cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not sign in to eBay using Microsoft Edge and Window 10 on Labtop

I am a seller with two accounts.  When eBay began using a new sign-in window a month or so ago, I experienced difficulties signing in.  I kept getting a window that stated " We ran into a problem.  Try again later."  This happens daily.  Have held many chats with eBay support.  The problem seems to be tied to the Microsoft Edge browser and Windows 10.  Oddly, I can eventually get signed in using Internet Explorer.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Here are some updated recommendations to try if you are encountering sign-in problems or verification problems.

How are you signing in? Using a bookmark? If so, you may need to update it.

If you go to the ebay.com page and use the sign-in link it will send you here:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

Almost all of the sign-in links I have seen send you to the same page, or an alternate page that looks the same:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn2

or possibly this:

https://www.ebay.com/signin/?sgn=reg&siteid=0

This older link worked better until recently, but eBay has updated things so that this link now points to the current page at the top link:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Try each of those links to see if one of these links works better for you if you are having difficulty signing in; if so, bookmark whichever link works best for future use and please follow up to let others know, as many other users are having difficulty signing in recently.

Do not give up immediately if you get a second verification page, in some cases you may need to get through two puzzle sliders or a puzzle plus one or two obfuscated number entries to sign in.

Other things that can interfere with signing in:

Sometimes when eBay changes the sign-in process, it causes problems for some users; sometimes those problems are due to using an old browser or obsolete cookies (though not always). Some users are just annoyed by verification; while others actually get stuck in a loop that just keeps presenting new sign-in pages or new verification pages, or just will not let them sign in at all.

Make sure you are allowing the sign-in page to load completely before attempting to sign in -- users have indicated that attempting to sign in before the page has loaded can cause problems.

Make sure your browser is set to accept cookies. Try another browser or another device, or a private or incognito browser session. If you delete your cookies, you will likely have to sign in and go through strict verification again, but if you have problems with a blocked or corrupt cookie, manually deleting your eBay cookies can help. Some browsers seem to require more verification than others; try signing in and out more than once to see if it requires verification the second time around.

Make sure your browser has javascript enabled:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled

VPNs can also cause sign-in issues, so try disabling yours if you use one and are encountering problems.

If you get a verification slider puzzle that has no background, there are three options below the slider -- close the pop-up, reload the pop-up, or try an alternative audio version that requires entering numbers that are read aloud.

If you are able to sign in, to stay signed in there is a "keep me signed in" checkbox on the sign-in page, but there is another checkbox in your account site preferences -- it might be worth checking that setting, or unchecking, saving, rechecking and saving again. That is, if you want to stay signed in and avoid having to go through verification.

If you have multiple accounts and must sign in and out to switch, consider using a dedicated browser for each account to minimize signing in and out. A private or incognito browser session is handy if you just need to check another account without signing out of your current account.

If you have successfully signed in using Google or Facebook before, try that again -- the sign in process using those may have different dependencies and may work better for you. But if you have not signed in using those before make sure you do not accidentally create a new eBay account when you attempt to sign in.

If you get really stuck, try signing in to ebay.ca or ebay.co.uk or using the eBay app on your phone -- that may allow you to do most non-listing or non-selling related activities.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

A view preliminary comments:

I have the original version of the Edge browser. Microsoft has since come out with an updated Chromium-based version. One short fall of the original edge is that one cannot delete an individual specified cookie, although there appears to be a workaround.

In the past I signed in using autofill bur that when down hill quickly with the new sign in window. I have since gone to manually signing in the email addresses and passwords and that has not worked.

On the rare times that I somehow was able to sign in to one of my accounts using Edge, I attempted to sign in to my other account using Internet Explorer. This did not work. I am unable to look at two different accounts at the same time.

My edge browser is set to accept cookies and javascript are enabled. I do not use VPNs. I do not subscribe to Facebook.

The four links that you provided for eBay.com result in sign-in windows that all look identical to each other. I’ll give each a try and report back later.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You may have better luck using an InPrivate browser window (Control-Shift-N in Edge) as that bypasses your current browser cookies, though you will have to sign in again each time you start a new session in that case.

I would suggest trying Firefox or Chrome, or one of the many variants of those browsers, to see if any of those work any better for you. You can keep using the Legacy Version of Edge for most tasks, or else update to the latest version if you prefer.

To see which version you have and if an update is available, see here:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Ignore the ads, but if there is an update for your current browser, there should be a link at the top near the browser version. Sometimes that page will misidentify an uncommon browser, such as AVG Secure browser, which appears as an old version of Chrome (likely because it is based on Chrome).

If you dedicate a particular browser to one eBay account, you can stay signed in to that account and avoid a lot of hassle signing in and out -- as long as you are the only one with access to your computer.

I have many different browsers on my machine; when something does not work in one browser, I usually try another to see if the problem is related to the browser or particular browser settings -- often it is easier to switch to a different browser than to try to find out which setting is causing an issue, particularly if I am in a hurry.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

My recent experiences have been nothing short of strange.

Initially your suggested links sent me directly to one of my accounts. It appears that this account had been “open” but I just couldn’t sign in to look at it. The previous was using the Edge browser. Meanwhile I was able to sign in to my other account using Internet Explorer. Thus, I was able to access both accounts (using different browsers). However, the browsers windows do not update themselves and I have to manually refresh each (browser) window/page.

On occasion I would inadvertently close one of the account windows. However, in each browser/account case, I was able to sign back in.

Also, I have had some problems corresponding on the Forum website. In order to replay to your comments, I have to be signed in, which it asks me to do (despite the above). Eventually my replay gets posted.

My take on this is that I think that ebay is working on correcting the sign in problems, just not very successfully. This may be compounded by other processors (google, bing, etc) revising their systems.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I have 3 accounts I sell in. I used to be able to toggle between accounts using saved password on google chrome. Then about 2 months ago I began having trouble switching between accounts. I was getting error messages or had to reconfirm accounts and prove I wasn't a robot each time. Just too time consuming to go in and out of accounts. I now open each account in a different browser I have on account saved to chrome, one to edge and one to mozilla. now I just have to toggle to different browsers. Still a hassle but only 2 clicks instead 4-6 entries each trying to get a

to account. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply