cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay listened to us! FINALLY! Offers now tell us if buyer used Promoted Listing Standard

Some of us have been asking for this feature for a long time---looks like ebay finally got the message. I received an offer on an item and at the bottom of the note was this:

Screenshot (14).png

I have no idea why the note says "you ad rate may be applied if this offer is accepted" as I can't think of any scenario where it wouldn't be applied, but I'm not going to quibble....

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: ebay listened to us! FINALLY! Offers now tell us if buyer used Promoted Listing Standard

I also send out offers, so what you are asking for is something I am on board with. But I also realize that it is probably more complicated. My offer might be going to , oh, seven different buyers, some of whom saw my PL, some didn't, and some saw at one rate and some at another. But my offer goes to all seven, I can't say: this buyer gets this offer, and this buyer gets this other offer....

So, while maybe ebay will do something eventually, I can see why they would roll this out first....

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Re: ebay listened to us! FINALLY! Offers now tell us if buyer used Promoted Listing Standard

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

But for those of us who use PL Standard & make offers daily (usually many times a day), we have wanted this & asked for this too, from the initial rollout.

If you go to active listings and click on an item/make offer.....

Screenshot (241).png

It shows you what the promoted rate is.........  I believe you do have to customize the page to show that column..........

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

But for those of us who use PL Standard & make offers daily (usually many times a day), we have wanted this & asked for this too, from the initial rollout.

Screenshot (241).png

It shows you what the promoted rate is.........  I believe you do have to customize the page to show that column..........

@dhbookds 

I don't have that column, so I don't see that (I know how to add the column), but that's not what I mean, as I think that's just showing the rate you have it promoted at, right?  

What's been asked for from the beginning is to know if the eligible buyer I'm about to send the Offer to, got to the status via a PL or not.    In other words, if the eligible buyer accepts the SEND OFFER, will the PL fee apply?   

It's the same thing as what OP posted in her original post, the little blurb telling us that the potential buyer engaged with the ad & that we'll be charged a PL fee, BEFORE we send out the offer.   That way, we can adjust how much we offer if we know the fee will apply or help us know if we should even make the offer to begin with.   Does that clarify?  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel
eBay Community Mentor
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

I've heard back on this @valueaddedresource - 

We are currently testing a new feature within the Manage Offers page. A small selection of sellers will now see a message indicating whether or not a Promoted Listings Standard ad led to this Best Offer, as well as the ad rate applied. We hope this will provide better clarity for sellers when accepting Best Offers.

We will be rolling out this feature to all eBay sellers in the coming weeks.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 34
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Thanks for updating, that's great news, but what about the other part of the question...will it be offered soon or at least tested soon for SEND OFFERS?  For those of us who don't have BO on our listings & only use SEND OFFERS.  We've been asking for it since the inception of PL's, as well 🙂

eBay Community Mentor
Message 20 of 34
latest reply

tyler@ebay  Just want to add my thanks. That's good news. I hope ebay posts an announcement about this soon.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Thanks for updating, that's great news, but what about the other part of the question...will it be offered soon or at least tested soon for SEND OFFERS?  For those of us who don't have BO on our listings & only use SEND OFFERS.  We've been asking for it since the inception of PL's, as well 🙂

Hi @simply-the-best-for-you - there's no additional information I have to provide on that at this point in time, sorry. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Hi @simply-the-best-for-you - there's no additional information I have to provide on that at this point in time, sorry. 

tyler@ebay 

Bummer, but thanks for replying, so we know you saw it.  Hopefully, you can pass along to the powers that be, that sellers have been asking for it on the SEND OFFERS forever too or at least  since the inception of PL's ;-).   Now that the coding was obviously done, hopefully the functionality can be easily retrofitted into SEND OFFERS, as well.   Thanks again! 

eBay Community Mentor
Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

Screenshot (241).png

@dhbookds 

I don't have that column, so I don't see that (I know how to add the column), but that's not what I mean, as I think that's just showing the rate you have it promoted at, right?  

What's been asked for from the beginning is to know if the eligible buyer I'm about to send the Offer to, got to the status via a PL or not.    In other words, if the eligible buyer accepts the SEND OFFER, will the PL fee apply?   

It's the same thing as what OP posted in her original post, the little blurb telling us that the potential buyer engaged with the ad & that we'll be charged a PL fee, BEFORE we send out the offer.   That way, we can adjust how much we offer if we know the fee will apply or help us know if we should even make the offer to begin with.   Does that clarify?  

Yes, it does clarify........as does Cottage's answer about how complicated it might be with different buyers/different promos, etc.

I'm just "simple" (lol, more ways than one).......I see the promo shown and I automatically assume I'm going to have to pay it......so use that in my calculation.  If it's not charged a PL, bonus for me. 

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

Screenshot (241).png

@dhbookds 

Yes, it does clarify........as does Cottage's answer about how complicated it might be with different buyers/different promos, etc.

I'm just "simple" (lol, more ways than one).......I see the promo shown and I automatically assume I'm going to have to pay it......so use that in my calculation.  If it's not charged a PL, bonus for me. 

I was in IT software development, so I do know how easy or difficult this is.   Since they have now developed the code, it shouldn't be hard to retrofit it to the SEND OFFERS section.   It isn't any more complicated than what they've already done.  They just need to use the same info as to whether the watchee 'engaged' with the listing via PL's or not.   Pretty simple really.  

