cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's seller glitches putting our account at risk and eBay will not take responsibility and assist!

To start off, I'd like to reference a past post of mine - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Caution-all-sellers-Check-your-service-metrics-Confirmed-eBay-... - In Feb we encountered a glitch where we were improperly given the Item Not Received - Service Metric penalty.  As you could clearly see in the screenshot, we were below 1% and therefore not eligible for it. But as confirmed by eBay, we DID receive that penalty from Feb 1 to Mar 1. In the above example, eBay took no responsibility for the issue, and offered no resolution. They recognized it on their end as a penalty we didn't deserve, but said there's "no way to fix it" and basically to just wait it out until March 1st. 

For the record, you can see the huge difference it made in our sales, amounting to tens of thousands of dollars. EBay offered no re-compensation for our losses, of course. 

Recent issues:

After that penalty finally expired, we began experiencing a new issue: Our handling time was being ignored, and all of our listings were being counted as 1 day handling time!

Here are some screenshots as an example: 

HandlingTime2.png

HandlingTime1.png

As you could see above, our items were set to 10 day handling time, yet the customers were shown that it arrives in 4 days!  Meaning it's counted as 1 day handling time, and 3 day shipping time!

This obviously caused many unhappy customers, as their side of eBay shows it's arriving in 4 days, when that's not even 50% of our handling time! And then we have to explain to them that it's an eBay glitch, while they have no reason to believe us as they can see nothing on eBay to indicate this. This hurts our reputation as a seller. 

Then the problem gets worse, when 4 days pass and they open an Item Not Received case! For an item that hasn't even reached handling time yet!

I spoke to eBay at the time, first on the morning of March 18th, and they promised us that they would protect us, and would not hold us to anything that we did not have in our listings. I had mentioned to them that they usually don't help with service metrics. They had said to me while they typically do not, and that's basically what they communicate to customers by default, but in rare cases they will make exceptions when it's due to a site error.

But since then, it has been attempt after attempt, they keep saying they'll be removing them, and then they are NOT removed.

On May 11th, I spoke to someone in Escalations (and I have the SR# still) who said they will assist, and I went through dozens of cases with her. She did her best to be helpful, but it turns out they're STILL not removed.

This issue is confirmed by our last months Service Metric report (I edited to remove any personal information):

INR_ServiceMetric.png

This report shows exactly what I've been describing. You can see it's CONFIRMED 10 or 15 day handling time. And eBay is allowing those INR cases to be opened against us before it has reached that handling time! This is not supposed to be allowed in the functionality of the eBay site!

We have evidence in eBay's own reports of this issue we're facing. Yet all of those marked in yellow are STILL being held against us. 

This includes only the cases from the March and April review. 

Since the review is in 5 days, I went through May to see what is about to be on the May review, and there's 22 more cases like this

So I called eBay regarding this today, to follow up on the removal we discussed last month. As with all these new cases combined with the old ones, it's very likely we'll be high enough to get hit with the INR Service Metric penalty. 

EBay CS had said today that same old message that they "can not remove Service Metrics" and that they can only try to contact the IT team to remove it. But she also expressed that they typically do so when the issue is resolved, and she can't find any tickets stating that the issue was resolved?

For us, this issue resolved sometime around the beginning of the month. We're still left with all these cases against us though, what are we supposed to do at this point? Why were these service metrics not removed when the issue was resolved?!

There's no reason we should be at risk for a penalty for a glitch that was on eBay's side, where there's multiple SR#'s of CS representatives that saw the issue with their own eyes, and there's eBay's reports confirming this issue!

Where are we supposed to go to for help?

We know from February that this penalty is so severe that it leads to tens of thousands of dollars in losses. And Service Metrics stay on your record for 3 months... So should we have to face 3 months of penalties, amounting to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses, because of a glitch on eBay's side?!

This is an issue eBay should be taking responsibility for. It has made so much extra work for us, we had to put in efforts to support customers who were upset about this issue every single day, we had to send messages to the customers who faced this, offer them a chance to cancel if they would like, we had to go through every single one of these INR cases and organize our notes, and then deal with eBay constantly for attempts to resolve this issue, and the issue still isn't resolved! Shouldn't eBay be the ones to be putting in all the work to fix the problem that they have created!? 

Why on earth is our account at risk for an issue that should be eBays responsibility? And why are they not willing to protect us, as promised on the morning of March 18th, as well as again on May 11th. I have the SR#'s of eBay confirming everything I've said. How to I get in contact with anyone who is willing to help?

Or are we just expected to take these losses when it's a problem that has been confirmed to not be any fault of our own?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

eBay's seller glitches putting our account at risk and eBay will not take responsibility and assist!

This is concerning..

If you are available this would be a very good topic to bring up at the chat tomorrow..

It's an open topic discussion and this needs to be addressed. It looks like you have done the research.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Community-Chat-06-16-2021-1-00-pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/319700... 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Wow,

well said. 53K positive feedback 99.7.+..jeeze, I am afraid if they will not help you I am sunk.

Good luck to you.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay  - can you get this escalated to the proper team please?

What would you suggest a seller do in a situation like this where standard support options have failed?

I understand it may take some time for the IT team to resolve the larger technical issues in play, but this is a time sensitive, business impacting issue - there has to be something that can be done to protect a long time seller's reputation and business.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I clicked on the View Listings link and see most of your listings say 

Guaranteed by Monday June 21.

I don't see anything in the listings that say you have a 10 day handling. Only Free 4 Day Shipping.

Is it possible *just searching for a quick fix here* to change your Free Shipping to something like, say, 25 cents which would then possibly take into account your 10 day handling time ? I mean, in essence, you're still giving somewhat free shipping. Because I think, and it's just a thought, that it's the FREE Shipping that's causing the mess. 

I know you have over 7,000 listings but it's worth a shot, I think.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

I don't see anything in the listings that say you have a 10 day handling. Only Free 4 Day Shipping.

Is it possible *just searching for a quick fix here* to change your Free Shipping to something like, say, 25 cents which would then possibly take into account your 10 day handling time ? I mean, in essence, you're still giving somewhat free shipping. Because I think, and it's just a thought, that it's the FREE Shipping that's causing the mess. 

@gwens*4saleitems*  that's not a bad suggestion for a temporary fix going forward, but unfortunately "free shipping" isn't just something buyers look at where $0.25 may not make much of a difference.  It's also something eBay's algorithms look at and not offering free shipping may have other negative consequences as far as search placement and sales.

You're absolutely right that may be the lesser of evils at this point, but it's disappointing that sellers have to think that way. 🙁

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

This is probably when you sue them for breach of contract, for millions of dollars in damages.   Only then do they wake up and notice the problem. 

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - can you get this escalated to the proper team please?

What would you suggest a seller do in a situation like this where standard support options have failed?

I understand it may take some time for the IT team to resolve the larger technical issues in play, but this is a time sensitive, business impacting issue - there has to be something that can be done to protect a long time seller's reputation and business.

When we incorrectly got the INR penalty in February, they didn't assist us then either. Our metric page directly stated adjusted due to being under 1%, yet we still received the penalty, and they did nothing to help.

I don't know why they don't assist in cases like this when their system is clearly at fault. It simply isn't acceptable for them to have "no solution".

Assuming there is no solution, shouldn't there be some form of compensation for the monetary damages caused?

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

It was a specific category of our items, if you look up our "Hasport" category in our store, you'll see the longer handling time.

The problem is until this month, even though we had 10-15 day handling time, it STILL showed "4 day shipping".

"Because I think, and it's just a thought, that it's the FREE Shipping that's causing the mess. "

Luckily the issue resolved itself at the beginning of this month.

Sadly now, we're stuck dealing with the damages caused by the issue.

Regarding "Free Shipping" causing the mess, it could be. I wouldn't be surprised, because another issue I noticed, if we tried to do one of the discount promotions and set it to a "Free Shipping" promotion, we did so on 1000 of our listings, and all 1000  listings were turned in to LOCAL PICKUP ONLY! 

We had to manually fix the shipping methods for all these items, which took a lot of wasted time.

So there's definitely something fishy about Free Shipping going on.

But again, the handling time issue is fixed now. At this point, it's about all the defects that we received from that issue that eBay said would be removed. They stated they wouldn't hold us responsible for anything that wasn't in our listings.

It's turning out that isn't true...

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

This is such a bad situation and I'm going to assume the root cause has to do with eBay completely ignoring handling times and looking at historical shipping time. Your screenshot shows that many items have 10-15 day handling, but other items have 1 day handling. I've seen similar issues on my account but on a much, much smaller scale.

97% of my listings offer 1 day handling, while 3% have an extended handling time because the inventory takes more time to ship. eBay completely ignores the handling time on that 3% because "historically" I ship the majority of my inventory within 1 day. I've gotten into the habit of messaging buyers that purchase from those 3% listings to set their expectations that the ETA provided by eBay may not be realistic. Since it's such a small amount of listings impacted I can handle that- though I shouldn't have to do it in the first place. On your scale I don't see that being feasible so I wouldn't even suggest it.

If eBay didn't ignore the actual handling time on our listings then you wouldn't be facing these extreme consequences. 🙁

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

This is such a bad situation and I'm going to assume the root cause has to do with eBay completely ignoring handling times and looking at historical shipping time. Your screenshot shows that many items have 10-15 day handling, but other items have 1 day handling. I've seen similar issues on my account but on a much, much smaller scale.

97% of my listings offer 1 day handling, while 3% have an extended handling time because the inventory takes more time to ship. eBay completely ignores the handling time on that 3% because "historically" I ship the majority of my inventory within 1 day. I've gotten into the habit of messaging buyers that purchase from those 3% listings to set their expectations that the ETA provided by eBay may not be realistic. Since it's such a small amount of listings impacted I can handle that- though I shouldn't have to do it in the first place. On your scale I don't see that being feasible so I wouldn't even suggest it.

If eBay didn't ignore the actual handling time on our listings then you wouldn't be facing these extreme consequences. 🙁

I have no idea, but regarding the problem I mention at the top of my post, as well as the lower issues, it all began right when they began their "New Shipping Banners" in Feb. First, we got penalized for "Very High" service metrics DESPITE being < 1% (Seems like an error during transition to the new system that overlooked the > 1% requirement). And soon after that is when we noticed this issue, which may have began around the same time (and got mixed in with some of the "Weather Protections" in Feb). I do know that I had the issue reported to eBay and documented by March 18th as mentioned, though. 

Either way, the report makes the issue clear as day. It makes no sense as they wouldn't try to protect sellers in this case... How could they have nobody to escalate it to? 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@coffeebean832 - out of curiosity on the listings where you have longer than 1 day handling, what do you have it set at?

I seem to remember there was a time when the common suggestion for dealing with the "historic handling time" issue was to change to 10-15 day handling because that would force it to show more accurate estimates at that point - but I can't find an example of that right now, so I could be wrong or it could have changed.

I did find an old thread where brian@ebay said he thought a 10 day handling time "should push the delivery date out further", so maybe he can shed some light on this and confirm if there is a point at which eBay switches back to using the actual set handling time vs historic handling time.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Unrealistic-expectations-Seller-handling-time-is-ignored-in/m-...

While in general I understand (but don't agree with) eBay's stance about service metrics and why they are assessed at the time a case is opened regardless of the outcome, this would seem to be an obvious example for why customer service needs to have the ability to appeal/remove cases from metrics without having to go through a bunch of hoops with IT.

If eBay is going to override a seller's handling time and give impossible estimated delivery dates, then allow INR cases to be filed based on those impossible estimated delivery dates, then put a service metrics strike on the account simply because a case is opened - there absolutely must be a mechanism for support to be able to remove those cases when it can be clearly shown the seller had a handling time set that exceeded eBay's ridiculous estimate.

It seems like this whole ordeal started around the time eBay made the switch from "Fast N Free" to "Free 4 Day Shipping."  https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/estimated-delivery-dates.html#m22_tb_a1__5 

I think that may have been a factor here, especially since this presumably wasn't happening before on these items for @zamo-zuan and it appears the issue has been corrected now and the 10 or 15 day handling time listings are showing correct estimates now.

You're absolutely right about this issue being caused by them ignoring the handling - the question I have is why were they doing that for those listings during that time when they weren't before and don't appear to be now?

That to me points more toward a technical issue rather than it just being the historic handling time calculation "working as intended" - in which case the seller should absolutely be protected.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Don't know much about this..........but I thought the ebay stance was that they wouldn't reverse errors UNLESS your seller level was lowered.......or threatened to be lowered.....

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@coffeebean832 - out of curiosity on the listings where you have longer than 1 day handling, what do you have it set at?

I changed it a few times- right now I think it's 4 days- but ETA shown to buyers is based on next day shipping.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

It seems that the "errors" always play against the sellers and benefit ebay in some way or another (Seller Metrics -More $ for ebay as a result of penalizing the seller)  

I wonder if any seller actually experienced the opposite and received compensation due to acknowledged  ebay error 🤔

Message 15 of 36
latest reply