cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay's Ranking Algorithms Are A Joke!

As part of ebay Open 2022, director of product management & search, Pravesh Katyal, explains how ebay is further punishing sellers ability to rank based on aspects that remain completely outside of their control.

Katyal explains the more SNAD and INR claims you receive, the lower you will rank.

Too bad sellers have no control over the garbage estimated delivery dates ebay gives to buyers. ebay ignores sellers shipping policies, including handling times, and ebay is the one who decides what the estimates are.

What Katyal is saying is the more buyers who lie about the reasons for their returns, and open cases for INR's as a result of ebay's incompetence, the lower sellers will rank as a result.

I have been hammered with constant item not received claims this entire year! All orders were shipped within my stated handling time, all were received by buyers.

How are we supposed to avoid INR's when we haven't an ounce of control over what the delivery estimates are?

And let's face it, buyers are rarely ever honest about the reasons for their returns.

So this explains why my store has been trashed in search this year and I'm getting practically zero traffic. All those INR's have destroyed my business, and at no fault of my own. I've tried extending my handling times, ebay just ignores it.

Remember sellers, ebay says its your fault ebay lied to your buyers with junk delivery estimates.

ebay-ranking.png

Here's the video where Katyal explains how ebay is further trashing its sellers:

Fundamental Training Session: How to Make Search and Promoted Listings Work for You 

Message 1 of 117
latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

Re: ebay's Ranking Algorithms Are A Joke!

@katzrul15   I don't disagree that it's annoying.  The reason we have 2 or 3 days is precisely for those times when there's a reason we can't ship right away, snowstorm, carrier didn't bother doing the pickup, etc.  I also ship same or next day & it's like we're being penalized for provided excellent service.  If I was coding it, it would absolutely take handling time into effect, but they didn't ask me to code it for the. 

@gamersbaystore  was just trying to help.  I don't understand why doing 10 day doesn't fix it for you.  At 5 days (or 4, can't remember which, but I think it's 5), you get the gold flag & blurb that your shipping make take awhile & the estimates are altered to actually take the handling time into account.   It's easy to test out. 

That said, I haven't had any of the problems you have.  My pkgs almost all arrive in 2 days, a couple take 3 & my estimates are just fine.  Even my occasional MM shipments typically arrive in under a week.  Whenever I've tested the 5+ days, I've always gotten the blurb & flag.  IDK why that wouldn't be working for you.  Try changing 1 to 10 days & let us see what it looks like on our end?  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 46 of 117
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

As part of ebay Open 2022, director of product management & search, Pravesh Katyal, explains how ebay is further punishing sellers ability to rank based on aspects that remain completely outside of their control.

Katyal explains the more SNAD and INR claims you receive, the lower you will rank.

Too bad sellers have no control over the garbage estimated delivery dates ebay gives to buyers. ebay ignores sellers shipping policies, including handling times, and ebay is the one who decides what the estimates are.

What Katyal is saying is the more buyers who lie about the reasons for their returns, and open cases for INR's as a result of ebay's incompetence, the lower sellers will rank as a result.

I have been hammered with constant item not received claims this entire year! All orders were shipped within my stated handling time, all were received by buyers.

How are we supposed to avoid INR's when we haven't an ounce of control over what the delivery estimates are?

And let's face it, buyers are rarely ever honest about the reasons for their returns.

So this explains why my store has been trashed in search this year and I'm getting practically zero traffic. All those INR's have destroyed my business, and at no fault of my own. I've tried extending my handling times, ebay just ignores it.

Remember sellers, ebay says its your fault ebay lied to your buyers with junk delivery estimates.

ebay-ranking.png

Here's the video where Katyal explains how ebay is further trashing its sellers:

Fundamental Training Session: How to Make Search and Promoted Listings Work for You 

Hi @gamersbaystore

Thanks for sharing your concerns here. 

We would like to call out there are three parts to the problem you have raised:

1. Whether eBay should hold sellers accountable for timely delivery or not. 
  2. Whether eBay should do a better job in taking into consideration seller's challenges with shipping estimates
  3. Whether eBay should penalize the sellers based on off cases from fraud buyers trying to game the system.

Please allow us to respond to all three of these separately.

1. Timely delivery is something that our buyers expect, and when we miss the timelines it leads to a bad experience for our buyers, at the same time it's unfair to the sellers who go that extra mile to provide on time delivery. Its a retail standard that our buyers expect everywhere they shop. As a seller, I am sure, even you don’t want to make your customers wait longer than expected.
  2. Shipping estimates are calculated based on a number of factors, while at a sitewide level, we do a good job in setting the right expectations with our users, there are pockets where we can optimize further by providing the right tools for sellers to help us provide more realistic estimates for our buyers.
  3. Ranking doesn’t get impacted by these one-off used cases, unless a significant portion of buyers complain that they don’t get the item on time, we don’t hold it against the seller.

Our recommendation will be to increase your handling time for the listings that may take longer to deliver.

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 47 of 117
latest reply

Oh ebay is totally doing a rinse and repeat of Sears all over again! Sears execs pilfered the company so badly there wasn't enough money to pay any of their operational expenses, so they were forced to close for good.

ebay is doing the exact same thing, handing out over a billion dollars to their shareholder friends and family virtually every quarter, while cutting marketing budgets and raising fees, all while the platform falls apart.

