cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i refund through paypal or ebay?

i’m about to issue a refund for an item. it was requested by the buyer through ebay, as “item does not work” (was “for parts,” but whatever). do i issue it through ebay or paypal? seems like it wants me to do it through ebay, but want to make sure before i click a button i can’t take back. 

thanks! 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay!

That is if you want a refund of your fees and want to avoid a defect.

If you do it through PayPal you won't get a refund of FVF fees and eBay may consider it a seller initiated cancellation. You don't want either of those things to happen.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

eBay!

That is if you want a refund of your fees and want to avoid a defect.

If you do it through PayPal you won't get a refund of FVF fees and eBay may consider it a seller initiated cancellation. You don't want either of those things to happen.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, do it through eBay.  It actually makes no difference, but it is good that eBay sees that you did it.  'Tis easier also.

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@myboardidwrote:

Yes, do it through eBay.  It actually makes no difference, but it is good that eBay sees that you did it.  'Tis easier also.

@ericlovescameras

But don't do it until you have received your item back (assuming you agreed the buyer needed to return the item and not keep it AND receive a refund).

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

thanks all. glad to see paypal doesn’t keep the transaction fee.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@ericlovescameraswrote:
thanks all. glad to see paypal doesn’t keep the transaction fee.

PayPal DOES keep the 30 cent transaction fee. Only the percentage fee is refunded.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

shiesty 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Not really. They did after all process a transaction so they're entitled to a transaction fee.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I am a newbie with regard to returns, and concerned about the potential for scammers - if a return is done through ebay, does this register with Paypal connected to the original transaction? Or can a buyer file a second return claim through Paypal to try to get more money back?  Asking because the answer might steer me one way or the other as to which site to do a return through if I suspected the buyer was a scammer.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

if they were not owned by ebay i’d agree.

you should ask in a new thread, laura. you’d get an answer almost immediately. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lauralemurwrote:

I am a newbie with regard to returns, and concerned about the potential for scammers - if a return is done through ebay, does this register with Paypal connected to the original transaction? Or can a buyer file a second return claim through Paypal to try to get more money back?  Asking because the answer might steer me one way or the other as to which site to do a return through if I suspected the buyer was a scammer.

Yes it registers with PayPal. The transactions are linked, eBay can see the buyer paid and the original payment is what is returned to the buyer. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@ericlovescameraswrote:

if they were not owned by ebay i’d agree.

@ericlovescameras

PayPal is no longer owned by eBay.  Hasn't been since 2015.  The two are separate companies.  Only reason eBay has continued to have PayPal handle their back-office payment transactions is that they had contracted with PayPal to do so until 2020.   

eBay recently announced they will not be renewing their contract with PayPal when it expires. Though PayPal will continue to be a payment option buyers can use when purchasing items on eBay, all back-end payment processing after the PayPal contract expires will be handled by Adyen, and similar payment processing company that's located in the Netherlands.

HTH

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

interesting. thanks for the info. and now knowing, i agree Paypal deserves their 30 cents.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply