cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

used auto parts for sale on ebay

Hello ebay , first time here on the community. just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking to buy used general motors parts. i see many sellers listings for used parts from gm vehicles, but what most people don't know is that most electronic control modules like ecm,bcm,ebcm,or any module that comunicates on the global network cannot be re-used on another car. i am a veteran  tech of 30 years and thought i could save people some headaches.  any gm vehicle from 2013 and up will use this global type comunication. there are a few earlyer models as well(ie 2010 and up camaro).  this also includes all key fobs that are the flip open style, or the keyless  type. these fobs can only be learned to one car, they cannot be re-learned to other cars. i recomend a phone call to your local gm dealer to ask if a used part is possible before buying, im not sure if the sellers are even aware of this problem.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Very interesting to learn about this.

I guess those sellers you are talking about are opening themselves up to SNADs then.

I would hope people wouldn't blindly buy something without knowing if it would work or not but as well all know.. that simply just isn't the case here on ebay with a lot of irresponsible buyers.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

i recomend a phone call to your local gm dealer to ask if a used part is possible before buying, im not sure if the sellers are even aware of this problem.

Calling somebody might be a good idea but calling a GM dealer probably would be the worst place. They are obviously going to tell you that only a branded factory fresh part will work no matter if it's true or not.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Very interesting to learn about this.

here on ebay with a lot of irresponsible buyers.

Like you, I too just lurnt this --

so your right, all other buyers are irresponsible!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

thanks for the info.

Sellers would end up paying return shipping once the buyer finds out it does not work.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for sharing post.  It is very interesting.  Best regards

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

When it comes to selling car parts (or most anything) on ebay....  There a 3 things that a cheap selling price can obliterate... Common sense, inquisitiveness, and intelligence.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

this is probably true, but it cant hurt to ask. most dealers are very helpful. I work at one and if asked I would help if I could. there are many electronic parts that are re-usable. but not any of the components that communicate on the global network.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tc88harley, @*all

In most areas there is usually one Old School non bigbox autoparts store that offers some repair or machine shop services. Many also will "flash" reset an ECM, BCM, EBCM etc. and they will know if one of those units can be switched between cars. 

If you dig deeper online there may be a method to reset those units without having to go to a dealership or shop.  Some of vehicles have a method to re-teach them right in the car.  Not sure about vehicles made after 2012, but checking online can save time and effort.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 9
latest reply