cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what impact will ebay layoffs have on Selling Community? Thoughts?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-ebay-lay-off-500-222104466.html

Feb 7 (Reuters) - E-commerce firm eBay Inc said on Tuesday it will lay off 500 employees globally, representing 4% of its total workforce.

Shares of the San Jose, California-based company rose about 1% in aftermarket trade.

"This shift gives us additional space to invest and create new roles in high-potential areas - new technologies, customer innovations and key markets," said Jamie Iannone, Chief Executive Officer of Ebay in a message to employees.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Text of CEO's full announcement can be found here:

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-announces-layoffs-500-employees-globally/

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

No impact.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Unless they have laid off the employees that manage the Community boards, etc, it won't affect me (as a micro-seller) at all.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Text of CEO's full announcement can be found here:

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-announces-layoffs-500-employees-globally/

Thanks for sharing @my-cottage-books-and-antiques !

I'm reserving judgement on what impact it will have on sellers until we get a better idea of which departments are impacted, but seeing some reports that some 10 year+ software engineers are on their way out the door which does not bode well, in my opinion.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

The eBay Help Center will be moved from the Philippines to North Korea.

It will be renamed the "eBay No-Help-For-Capitalist-Running-Dogs Center."

Many sellers will experience no discernible  difference in the level of assistance.

(Just a joke, folks. . ..)

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

As long as it's the employees who keep messing with the listing form and making category changes, I'm good with it.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

This right here should tell you everything you need to know about how it's likely to impact the broader selling base:

"Today’s actions are designed to strengthen our ability to deliver better end-to-end experiences for our customers and to support more innovation and scale across our platform. They also help us make sure we’re concentrating on where we can make the biggest impact, including expanding Focus Categories,
creating trusted experiences and investing in new technologies.

Importantly, this shift gives us additional space to invest and create new roles in high-potential areas — new technologies, customer innovations and key markets — and to continue to adapt and flex with the changing macro, ecommerce and technology landscape. We’re also simplifying our structure to make decisions more effectively and with more speed"

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Well....hopefully it stops all the dumb changes just to be changing stuff to justify their jobs.....

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  I get the impression he's saying: We are going to double down on our Verticals strategy and our innovative Promoted Listings revenue enhancement project, and we are getting rid of anyone who has doubts about this strategy.

But I could be wrong. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

This doesn’t seem to even mention sellers. “Customers” is buyer focused. Sellers are not really eBay customers. 

I would not be surprised, in the not to distant future, eBay may split in two, at least.   
One arm would be the investment, luxury, side. The other arm would be a return to their “garage sale” roots. 
Maybe an arm for digital trade. NFTs and such things that are yet to be known. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

500 employees globally, representing 4% of its total workforce.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Does that not indicate that eBay has 12, 500 employees world wide?   (.04x12500=500).  Actually, I thought they had more.   Missing from the eBay announcement is the CATEGORY of employee that is getting the ax.  I would assume they outsource janitorial services, so they don't count.  Either do the call center reps.  More details should be interesting.  

"Thank you for your incredible talent, passion, and achievements to help get us to where we are today. I’m so grateful for the impact that you made at eBay. "   

i.e. 

Too bad, so sad?   Here is your reward? 

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresource  I get the impression he's saying: We are going to double down on our Verticals strategy and our innovative Promoted Listings revenue enhancement project, and we are getting rid of anyone who has doubts about this strategy.

But I could be wrong. 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques I don't think that's an unfair impression.

I also took it as "sorry you lost your job, but I need to hire a fancy crypto lawyer for this gimmicky NFT marketplace acquisition I'm stuck with now."

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

You would think the CEO would use a different corporate buzzword playbook for internal comms vs external.

"high-potential areas" kinda sounds like "high value buyers".

And when has any good come from eBay "simplifying" anything? 😂

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@dryophelia wrote:

This doesn’t seem to even mention sellers. “Customers” is buyer focused. Sellers are not really eBay customers. 

I would not be surprised, in the not to distant future, eBay may split in two, at least.   
One arm would be the investment, luxury, side. The other arm would be a return to their “garage sale” roots. 
Maybe an arm for digital trade. NFTs and such things that are yet to be known. 

@dryophelia 

💥 I think you just blew my mind. Come sit back here with me...

Message 15 of 29
latest reply