cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening/responding to cases

I sold an item to a buyer who claims to not have received it. It was shipped and I have the tracking number. I provided this as the person opened a case.  For whatever reason the USPS hasn't delivered it or has stolen the item (it was sent media mail....Grrrrr....F USPS..but I digress.)  At any rate, must i refund the buyer or does ebay settle the case based on the information provided? Thanks.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: opening/responding to cases

You are responsible to get the item safely to your buyer.  If the tracking does not show that it was delivered, then yes you have to refund your buyer.  Do not wait until ebay does it for you as that could result in a serious defect.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@williazwer_0 wrote:

I sold an item to a buyer who claims to not have received it. It was shipped and I have the tracking number. I provided this as the person opened a case.  For whatever reason the USPS hasn't delivered it or has stolen the item (it was sent media mail....Grrrrr....F USPS..but I digress.)  At any rate, must i refund the buyer or does ebay settle the case based on the information provided? Thanks.

Media mail can be a SLOW route at times. What exactly does the tracking show now?

If the package is still in route, you can call EBay and ask them to allow more time for delivery. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

"What exactly does the tracking show now?

If the package is still in route, you can call EBay and ask them to allow more time for delivery."

---------

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do The Above

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

It has been "in transit" since august 20th! see below
\
Estimated delivery
Mon, Aug 19
Tracking details
USPS tracking #9449009699937718988223
Aug 20, 2019
12:00am
In Transit to Next Facility
Aug 16, 2019
1:37am
Arrived at USPS Destination Facility
SAINT PAUL, MN 55131
Aug 13, 2019
7:25am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Aug 13, 2019
6:10am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
LEWES, DE 19958
Aug 11, 2019
3:56pm
Tracking number provided
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

this is **bleep** and not the first time this has happened. At what point does the USPS become liable for taking away from sellers' livelihoods. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Based on how late it already is, as I said in my post, refund you buyer.  He/she has waited long enough, imo.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

You get what you pay for.  Media mail is cheap but very unreliable.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

That does not look good.  Others will be along with suggestions on how to shake it loose, so to speak, by calling or opening a case with USPS.

Just make sure that you take care of the item not received case without having EBay step in. You should have some time to respond.  Dates should be available within the case.  

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@williazwer_0 wrote:

this is **bleep** and not the first time this has happened. At what point does the USPS become liable for taking away from sellers' livelihoods. 

You must just be having a run of bad luck or there is something deficient about the way the labels are attached.

The reason I say this is I have seen Etsy packages sitting on the counter at the USPS with one piece of packing tape across the label. Also have received packages where the shipper did not cover the barcode and address with packing tape. If that package gets wet at any time, the barcode and address ink will smear.

I have shipped 2000 over the last 30 months via USPS  with not a single issue.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Learned my lesson, but at what point does the USPS begin to take accountability for impacting people's livelihoods? If the package was inspected, friggin' return it back to sender. Don't steal it or return to me an empty envelope. (That's happened to me before as well)

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Was it a magazine? If so, they don't qualify for Media mail, and USPS might have opened it
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

What was the item?  Are you sure it was allowed to go media mail?

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

i think it was one of your weirdo customers

i mean......no offense but what you sell is not for everyone

why so harsh on the USPS

none of my stuff in the USA ever goes missing

thats 1600 pieces a year in the USA

I would refund quickly..........i am sure you have stacks more of whatever went missing

like they say...........dont sweat the small stuff.............I cant imagine getting bent out of shape over some media mail

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

For whatever reason the USPS hasn't delivered it or has stolen the item

It is also possible that your shipping label came unattached, or that the bar code no longer scans, or that it became unreadable.  

it was sent media mail....Grrrrr....F USPS..but I digress

I have shipped thousands of packages by media mail with no issues. IMHO it is just a reliable as first class and almost as fast. 

But that aside ... 

You were the one who chose to offer media mail on your listing, not the USPS 🙂

At any rate, must i refund the buyer or does ebay settle the case based on the information provided?

Both.

eBay will settle the case based on the information provided. 

But since the information provided does not include delivery confirmation, you will be out of luck. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply