cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captcha on every login

I see on every login the captcha - twice.

That's a giving me a not so high satisfaction using this platform.

The page is telling me, that after a while this should disappear, but it happens now since several weeks (4?)

Why is this captcha page not disappearing after week, as the page suggests?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Captcha on every login

@warzone2k 

When ebay speaks of security (preventing automated systems) and then demands the keep of cookies and be logged in (forever), this is in my point of view contradictory: everyone knows about insecurity of keeping cookies in the cache, and about hijacking connections.

Penalizing users for having a secure concept (no cookies, logoff at end of session) through captchas leaves a bad taste for these users.

Please rethink this, and consider the fact that browsers are giving the casual users the ability to delete cookies on closing windows (or last tab to a site) via preferences.

eBay does not explain its security procedures -- those descriptions are mine based on what it appears that eBay is doing. Those recommendations are based on my observations and the observations of other users that have run into various problems signing in. 

eBay does not require users to keep cookies indefinitely, or at all. I can sign in to my account using a private or incognito browser without saving any cookies at all. But users that routinely erase all cookies or change their IP-address should expect that they may have to go through extra security steps to sign in again.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Captcha on every login

@warzone2k 

Verification prevents automated systems from attempting to try to crack accounts by using successive password tries. Verification protects your account directly, and also indirectly by making it harder for other cracked accounts to be used in fraudulent transactions that you might be involved in as a buyer or seller.

In most cases, after you have gone through verification and signed in and updated your eBay cookies, it should not be necessary to continue to go through verification each time you sign in (or to sign out). After a period of a week or so of having to go through multiple verification pages to sign in, using most browsers I no longer need to unless I delete my eBay cookies or change networks.

Here are some updated recommendations to try if you are encountering sign-in problems or verification problems.

How are you signing in? Using a bookmark? If so, you may need to update it.

If you go to the ebay.com page and use the sign-in link it will send you here:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

Almost all of the sign-in links I have seen send you to the same page, or an alternate page that looks the same:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn2

or possibly this:

https://www.ebay.com/signin/?sgn=reg&siteid=0

Try each of those links to see if one of these links works better for you if you are having difficulty signing in; if so, bookmark whichever link works best for future use and please follow up to let others know, as many other users are having difficulty signing in recently.

Do not give up immediately if you get a second verification page, in some cases you may need to get through two puzzle sliders or a puzzle plus one or two obfuscated number entries to sign in.

Other things that can interfere with signing in:

Sometimes when eBay changes the sign-in process, it causes problems for some users; sometimes those problems are due to using an old browser or obsolete cookies (though not always). Some users are just annoyed by verification; while others actually get stuck in a loop that just keeps presenting new sign-in pages or new verification pages, or just will not let them sign in at all.

Make sure you are allowing the sign-in page to load completely before attempting to sign in -- users have indicated that attempting to sign in before the page has loaded can cause problems.

Make sure your browser is set to accept cookies. Try another browser or another device, or a private or incognito browser session. If you delete your cookies, you will likely have to sign in and go through strict verification again, but if you have problems with a blocked or corrupt cookie, manually deleting your eBay cookies can help. Some browsers seem to require more verification than others; try signing in and out more than once to see if it requires verification the second time around.

Make sure your browser has javascript enabled:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled

VPNs can also cause sign-in issues, so try disabling yours if you use one and are encountering problems.

If you get a verification slider puzzle that has no background, there are three options below the slider -- close the pop-up, reload the pop-up, or try an alternative audio version that requires entering numbers that are read aloud.

If you are able to sign in, to stay signed in there is a "keep me signed in" checkbox on the sign-in page, but there is another checkbox in your account site preferences -- it might be worth checking that setting, or unchecking, saving, rechecking and saving again. That is, if you want to stay signed in and avoid having to go through verification.

If you have multiple accounts and must sign in and out to switch, consider using a dedicated browser for each account to minimize signing in and out. A private or incognito browser session is handy if you just need to check another account without signing out of your current account.

If you have successfully signed in using Google or Facebook before, try that again -- the sign in process using those may have different dependencies and may work better for you. But if you have not signed in using those before make sure you do not accidentally create a new eBay account when you attempt to sign in.

If you get really stuck, try signing in to ebay.ca or ebay.co.uk or using the eBay app on your phone -- that may allow you to do most non-listing or non-selling related activities.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

Hi,

thanks for your fast and detailed answer, which helped me a lot in identifying the issue.

The reason is clear: It's my uncommon setup, which contradicts ebay's demand on insecurity.

My setup is:

1. Copying a new, fresh installed docker image for every individual shopping site

2. Starting the image

3. Opening a (firefox) browser with private browsing window in the image

4. Doing shopping, not allowing 3rd party cookies, but JavaScript

5. Logoff

6. Closing the window and destroying all cookies (set by preferences)

7. Deleting the docker image

and not saving any passwords, no cookies, etc.

Yes, it's a bit paranoid concept, but with a higher level of security.

When ebay speaks of security (preventing automated systems) and then demands the keep of cookies and be logged in (forever), this is in my point of view contradictory: everyone knows about insecurity of keeping cookies in the cache, and about hijacking connections.

Penalizing users for having a secure concept (no cookies, logoff at end of session) through captchas leaves a bad taste for these users.

Please rethink this, and consider the fact that browsers are giving the casual users the ability to delete cookies on closing windows (or  last tab to a site) via preferences.

Thanks again for clarification, even it demands a lower level of security for me.

I doubt that I will accept this lower insecurity.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

@warzone2k 

Please rethink this, and consider the fact that browsers are giving the casual users the ability to delete cookies on closing windows (or last tab to a site) via preferences.

eBay does not explain its security procedures -- those descriptions are mine based on what it appears that eBay is doing. Those recommendations are based on my observations and the observations of other users that have run into various problems signing in. 

eBay does not require users to keep cookies indefinitely, or at all. I can sign in to my account using a private or incognito browser without saving any cookies at all. But users that routinely erase all cookies or change their IP-address should expect that they may have to go through extra security steps to sign in again.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

I just started getting the sliding puzzle piece verification again today. 

If eBay doesn't want me here it's no problem.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

Today is the first time that I've been able to login since Oct 2019, using some extremely tedious VM workarounds.

Sort this out ebay - it is costing you lost business. Either get rid of it, or do it competently in-house.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

All you have to do when this happens is right click on the link you use to go to eBay and select properties.

In the location bar erase what is there and add this  :https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Then click save.  You can check to see if you did it correctly by repeating the same process and checking that the location you copy and pasted is there.  You should be able to now connect without captcha.  Regularly erase your browser cookies as a general rule.

'rgards

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

Do not use the colon ( : )
Copy and paste only below:
https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

I lost 2 items I really wanted. I was in the hospital and in surgery so I did my bidding through Gavelsnipe, which will bid for me however many seconds before the end that I choose. I got the message after the auction that Ebay Captcha prevented the bidding. I am so tired of Ebay's rules and regulations, we cannot even email a customer which to me is VERY wrong. I have made a sale to these people and I should be able to email them, but Ebay must sit there in meeting and make rules and regulations constantly, and not even letting us use an outside bidding platform like Gavelsnipe is now another problem due to their CAPTCHA. Stop limniting everything the people who pay money to you try to do.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

I am unable to login, the new captcha is stuck on Verifying after clicking on my privacy-hardened Firefox. This is not a proper way to avoid bots as it avoids users. Bots will soon use their Android API or get smart enough to go through these captchas. We have our verified accounts, having them for a long time, having strong random passwords. I can set up 2FA. But requiring captchas or doing port scanning is way too much!

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

I have noticed therer are posts all over the internet about thgis issue ongoing nd generally unresolved for most people since way back in 2016 to 2016, and may go back a little further? 

Even today here in 2020 in was in an endless loop. IT seems to so arbitrarily switch to doing this, and everything cops the blame EXCEPT ebay? When the only real common factor in this does seem to EBAY

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

I use an AdBlocker. I had to disable the AdBlocker for the eBay sign in page. After that, no more stupid #%@&^ Captcha. 

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

since the puzzle thingy. every time i solved it i had to relaunch the page to continue, which is odd.

today i got stuck in the loop. non-stop login attempts and puzzles.

i managed to pass it by disabling ublock on https://signin.ebay.com/ only.

i agree with all the above comments, that it is very odd to penalise users who care about their privacy, making it diffucult if you are behind a vpn, or clearing cache, or having any other measure.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

I was having the captcha every time for the past month. Then yesterday my account was hacked. Luckily I caught it very quickly, with only 1 fraudulent purchase. 

So maybe you should assume someone is trying to hack you account, and enable more security on it.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Captcha on every login

The Captcha is a loop that doesn't stop.

No!!! It's not going away after a week.

It is every time, every day.

This WAS'NT happening before...

now it is constant.

This is YOU, not me.

It takes me 20-50 Captchas to get in... Everyday... I don't need this frustration.

I hate you eBay!!!!

Im done with you!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply