cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lithium Spell check

What has happened to Lithium spell check?

I am teh wodst spellerer with artheritous severilly in my handts and can really use the help of a spell check.

Spell check was acting odd about at week ago. last couple of days the option disappeared from the options when composing a discussion. Did I break spellcheck. Could have happened.

The options above the composition box used to be:

Font v; Size v, A v;  spellcheck.
(or maybe spellcheck was an option in the band above with Photos Video, etc?, I forget)

Am I alone in this? Is spellcheck coming back?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Lithium Spell check

@little.font.lord.leroy  

doug@ebay said:

We’ve made the decision to switch from the Community spellchecker to browser spellcheck. Browser based spellcheck options are not site dependent, and allow users to set up their own custom dictionaries.

More information here.

Post #7

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/Spell-check-doesn-t-work/m-p/29355341#M853...

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

doug@ebay said:

We’ve made the decision to switch from the Community spellchecker to browser spellcheck. Browser based spellcheck options are not site dependent, and allow users to set up their own custom dictionaries.

Nothing I hate more than corporate double speak/spin, and no body seems to do it more than eBay. This was not a switch. eBay dropped Community Spellchecker. Plain and Simple. Now your option is to download a browser spellchecker. Can we sell you on the benefits of using one? anybody?

allow me to translate:

"We have decided that we can save a few pennies a week by dropping our Spell check function. We don't think that users will miss it, and the person who came up with the idea got a promotion for saving us a little cash during eBay's desperate financial crisis at this time. I mean come on guys, you can download your own browser spellcheck, why should we have to maintain that, even though you are giving free advice, are not paid for your time and effort and are saving the company dollars every time you can help out another user who would otherwise be taking up hours of time with a phone Rep who doesn't quite understand their problem. And we all know none of you are going to stop giving advice because of a lousy spell-check, so basically you don't need it so you don't deserve it."

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

My motto and a good one to remember to make life easier...

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff! Smiley Very Happy

p.s.  I didn't have to download a new spell checker as it was already loaded in the Chrome browser!  Since you are fairly new you may not have realized that the Lithium spell checker has been dissed for a long time by community users as just an unnecessary extra step...from the Selling Board:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Browser-based-spellcheck/m-p/29372162#M1350446

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

hi @little.font.lord.leroy, actually we didn't drop the Community Spellchecker. There was feedback from Community members suggesting we look into switching to browser based spellcheck, and this is something we've heard before. Frankly, browser based spellcheckers give you more options than the Lithium built in spellchecker. You don't have to download a browser spellchecker, your browser has one and it should work by default. You CAN download spellcheckers or use them, Grammarly is a good one that works in the Community as well.

Here's some info from the link @hidy-hoo shared:

More information on spellchecker in Chrome: https://mywindowshub.com/how-to-automatically-to-turn-on-spell-checker-in-google-chrome/

Here’s information on spellchecker for Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

More information on spellchecker in Internet Explorer: https://howtech.tv/web/how-to-spell-check-in-internet-explorer/

If you're having issues with your built-in browser spellchecker, let me know what browser your using and I'll try to help.

I didn't get a promotion, and it's not saving us any cash. Smiley Wink

@little.font.lord.leroy wrote:

doug@ebay said:

Nothing I hate more than corporate double speak/spin, and no body seems to do it more than eBay. This was not a switch. eBay dropped Community Spellchecker. Plain and Simple. Now your option is to download a browser spellchecker. Can we sell you on the benefits of using one? anybody?

allow me to translate:

"We have decided that we can save a few pennies a week by dropping our Spell check function. We don't think that users will miss it, and the person who came up with the idea got a promotion for saving us a little cash during eBay's desperate financial crisis at this time. I mean come on guys, you can download your own browser spellcheck, why should we have to maintain that, even though you are giving free advice, are not paid for your time and effort and are saving the company dollars every time you can help out another user who would otherwise be taking up hours of time with a phone Rep who doesn't quite understand their problem. And we all know none of you are going to stop giving advice because of a lousy spell-check, so basically you don't need it so you don't deserve it."

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

doug@ebay wrote:

Thanks for the advise, I am able to use the spellcheck in my browser, I fond the one at lithium better though. Perhaps this is a semantics thing, whether the spellcheck function was halted in order to allow browser spell checks to operate,  either way the site spellcheck was dropped, otherwise I could access it, right?

I am not sure if it is saving Lithium or eBay money, but it does cost money to operate a program on your site's computer. It ain't free.  Every time a user uses the spell check, the site's computer is pinged to give an answer, this costs money in terms of electricity, bandwidth and wear and tear as well as memory. If I don't use your site spell check, you aren't spending that money.  Smiley Wink

Now, it might be true that saving money was never part of your decision making process, but save money you did.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Smiley Happy

doug@ebay wrote:

Thanks for the advise, I am able to use the spellcheck in my browser, I fond the one at lithium better though. Perhaps this is a semantics thing, whether the spellcheck function was halted in order to allow browser spell checks to operate,  either way the site spellcheck was dropped, otherwise I could access it, right?

I am not sure if it is saving Lithium or eBay money, but it does cost money to operate a program on your site's computer. It ain't free.  Every time a user uses the spell check, the site's computer is pinged to give an answer, this costs money in terms of electricity, bandwidth and wear and tear as well as memory. If I don't use your site spell check, you aren't spending that money.  Smiley Wink

Now, it might be true that saving money was never part of your decision making process, but save money you did.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

doug@ebay wrote:

Thanks for the advise, I am able to use the spellcheck in my browser, I fond the one at lithium better though.

I don't know why any of us needs a spellcheck on the discussion boards, since there are some posters who are more than willing to correct our spelling for us. Who needs spellcheck when we can be publicly shamed by other posters?Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I never use a spellchecker, they're as bad as autocorrect on your phone.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply