cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sales have almost stopped completely....why?

I am at a loss.....my sales have completely dropped off a cliff. I am a TOP RATED PLUS seller and recently I often have to search pages and pages deep to even find my listings and sometimes I cannot find them at all. Also items that are selling like hotcakes right now are not even getting views. I have 5 auctions running right now for Nike Huarache 4 LE Lacrosse cleats that when I look at sold listings appear to be selling steadily...yet several of my listings have less than 10 views after being up for several days now. I am not the cheapest or the highest priced on my items...im in the middle. But If you look at my listings like my Nike Huarache Lacrosse shoes listings I beleive my listings are of a pretty high quality and my feedback backs up that quality...so why are my listings getting such low view counts? I thought being "TOP RATED PLUS" meant your listings go to the TOP. Any suggestions. I cant event cover my ebay fees at this sales rate. If this keeps up I will be forced to close my store. I did far more sales BEFORE becoming TOP RATED PLUS than I do now....far more.

Signed......confused, scared and more confused.

My Nike Huarache listing to use as an examle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nike-Huarache-4-LE-LAX-Leather-Lacrosse-Cleats-Choose-Color-Size-624978-199-...

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Let see what happens in January - every year:

1.  Credit  card bills start coming due from the Christmas buy period.

2.  Income tax time those that need to pay  - probably ain't going to buy much.

3. Businesses seem to  lay off permanent staff in Dec or Jan if they had a not so good year.  e.g. People in the oil/gas related  industries are getting laid off  - crude oil /gas prices are way down - a major drilling/explorations company based out of Houston, Schlumberger, laid off 10K in 2015 and will be  evaluating  qtr. by/qtr what  additiona lcuts will be made for teh next 12-24 mos.  Not a pretty sight for sure.

4.  All those temporary seasonal workers that are added in teh last quarter of  the year are let go - warehousing, retailers, USPS, UPS, Fed-Ex ,etc.

Like the other poster stated, sales activity is never  level from month to month - monthly sales activity is more like a "yo-yo" graph. I sold capital equipment  for 41 years.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

That's how is goes, in a venue that doesn't realize sellers were buyers, when they eject huge numbers of sellers along the way.

In the past 2 years, I transitioned from spending 1k month to a whooping zero.  Why?  There is nothing good any longer that I would consider buying .. and all the same, why spend money in a venue that I can't earn a positive value in?  ie can't sell, why bother?

I look elsewhere ... EBay seems to be filled largely with Chinese garbage.  EBay likes the mess though!

Off note: How hard would it be to implement a new Buyer Requirement: Prevent buyers from purchasing my items if they have more than [ X ] reports against them for abusing the Money Back Guarantee. Where X is a value between 0 and 1000. I'm on-board for zero!!!! =D Gimme!
Message 2 of 67
latest reply

hard to sell man shoes always slow take time. also wather mark is too big. 

Message 3 of 67
latest reply

Had to make watermark impossible or pretty hard to remove....sellers were literally stealing my pictures and entire listing word for word. I wanted it to be perfectly clear to the buyer that I took the photos and that they are of the item that they will receive. I found 5 absolute copies of one of my listings...how is a buyer supposed to know what they will get when 4 out of 5 sellers didnt even have theyre own picture of the item, merely a stolen photo. I understand using "free use" photos off the web...i do that, but flat out copying another sellers ENTIRE listing word for word and pictures too? I had to do something to put a stop to it.

Message 4 of 67
latest reply

Well, on a search for

Nike Huarache 4

on auction...........yours are just a few under the top listing..........so at least on those you are certainly being seen........at least in search

I'd try NEW at the front of the title instead of the end and see if that helps any......may be getting lost at the end......

I don't see much activity on any of those tho.........

Message 5 of 67
latest reply

@guitarsunderthestarsllc wrote:

I am at a loss.....my sales have completely dropped off a cliff. I am a TOP RATED PLUS seller and recently I often have to search pages and pages deep to even find my listings and sometimes I cannot find them at all. Also items that are selling like hotcakes right now are not even getting views. 

AND that is my reason to stop listing sales dropped off a cliff, to quote another recent post "something is going on"

not going to list a 100 items to snag a sale or two...but that is my view or situation...I relise many sellers do well.

Message 6 of 67
latest reply

I've been studying ebay for 7 months now, and am ready to send my comments to Devin Wenig. Your point here that you stopped buying is endemic, and here's why: there aren't enough sellers.

I know sellers hate to hear this, but it's obvious. To have deals and competition, there has to be, well, competition, to drive the price down. Look at A. The whole point of FBA, which I loathe, is a kind of price fixing by them to keep the prices of books down to pennies.

For instance: I collect/buy certain exercise videos, religious periodicals, certain brands of jewelry, and certain kinds of old linens. THEY AREN'T ON EBAY ANYMORE. The sellers left. So the sellers that remain just keep the average priced items up indefinitely in their store. I don't buy, they don't sell, it's a circle.
Message 7 of 67
latest reply

Don't get me started on free use. There's no such thing. NO THING. I'm a copyright consultant, so please don't think that any image online is free!!!!
And you're right to watermark all.
Message 8 of 67
latest reply

My sales have dropped way off too. I sell beauty items.  I am lucky lately to have one sale a day and used to average at least 4 or 5.  Something is definitely going on.  I have stopped buying items to sell as my inventory is not moving fast enough.  I thought maybe it's because I don't have a store, but I'm seeing sellers with stores having the same problems.

Message 9 of 67
latest reply

I stopped buying also....not to harm anyone just don't feel like buying after sales dropped off the cliff.

Message 10 of 67
latest reply

For the Nike Huarache 4 LE Lacrosse cleats, there are 157 active listings, 57 pairs have sold since November 8th and since Feb 1st: 6 pairs have sold. Of those six all of  had either best offer, free shipping or a lower starting price.

How do your prices compare to a buyer buying total price, to me, it's showing a ship charge of 9.75 which makes those shoes 59.44, to me. Are you still in the middle? Not saying your shipping is high or anything of the sort, I'm just asking if you're on the high end in terms of total cost?

Personally, I look it at like 6 buyers had 157 options in the last three days, 153 of those options weren't yours. Six sales in three days...that doesn't sound exactly hotcakes. It sounds like they sell, but not as fast or as quickly as you're hoping.

Message 11 of 67
latest reply

@prettynice444 wrote:
Don't get me started on free use. There's no such thing. NO THING. I'm a copyright consultant, so please don't think that any image online is free!!!!
And you're right to watermark all.

If not a watermark/copyright it's a free for all, who is going to worry of the trilliun pictures surfing on the internet....yea I'm worried. 🙂 lol

this is not Las Vegas.

Message 12 of 67
latest reply

Unfortunaly my sales have collapsed approx. 90%

We are considering leaving now.  Its a disaster.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

From what im reading in other threads sellers across every category are seeing lowered sales. Something has changed. Ive gone from 4-10 sales a day to 4-10 sales a week the last several weeks. Maybe its the upcoming elections...maybe people overspent on powerball a few weeks ago and are recovering, LOL. Who knows, I am a disabled person whos opportunities to earn are limited. Hopefully things will turn around. Good luck everyone, love some of the responses. Thanks to all who took time to reply!

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

@prettynice444 wrote:
I've been studying ebay for 7 months now, and am ready to send my comments to Devin Wenig. Your point here that you stopped buying is endemic, and here's why: there aren't enough sellers.

I know sellers hate to hear this, but it's obvious. To have deals and competition, there has to be, well, competition, to drive the price down. Look at A. The whole point of FBA, which I loathe, is a kind of price fixing by them to keep the prices of books down to pennies.

For instance: I collect/buy certain exercise videos, religious periodicals, certain brands of jewelry, and certain kinds of old linens. THEY AREN'T ON EBAY ANYMORE. The sellers left. So the sellers that remain just keep the average priced items up indefinitely in their store. I don't buy, they don't sell, it's a circle.

Can I ask why you feel prices need to be driven down?

The offshore sellers do enough of that already.

This isn't the Bargain Basement

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 67
latest reply