I've had mine changed from Pending Funds to Pay Pal once.

Now, I always check to make sure it's right before continuing.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@nilis13 wrote:

Glad this was posted. It's happening to me too, out of no where, and I didn't change any settings.  

@nilis13  Can you please check your PP account & confirm what day it started for you?  Thank you! 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 15 of 24
latest reply