cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay wants me to remove my logo from my images - NEVER!

So, eBay now wants us to remove our logo from my product images. The images we invested a lot of time and money in and which are therefore copyrighted, eBay now wants to offer our competitors to use for free. All in the name of clarity for eBay buyers.

How can they think we will/can agree to that? We won't. Our competitors would be lauging very hard when they can use our images. We will have our listings taken down the moment eBay starts enforcing that policy rule, and we will expand our webshop efforts. eBay has been pushing us too much lately, this is where we draw the line.

Any thoughts? Let me know. 

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

@mxdude! wrote:

So, eBay now wants us to remove our logo from my product images. The images we invested a lot of time and money in and which are therefore copyrighted, eBay now wants to offer our competitors to use for free. All in the name of clarity for eBay buyers.

How can they think we will/can agree to that? We won't. Our competitors would be lauging very hard when they can use our images. We will have our listings taken down the moment eBay starts enforcing that policy rule, and we will expand our webshop efforts. eBay has been pushing us too much lately, this is where we draw the line.

Any thoughts? Let me know. 

This is one you will not win. The photos belong to eBay to do as they please as per your user agreement. Now they want to use them without watermarks. March 1 2018 is the deadline so make plans.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 2 of 109
latest reply

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but what is the issue?

Stock photos non-inclusive, how does it benefit someone to use another sellers images to sell their own items?

Message 3 of 109
latest reply

As of March 2018 eBay will no longer allow watermarks in photos.

Weather eBay will open photos for anyone to use is not known but I think the purpose is so eBay can make catalogs with stock photos and variations to choose from when listings. These photos will come up as first photo in a new listing. It will be the listers choice to use the first photo or delete and add their own. This makes the original owner of the photo upset.

Just my opinion.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 4 of 109
latest reply

Any thoughts?

Certainly your choice

Message 5 of 109
latest reply

Another possible reason is that watermarks point to an easy search to an off ebay webste but ususally the eBay name does that also.

Message 6 of 109
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Stock photos non-inclusive, how does it benefit someone to use another sellers images to sell their own items?

Just for starters:

The person's problem may possibly be that, well, imagine that you take really, really good photos of your product(s).  Your product(s) are listed on ebay and all of a sudden EVERYBODY is using your photo(s) to sell their product(s) or their version of your product(s) because ebay has decided that they like YOUR photo(s) and YOUR PHOTO(S) are now the STOCK PHOTO(S).  All without your permission - or even a kiss.

I suppose that might make some happy: "We sold our product(s) using the great photos taken by 'this other person for their product(s)".

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 109
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I wonder how Tiffany will feel if Chinese sellers start having their knock-offs show up with 'stock photos' using Tiffany pieces?  Tiffany-style, Tiffany-inspired, etc.

Now, THAT would be 'Entertainment'!

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 109
latest reply

I guess my personal preferences are in the minority then because I simply will NOT buy any items that have stock photos only.

I want to see the exact condition and details of what I am buying.

Message 9 of 109
latest reply

However, having said that, when I sell video games I mostly use only stock photos because most people do not seem to care lol

The only thing condition wise of concern with what I sell is the game case or cover. 95% of the discs I sell are scratch free. But I usually detail any issue when there is one, (i.e., missing inserts, crumpled up cover art etc) and nobody has complained yet.

Message 10 of 109
latest reply

One last possibility and it relates to your (gracie) point.

Ebay wants to monetize the sold history more. They sell the sold history but I have never seen a watermarked photo on those sites, for example worthpoint and terapeak. 

Our photos are being used by these sites to sell information. They want them all. 

Maybe in the future the sold data will only be available through a subscription. 

Message 11 of 109
latest reply

mxdude! wrote:..........eBay now wants us to remove our logo from my product images..........All in the name of clarity for eBay buyers..........We won't..........we will expand our webshop efforts..........this is where we draw the line..........Any thoughts? Let me know. 

My thoughts?  I think YOUR business is YOUR business!  You get to run it in any way you want.  And that can be on eBay or on another site, or on your own site.

Ebay's business is eBay's business.  They get to decide how they want their business to look.  They can set policy in place that says NO watermarked photos in listings.  The sellers who use their platform here can adhere to that policy or move on to a site that fits them better.

We ALL get to shape our business and its LOOK.  We get to place our businesses into the e-commerce world at different sites, but when using somebody else's site, we give up some control of it.  That's part of the trade-off.  When we have our own site, we get to be in charge of how it will look, and that can include the use of watermarks.

YOUR decision as to how you want to handle this. 

Message 12 of 109
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

One last possibility and it relates to your (gracie) point.

Ebay wants to monetize the sold history more. They sell the sold history but I have never seen a watermarked photo on those sites, for example worthpoint and terapeak. 

Our photos are being used by these sites to sell information. They want them all. 

Maybe in the future the sold data will only be available through a subscription. 

They are already doing that.  They have been doing that for a long time now, AND, worthpoint IS subscription, if you want to know the price something went for.  I believe terapeak is, as well.

Message 13 of 109
latest reply

I think if you make money here, comply.
If you don't make money here, there's no point in staying.
Message 14 of 109
latest reply

Correct, we won't win. eBay makes the rules in this; we have made the decision to quit due to this. 

Message 15 of 109
latest reply