cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay International Shipping service (avoid)

So I ship 2 trading cards on 3/13 to the Czech Republic using ebay International Shipping.

The package goes from UPS to DHL eCommerce, who eventually suspends servicing to the Czech Republic due to COVID-19. So, the package is sitting in their Terminal until "further notice" and they are not doing any returns.

I've been in consistent communication with ebay and the buyer because, obviously, the buyer wants their item.

All ebay tells me is to keep in touch with the buyer and continue to monitor the tracking. Oh, and told me to tell the buyer not to open a case since the package is being held at the moment.

Well, buyer ends up opening a case. I provide all the details explaining the package is being held at the time because of suspended service due to COVID-19.

ebay ends up giving the buyer a full refund and I don't get credit back for the final value fees since it was resolved by ebay.

So, I'm out the cards and shipping costs, the buyer gets their money back and ebay profits on the sale. Oh, and when DHL eCommerce resumes service, the buyer will get the cards too.

I'm pretty sure ebay's support is all off-shore, and they  go off scripts, but **bleep** am I supposed to do in this situation? Items shipped same day, package is not lost and being held by carrier. (of whom ebay chooses when you select their International Shipping service)

It's not a ton of money I'm out, but I'm still **bleep** off at ebay for their lack of "real" attention to this matter.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: ebay International Shipping service (avoid)

Did eBay lead you in any way to believe that you would win such a case given the circumstances? I ask because one should never allow eBay to step in to decide the case. They almost universally choose the buyer's interests over the seller's. And to advise you to tell the buyer not to open a case is bad advice in my opinion. Rather than do that, it would be best not to even bring it up. You were already keeping in touch with the buyer and I assume you reassured them the item would reach them and could they be patient a little longer.

Since this was initially sent with UPS, I would have inquired about getting the package returned to sender. In fact, you should see if you can recall this package and do whatever can be done to see it doesn't get delivered when the mail starts to move again. I also thought that when the Global Shipping Program was used, that the seller was protected in case of non-delivery or other problem? I don't use the GSP, but you might look into what benefits they offer to sellers when a problem arises.

You can appeal eBay's decision, you have 30 days to do so. But I don't think it is a slam dunk. If eBay advised you they would be on your side if the buyer opened a case, and you can prove they did so, that might be compelling. Otherwise, I would wait until the last second to appeal to see if the package finally gets delivered if it cannot be recalled. Then you can request a courtesy refund at least if the tracking shows delivery. And/or get your Final Value Fees credited.

So sorry this situation happened to you. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If you had used ebay's  GSP (global shipping program) your responsibility ends when the package reaches ebay's hub in Kentucky.

Cannonball - Supertramp
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Did you use Global Shipping Service or the new eBay Standard International Delivery? The latter states $100 insurance, maybe the former has similar. I totally agree with you - there is no control with delivery time overseas, yet eBay acts like usual. With regular USPS shipping it is the same mess to and from Europe (looks like DHL planes fly to South Korea though)

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Correct me if I am wrong but I would think the fastest method to get a buyer to open a case is telling them not to?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Based on all the information I provided ebay, they led me to believe I was protected. Of course, I got a different customer support person for each message I had sent. I never communicated to the buyer to initiate an refund request, they did that on their own. And after a few days, they escalated the claim to ebay.

I tried contacting DHL on numerous occasions and never once got a response. I kept monitoring the tracking and one day, they had posted the following message on the details:

Greetings: To date the following countries (KY CL CZ DJ, EC, PF, HN, KW, LB, LY, MV, MR, MD, MN, ME, MA, MM, PE, PH, LK, SR, TN) are under suspended service until further notice. DHLeC will hold the packages that have been received in the terminals until the situation normalizes. We advise you to refrain from shipping packages to these countries during this time, no returns are available at the moment.

I don't use the Global Shipping Program because I don't (didn't) ship Internationally. I make a note of this in the details of my offerings, but the buyer bid, and won, 2 cards anyways. I contacted the buyer and let them know that I would make an exception this time since they won multiple items, but I would not responsible for any customs issues in or outside of the US. If they agreed, I would send them an invoice with the International Shipping charges. The buyer agreed, so I sent them an invoice, they paid, I shipped and the rest is what it is.

I chose ebay international shipping because ebay made it seem like it was an easier solution. They would handle all of the customs forms, etc..

I did file an appeal already and was given this:

We understand that the pandemic has been impacting several shipments and tracking services may not be available at this time, please know that in order for us to close the case in your favor, we must have a tracking number that shows the item is delivered to the buyer’s address or the buyer confirmed that he received the item via eBay messages within the estimated delivery date.

We do not want that you lose your sale on this so as soon as you have confirmed that the buyer received the item, I encourage you to send an invoice through PayPal as this is the best option to get your payment from the buyer.

Here's how to send an invoice through PayPal:

1. Log in to PayPal.

2. Select the "Request Money" tab.

3. Select "Create an Invoice."

4. On the "Create a new invoice" page, review your information, enter the buyer's information, and enter the item details.

5. Review the invoice carefully. If everything is correct, select "Send".

Once shipping service resumes, and the package is delivered, they are asking me to send the buyer an invoice through Paypal.

What are the odds that the buyer is honest enough to make the payment? Oh, and I'm sure ebay/paypal will profit again on this transaction

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I have tried the newest international shipping service 3 times.  The last 2, 1 to Canada and the other to Uzbekistan, with guaranteed tracking and full refund, NOT TRUE.  (have not heard from the 1st buyer, though they asked where the package was, since they could not track it), no tracking information was found on how to track, though using USPS the tracking number provided.  The tracking number does not correspond with anything the USPS offers in their tracking site.  Customers have not received item in over 6 weeks, and are wondering where their item is.  eBay suggested that the customer file a claim, which 1 has, and a full refund given to customer by eBay but no refund to seller in any way, not even FVF, NOTHING.  Not able to contact anyone in any method.  This service is a HOAX, DO NOT USE.  eBay does not support the service they recommend.  There is no method of tracking the package, not even within the U.S., the address on the packages were in the U.S., but not trackable, even though the packages were shipping outside of U.S.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Spoiler
and don't believe people here when they say communication will prevent buyers from opening a case. I have had plenty of times where I had friendly communication with the buyer then they filed a case because they felt they had to. Then they got their money back and item arrived at their address according to the tracking number. Ebay customers come from all walks of life.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply