this case with in 10 days

What happens next?

If you issue a refund to the buyer by 20 hours we’ll close this case,
allowing you to avoid a chargeback fee.
We’ll review this case and let you know about the next steps, if you
respond using other options.
If you fulfil the order, you’ll continue to be covered under PayPal Seller
Protection, based on eligibility."

So I logged into my paypal (not from any links in the email) and there is a dispute on this transaction. I went to the resolution center and it says "waiting on Seller's response." This hasn't happened before. What do I do, just refund? It's only a $10 transaction so no biggie if I have to refund.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

email from paypal-We’re reviewing a payment you received

Did you actually copy and paste the actual email in the body of your question? Because it's definitely not legit. There are quite a few misspelled words, incomplete sentences, and grammatical errors. "with in 10 days" should be "within 10 days." "If you issue a refund to the buyer by 20 hours we’ll close this case, allowing you to avoid a chargeback fee." One doesn't issue a refund "by 20 hours," but "within 20 hours." Also, "20 hours" is totally suspect. Also, I don't think Paypal has a chargeback fee. And they wouldn't request that you refund a payment that they suspect is fraudulent. I suggest not doing anything to your paypal account right now, not even logging on, because it sounds like its been hacked in some way. I'd give paypal's fraud dept a call immediately.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yes I c&p the email. I noticed the spelling errors also. But when I go to my paypal account (not from any links) it looks normal and that transaction is there, when I click on it  there is the print shipping label link but below there is "There is an open dispute associated with this transaction. Visit the resolution center to view status" and when I go to that it says " Resolution Center-Case Reversal Details...we are temporally unable to determine the status of your case

What is paypal's fraud #? This whole thing is odd.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I agree, it's puzzling, but I wouldn't trust that email one bit. Paypal's phone number is 1-888-221-1161. They guard it like Fort Knox, lol. Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I called, no ones there until the morning. Ugh, I'll have to call before I go to work.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Since you can see it in your resolution center on PP when you go to your account, it's legit.  It would not be there if this was some kind of a hoax or scam.

PP does randomly run security checks all the time.  Over the years I've had several.  But on a random security check the email is a little different and the money has always been released in less than 24 hours.  And it doesn't appear in the resolution center unless they changed the format since the last time I had one.

Now this email you got is poorly worded so it certainly is going to be a bit confusing.  First PP does not open a case.  A buyer does.  

OK, so you just need to do as they instructed you to do in the email.  Respond to the case in the resolution center.  They are talking about a chargeback fee which is another key word that tells you that PP did NOT open a case, the buyer did directly with their CCC [credit card company].  

When I get these, the first thing I do is go and look at the tracking.  If my tracking shows delivered, then the next thing I verify is that I shipped to the address that appeared on the PP payment notification.  I will also check to see if this buyer has left me FB on the transaction.  Then finally I will go to the buyer's FB and look at their FB left for others.  That can often give you good information about a buyer and can even show that they do this to other sellers too in order to get free products.

Armed with that information I go to PP and log in all the information I have found.  Tracking number, that I verified I shipped to the correct address and within the appropriate amount of time for shipment.  And anything I find when reviewing FB.

Then I wait a few hours or the next day if it is late in the afternoon or evening when I enter all the stuff.  Then I call PP.  I talk to someone and I go over all the stuff I found and put into the resolution center.  I ask them if there is anything else they need.  And finally I remind the that I complied with ALL the rules to be covered by Seller Protection.  Very important to remind them of that.

You can keep all of this under 20 hours so that in a worse case basis you can refund the buyer to avoid that charge.  However just one more thing to consider.  What I've described here I have been doing since the day PP came to Ebay.  To date I've NEVER lost a chargeback.  Not one.  Knock on wood!!!  LOL

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.  I hope you will come back and tell us what you decided to do and how everything turned out.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 6
latest reply