Message 48 of 117
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Oh ebay is totally doing a rinse and repeat of Sears all over again! Sears execs pilfered the company so badly there wasn't enough money to pay any of their operational expenses, so they were forced to close for good.

ebay is doing the exact same thing, handing out over a billion dollars to their shareholder friends and family virtually every quarter, while cutting marketing budgets and raising fees, all while the platform falls apart.

@gamersbaystore   How exactly do you know all of this?  Just curious ... 

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 49 of 117
latest reply

@vintage_sterling_spoon_rings , @katzrul15 

It is abundantly clear that the issue with sales being off on eBay is because of eBay.  I "think" they may be improving the algorithms as September set new all-time highs for sold items and dollars compared to all previous Septembers ... however, the four (4) previous months (yep going back to MAY) were horrible.  So I am still in recovery mode here ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 50 of 117
latest reply

My argument here is about ebay ignoring shipping policies and not providing buyers with accurate estimated delivery dates; not whether or not ebay should hold sellers accountable for timely delivery. I thought our obligation was to ship within our handling time, correct?

Your recommendations of increasing handling time do NOT work. ebay ignores them.

I have a 3 day handling time right now and ebay is telling buyers they will receive their items in 3 or 4 days. Where is the logic in that?

Here's proof below from a recent transaction.

Had I shipped that order on the 3rd day, it would've never arrived on time, I would've been hit with an INR and forced to refund the buyer.

handling-time.png

Message 51 of 117
latest reply

Its public knowledge that ebay paid out $1.4 billion to shareholders in the first quarter alone; and all while raising fees and cutting slashing marketing budgets, all while sales declined.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-inc-reports-better-than-expected-first-quarter-2022-result...

ebay's market share fell from 5% in Jan to 3.5% in June, and continues falling. Rather than invest in marketing, ebay just squanders all the money to shareholders.

Message 52 of 117
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

That said, I haven't had any of the problems you have.  My pkgs almost all arrive in 2 days, a couple take 3 & my estimates are just fine.  Even my occasional MM shipments typically arrive in under a week.  Whenever I've tested the 5+ days, I've always gotten the blurb & flag.  IDK why that wouldn't be working for you.  Try changing 1 to 10 days & let us see what it looks like on our end?  

Same here. In fact, a lot of the time mine are delivered a day or two ahead of the estimated delivery date. I did note that the estimated delivery dates on the ones I shipped yesterday all updated once they'd received a scan at the local sort center, but even then those delivery dates all appear to be on track-- the two that are estimated to be delivered tomorrow have already received scans at their destination sort centers this evening, meaning they should be out for delivery tomorrow.

Message 53 of 117
latest reply

If I extend my handling times, the flag does show up, but the estimates don't change anymore. It used to be that when I extended the handling time it would extend the delivery estimates as well.

In the past, whenever the postal service was having a meltdown, I would extend my handling to help mitigate the effects of late deliveries.

I don't understand why ebay can't fix such a simple problem. Just honor our shipping policies.

Message 54 of 117
latest reply

Iv been wondering what kind of defective thinking would stamp shipping time  guarantees on something that is only estimated by carrier doing the actual work..

I would definitely red card that production line.

Message 55 of 117
latest reply

You don't state when you print out the shipping labels.

The estimated delivery time starts from the moment you print the labels, and then it is supposed to adjust once the first scan happens with the postal service.

Have you tried printing the labels just prior to shipping a package? 

Message 56 of 117
latest reply

@earthdreamer wrote:

The estimated delivery time starts from the moment you print the labels, and then it is supposed to adjust once the first scan happens with the postal service.

@mr_lincoln @gamersbaystore @yuzuha  

What happens if you pick Thursday as the ship date and ship it on Tuesday (2 days early)? Media Mail.

Posting ID
Message 57 of 117
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@earthdreamer wrote:

@mr_lincoln @gamersbaystore @yuzuha  

What happens if you pick Thursday as the ship date and ship it on Tuesday (2 days early)? Media Mail.

@lakefor94   Good question, I believe USPS will update their estimate once they start scanning the package but I am not sure how that equates to eBay's record.   I used to offer BOTH Parcel Select (2-9 days) and Priority Mail (1-3 days) and most Buyers would pick Parcel select because it was cheaper, but I would ship Priority ... I would get a lot of Feedback stating it arrived early ... so at the time they may not have been updating and reducing the delivery times for the faster  shipping method.

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 58 of 117
latest reply

Wrong. the estimated delivery date is provided to buyers at checkout. If you view the order details for any transaction it literally states "Estimated delivery date shown to buyer."

The estimates are provided to buyers before you ever print a label.

Every time I get a new order it shows the estimate before I ever purchase a label.

Message 59 of 117
latest reply

The estimates are provided to buyers before you ever print a label.

Yes, that is right, but those estimates are first locked in when you print a label, and again adjusted once the parcel receives the first scan.

I noticed the difference in estimates when I supplied my own tracking to when I used ebay's label tracking. 

The estimates with my own tracking supplied were quite generous, whereas when I was printing out the labels a day or two in advance of actual posting, they were too tight for comfort. 

I did contact CS about that, and was told the estimate dates will adjust once the item is scanned.

However, as I noted earlier in the thread, the buyer usually has an expectation that the dates in the original listing are correct, but if they go to the trouble to check the tracking and the listing, they will see that the dates have changed. 

Message 60 of 117
latest reply