cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay sanctioned listing sabotage through incorrect forced item specifics

I don't get what is wrong with the people at eBay.  Either they don't put any thought into what they do, or their devs are just plain clueless.  Their latest malicious behaviors are putting incorrect Item Specifics (IS) in listings.  I find it fascinating on how it says "Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing." then the system adds the "About this product" portion that I can't remove or edit.  I have found multiple listings of my own, and of items I am buying with completely wrong IS in the forced "About this product" section.

Granted the general sentiment is people don't read listings.  Especially when it comes to the mobile app since eBay goes out of their way to hide the descriptions.  I find it quite ridiculous that us sellers are gonna take the financial hit when these forced IS bite us in the rear.

Also before eBay staff tells me how to report this stuff I have one thing to say.  No, I am not your slave, and I am not getting paid to maintain your site.  Your US based company may be fine with exploiting cheap overseas labor, but I'm not going to be exploited too. If you can't run your own site then sell it to someone who can!

Examples:

gwzcomps_0-1637643775151.png

gwzcomps_1-1637643960153.png

gwzcomps_3-1637644353383.png

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seems eBay staff and support were too clueless to figure out what was going on till recently.  It was a technical issue it seems.  Typical of eBay.  Hopefully sellers didn't lose any money to yet another damaging blunder courtesy of eBay.

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-incorrect-catalog-data/

View Best Answer in original post

Message 34 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

The IS upgrades have caused a lot of problems with both buyers and sellers it seems.

eBay staff rarely read here unless you tag them, but even then you will likely get a C&P standard reply on how this is being implemented to help us.

I wish they would stop trying to help us LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

True staff aren't regularly here.  I have brought up similar issues in the community chat and the staff are always dismissive about them and expect me to fix eBay's blunders though.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

True staff aren't regularly here. 

LOL! As a tried-and-true member of the Community since 2007, I imagine you're more familiar with all the ins and outs of this forum than someone who registered this year. 😁

Have you tried buying lately? The search has been rendered all but useless based on these new "Item Specifics." If I get an email with a result from one of my old "saved searches," I might take a look at something. Otherwise, I'm not even checking eBay for something I'm looking to buy.

Other than sharing the frustration about the new and improved "Item Specifics," how the heck are you? 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

LOL! As a tried-and-true member of the Community since 2007, I imagine you're more familiar with all the ins and outs of this forum than someone who registered this year. 😁

Have you tried buying lately? The search has been rendered all but useless based on these new "Item Specifics." If I get an email with a result from one of my old "saved searches," I might take a look at something. Otherwise, I'm not even checking eBay for something I'm looking to buy.

Other than sharing the frustration about the new and improved "Item Specifics," how the heck are you? 

Yeah eBay's search algorithms keep getting worse.  Stuff like this probably doesn't help 💩  Honestly I buy more on Facebook Marketplace anymore.  Their search algorithm is almost as bad.  The difference is they are smart enough to understand what I want to buy and feed it to me.

Nothing too exciting going on here.  I think this is the first month this year eBay has been nice enough to let me sell stuff.  Otherwise I'm just hoping we can avoid snow and ice other than maybe a short burst this year.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

If you stunble into their catalog by entering a UPC or ISBN, you get their mashup of product information.  Many times the details are wrong. When I list books, I never put the ISBN in that upper spot. I put it in item specifics and my description.  I refuse to participate in their catalog.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@winterpalace25 wrote:

If you stunble into their catalog by entering a UPC or ISBN, you get their mashup of product information.  Many times the details are wrong. When I list books, I never put the ISBN in that upper spot. I put it in item specifics and my description.  I refuse to participate in their catalog.

@winterpalace25It is worth noting eBay is pulling from the IS now to supply that extra information that can't be edited.  I don't put in UPC unless the item is new, but then I usually uncheck the box for the eBay supplied info.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

I would like ebay to explain how this item specific helps a buyer find their Chinese collectibles??

103_1900.jpg

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

I assume you are referring to me, although not sure why registering this year on the US boards would cause a problem to any long time forum members.

If it does, please let me know. Not my intention to upset anyone here...................

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety 

Oh my goodness that is hysterical!!!  

(there needed to be a warning on that one.......😂  (my sprite just escaped......lol)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@magicjohnsonsvariety 

Oh my goodness that is hysterical!!!  

(there needed to be a warning on that one.......😂  (my sprite just escaped......lol)

I hope that sprite is decaffeinated at this hour of the evening. lol

My wireless keyboard causes typos like that all the time...it has bad days and good days.   

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Makes me wonder what kind of people eBay hires to design this stuff.  I guess what can we expect at slave wages though?

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety 

I think Sprite is always caffeine free (hope so!) - that is why I drink Sprite sometimes vs other sodas.  If not, it could explain some other things.  LOL

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Well for funsies decided to get confirmation in the weekly chat.  Despite the fees we pay as sellers eBay takes no accountability for their site issues.  If we want eBay's forced IS be correct they expect us to be their unpaid slaves and fix their problems.

gwzcomps_0-1637819992279.png

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@gwzcomps 

Not surprised.   Bummer, but not surprised.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 15 of 36
latest reply