cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

final value fees

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.46.01 PM.png

 Why is my final value fees include shipping and sales tax???  Sales tax is paid by the buyer and should not be included in the final purchase price.  S&H should be handled separately and fees shouldn't be taken out of them either.  You are ripping off your sellers by including these in your final value fees.  Isn't 12.55% enough of the sold item??

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: final value fees

Many, many existing threads on this topic, and your question is answered multiple times in most of them. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Why is my final value fees include shipping and sales tax?

Because that is how eBay chose to calculate the fee.

If you go back over a decade, you'll find that eBay originally extended fees to shipping for two reasons - (a) to take away the financial penalty for free shipping, and (b) to combat sellers who avoided fees by selling $50 items as $1 item price with $49 shipping.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

As with most funds processors a fee is charged on the entire amount being processed.

eBay is a "for profit" corporation. They will get the profit in any legal manner of their choosing.

As sellers we have to either choose to accept that, of move on to some other spot to sell.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

IF the two amounts you have accused e-Bay of "ripping sellers off" were not clearly indicated, I would absolutely agree with you. As they are, or should be, known by any seller, they are not "rip offs." I do, however, wish they did not exist, but I am also aware of why those sums are charged.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@wvtooregon1960 wrote:

Isn't 12.55% enough of the sold item??

If it makes you feel better, the fee's are still 12.55%

Have a great day
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Not always.

I pay 14.55% for my book sales.

And sneakerheads are screaming like little boys that their FVF is being raised from 0% to 8%.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4809

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@wvtooregon1960 wrote:

 Why is my final value fees include shipping and sales tax???  Sales tax is paid by the buyer and should not be included in the final purchase price.  S&H should be handled separately and fees shouldn't be taken out of them either.  You are ripping off your sellers by including these in your final value fees.  Isn't 12.55% enough of the sold item??

I would most definitely send ebay a strongly worded written letter discussing this.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@wvtooregon1960 wrote:

You just noticed that you've been paying FVF on shipping for 11 years? You should be concerned about what else you may have missed.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Write your congressperson about this.  

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

You just noticed that you've been paying FVF on shipping for 11 years? You should be concerned about what else you may have missed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, like possibly requesting a feedback revision.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, like possibly requesting a feedback revision.

@buyselljack2016 

Another A++ piece of advice! 😉

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I've sold a few small items on ebay for the first time this year... just sold an item for $580.... didn't realize how high the fees were... im walking away with a little under $480. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@robjac94832 wrote:

I've sold a few small items on ebay for the first time this year... just sold an item for $580.... didn't realize how high the fees were... im walking away with a little under $480. 

Forgot to add... im done with ebay

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@wvtooregon1960 

Why is it the way it is?  Because it is, per the user agreement, as described in Help, etc., etc.  It was the same deal with PayPal prior to Managed Payments.  There has been a rash of threads on this topic recently.  Maybe with the new 1099-K threshold people are actually examining expenses in detail to see what can be deducted.

Be advised that according to Help the 1099-K gross sales DOES NOT include sales tax that is collected and remitted by eBay.  Be sure not to double-deduct it.

@jayjaspersgarage

"Write your congressperson about this."

There's no law that can dictate how eBay calculates fees.  They state it, you agree to it.  If they did not charge a fee against sales tax (around 1% if gross sale price on average) then the final value would be bumped around 1%.  They have profit targets.  Pick one of the many, many 1099-K threads (again) to recommend contacting (again) your Congressman about a piece of passed legislation, though that cow has left the barn with the door slammed shut.  

Message 15 of 18
latest reply