My PL's to non-PL's sales runs about 60/40, so it's a toss up whether I'll have to pay the extra fee or not.  That's why it would be helpful to know ahead of sending the offer, so I know whether there are 'double dips' of discounts involved.   Like I said though, I'm glad they did the development & are testing it on Best Offers.   I just hope they'll put the technology into Send Offers, as well.  

eBay Community Mentor
Message 25 of 34
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

Screenshot (241).png

@dhbookds 

@dhbookds  @simply-the-best-for-you  I actually had some discussion about this exact topic very high up within the chain of command at eBay about a year ago.  At the time they said they were working on adding visibility for PL to Offers, but there were technical challenges regarding attribution, with something like ~5% of Promoted Listings attribution not done "real time" and taking up to 3 days.

I don't have any insight into if/how those attribution issues may have been resolved, but I can definitely understand how solving for multiple seller initiated offers could be much more complex than a single buyer initiated offer, especially when you look at the varying criteria that may be used to designate an "interested buyer" for seller initiated offers.

Your offers get sent to interested buyers who satisfy a number of conditions, including:

• They haven't received an offer from you for the same listing previously
  • They haven't purchased the same item from you previously
  • They're watching your item
  • They've had the item in their shopping cart for a period of time
  • They've viewed your listing multiple times
  • They're a buyer in good standing on eBay
Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

Screenshot (241).png

@dhbookds 

@dhbookds  @simply-the-best-for-you  I actually had some discussion about this exact topic very high up within the chain of command at eBay about a year ago.  At the time they said they were working on adding visibility for PL to Offers, but there were technical challenges regarding attribution, with something like ~5% of Promoted Listings attribution not done "real time" and taking up to 3 days.

I don't have any insight into if/how those attribution issues may have been resolved, but I can definitely understand how solving for multiple seller initiated offers could be much more complex than a single buyer initiated offer, especially when you look at the varying criteria that may be used to designate an "interested buyer" for seller initiated offers.

Your offers get sent to interested buyers who satisfy a number of conditions, including:

Thank you for that info.  I don't really know what they mean by attribution not done in real time.  Obviously, I don't have access to their code, but it wouldn't be any more complex just b/c there are a number of conditions to satisfy.   Here's why...by the time you are at point of sending the offer, all those applicable conditions have already been satisfied (or you wouldn't be able to send the offer).   So it's still just one offer, to one user.   The determination have already been made as to whether it's legit for you to send them an offer.  That code already exists.  The only difference really is WHO is sending the offer, the buyer or the seller. 

At it's core, it's still just ONE offer transaction to a specific user.  No different than than if it's initiated from BO's.  It's ONE offer to ONE user, either way.  The only relevant info is how that user accessed the item (PL or organic), which they've obviously already figured out.   

Again, I don't have access to their code, but from a design standpoint, if they've figured it out for one scenario, it should be able to be applied relatively easily to the other scenario b/c they are not markedly different.   Of course I don't understand what they mean about 5% of attributions not being done in real time.   I wonder if that means that it took up to 3 days to know if it a purchase came from a PL or not?  If so, I would think that would have been resolved a long time ago.  

eBay Community Mentor
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
I have no idea why the note says "you ad rate may be applied if this offer is accepted" as I can't think of any scenario where it wouldn't be applied, but I'm not going to quibble....

Theory 1:

Buyer views sponsored listing. On day 30 when the ad rate still applies, buyer sends offer. The day after that the ad rate has expired and the seller accepts the offer. For that scenario to be plausible, the system would need to look at the time the sale is confirmed, not the time the initial offer was made.

Theory 2:

eBay is running some sort of promo where ad fees are waived.

Both would be uncommon situations. If you're seeing the message, the assumption should be that the ad rate will be charged.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

I'm not understanding

Screenshot (241).png

@dhbookds 

Thank you for that info.  I don't really know what they mean by attribution not done in real time.  Obviously, I don't have access to their code, but it wouldn't be any more complex just b/c there are a number of conditions to satisfy.   Here's why...by the time you are at point of sending the offer, all those applicable conditions have already been satisfied (or you wouldn't be able to send the offer).   So it's still just one offer, to one user.   The determination have already been made as to whether it's legit for you to send them an offer.  That code already exists.  The only difference really is WHO is sending the offer, the buyer or the seller. 

At it's core, it's still just ONE offer transaction to a specific user.  No different than than if it's initiated from BO's.  It's ONE offer to ONE user, either way.  The only relevant info is how that user accessed the item (PL or organic), which they've obviously already figured out.   

Again, I don't have access to their code, but from a design standpoint, if they've figured it out for one scenario, it should be able to be applied relatively easily to the other scenario b/c they are not markedly different.   Of course I don't understand what they mean about 5% of attributions not being done in real time.   I wonder if that means that it took up to 3 days to know if it a purchase came from a PL or not?  If so, I would think that would have been resolved a long time ago.  

@simply-the-best-for-you  I don't disagree in general on your points, but it may be overly optimistic to assume eBay's coding always follows design best practices or the most logical course. 😉

As far as ad attribution, yes, that's exactly what it means - it could take up to 3 days to determine if a purchase came from a Promoted Listing so initially it may show as non-PL only to be revised post sale.

Again that was about a year ago and I was told those "offline attributions" (as opposed to real time) were only about 5% of attributed conversions at that time. That was specifically given as a technical challenge to showing PL info on offers.

I can't say for sure, but would imagine they have at least solved it to a high enough degree to move forward with this test, but I can also understand how that may make it prudent to run the test initially with the simpler buyer initiated offers to make sure everything works right.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

As far as ad attribution, yes, that's exactly what it means - it could take up to 3 days to determine if a purchase came from a Promoted Listing so initially it may show as non-PL only to be revised post sale.

I sometimes see ad fees charged at the time of sale and other times I see ad fees charged days later. It's a pretty regular occurrence for me to see delayed ad fee charges.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 30 of 34
latest reply