cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay labeled, eBay Standard Envelopes

I've been buying the stiff cardboard shipping envelopes, from eBay Shipping. I thought it was a great idea for those sports cards I sell that are less than $20. I felt, great, a professional looking, sturdy envelope and not the pwe I've always hated receiving myself. Not so fast eBay breath...I've received about 8 claims from buyers not receiving their purchases this year, all but 1 the eBay labeled envelope. It's been averaging about 1 claim a month lately. I follow ALL the guidelines: Wt. no more than 3 oz, and thickness, no more than 1/4", etc...Anyone else having an issue with these envelopes? I suspect a lot of the problem is due to postal employees not understaning what they are dealing with.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: eBay labeled, eBay Standard Envelopes

As a former USPS worker (nearly 20 years gone now) I would not use the cardboard mailers they sold everyone on from the beginning. Way too rigid with a toploader inside and they can get upcharged to non-machinable or First Class package rate and will lose tracking. I simply use a regular white envelope and keep it well under 1/4". I use a half sheet of card stock paper and fold it into a pouch and place the toploaded card inside and mail at the 1 oz. rate. You can just wrap in an invoice but like many of us want a little extra protection. I would personally not use any type of cardboard as it just stiffens and thickens it too much. I even use the lower grade top loaders you can find at places like Walmart that seem to flex more than some of the others. Cardsavers and Beckett shields would do well with keeping flexibility and thickness down.

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

These are the only requirements stated on the policy page.

Envelope requirements

• No smaller than 3.5” x 5”
  • No larger than 6.125” x 11.5”
  • No thicker than .25”
  • Weighs up to 3 oz.

I don't find anywhere that the policy addresses how stiff the package/ envelope is unless I missed it of course.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-labels-services/ebay-domestic-shipping-services/ebay...

@mam98031, sorry, yes, you  missed it.

It's in the Full Terms & Conditions, the link is at the bottom of the page you linked to. Essentially, the rules for ESE are an exact paraphrase of the USPS requirements for machinable mail pieces. Slightly different wording, but the meaning is the same.

image.png

devon@ebay, FYI.

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

I have shipped many, many thousands of these and here is what I do and my success rate is massive.

Don't use toploaders at all. I would have spent $900 on toploaders last year and I only had about $30 in damage claims and the ebay insurance paid out on all of them. Envelopes with top loaders vanish, show up empty or get redirected, delayed, or show up postage due far too often. 

Get yourself a huge stack of junk cards. I use either bulk magic the gathering cards or bulk sports cards, both available for nearly free in large numbers (expect to pay $3-5 per thousand). Sports cards are better because they have square corners, you can't protect sports cards with gaming cards because gaming cards have round corners. 

Get yourself some packs of gaming sleeves, the cheaper the better. These are the kind of sleeves people use to protect their magic or pokemon cards while playing, not the soft sleeves people put sports cards in.

Here is how you pack your cards. Take that card the customer bought and slap a sports card on either side of it (make it 2 cards on either side if using magic cards instead of sports cards), and slip that inside a gaming sleeve, then tape the gaming sleeve off center inside the envelope with double sided tape. Switch sides from one order to the next.

You tape off center alternating sides for two reasons, first the envelope can be bent in half with no damage. Second, a stack of these envelopes will sit flat and not get on the nerves of any postal employees making up their own rules.

The gaming sleeves and bulk cards are only going to cost you about 3-4 cents per order in supplies and you can use regular envelopes, I usually get a huge box of them from Costco or similar. Top loaders cost way more per order and have way more problems.

Never add cardboard and do not use cardboard or paperboard mailers. You have free insurance already, you only need to do the bare minimum I outlined and your damage claims will round down to zero.

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

Hi I ship photos and use 3rd party 6x6 white rigid mailers. Ever since Labor Day I have had 4 complaints this month of not receiving items. I have a bad year if I receive 4 claims in that year! I have been doing the same thing for 20 years and have changed nothing. Something is going on.

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

Ebay touts those stiff card top loader mailers for sports cards and coins and stamps with their Standard Mailing label but they are specifically prohibited by USPS for the rate! Envelope cannot be "too stiff". Those mailers are totally stiff. Once again, eBay makes sellers' lives miserable with misinformation. 

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

How do you file for the insurance? Had a guy, today, file a claim that he hasn’t received the card after 43 days. I had a link at one time how to do it but now I can’t find it.

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

See if this helps.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-labels-services/ebay-domestic-shipping-services/ebay...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 44
latest reply

After months of headaches, I have finally found a solution to eBay's insistence that their cardboard mailers qualify for the ebay standard rate, and the USPS insistence that they are too rigid.

I still use the mailers, and even use top loaders. The trick is to print the label, providing you with the (minimal, something like 4 cents) discount and eBay's... um... "special" tracking number, but I go into the post office with them and pay 39 cents each for the "non-machinable" rate. Problem solved. I'm happy, because it is still just over a buck instead of close to $3, eBay is happy because I am not castigating them weekly (actually, I don't think they care since their hires barely know what company they work for, let alone the actual policies), and the USPS is happy because they got to suck some extra money out of me.

~~~Perspective. Use it or lose it.
Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Same problem here just recently, we just realized we have to wait 39 days to file a claim too, then wait several weeks for a decision. It beats first class shipping on cheap items till recently with items not getting scanned or being extremely delayed.   I fear how bad it will get during the holidays...

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

30 days I meant sorry about wrong info

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

@paperdragons wrote:

After months of headaches, I have finally found a solution to eBay's insistence that their cardboard mailers qualify for the ebay standard rate, and the USPS insistence that they are too rigid.

I still use the mailers, and even use top loaders. The trick is to print the label, providing you with the (minimal, something like 4 cents) discount and eBay's... um... "special" tracking number, but I go into the post office with them and pay 39 cents each for the "non-machinable" rate. Problem solved. I'm happy, because it is still just over a buck instead of close to $3, eBay is happy because I am not castigating them weekly (actually, I don't think they care since their hires barely know what company they work for, let alone the actual policies), and the USPS is happy because they got to suck some extra money out of me.

Why would you do that? 

Looking at your feedback you have obviously sold more cards than I have since you started ebay, however looking at your amount of recent feedback I do your average month on my average day. You don't need paperboard mailers and you don't need top loaders. Read my pinned solution above. Doing anything else with cards in this price range is just lighting money on fire. My last damaged card claim was in February, I ship 30-50 cards a day.

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

Wow, I sure wish I would have searched this sooner. I just had my first ever refund request after 20 years selling sports cards on eBay (I'm still small-time though). I went from charging for shipping back when I started and always using USPS First Class with bubble envelope, even on the cheaper cards but I only had a few that may have been lost or damaged. Regardless, I started back up recently and opened a store, the whole 9 yards and decided to try this eBay Std Envelope (even after being skeptical). Buyer purchased 1/31 and we're now at 2/20 and buyer has not received. Buyer sent message stating they wanted refund even though the "delivered by" date was 2/24 (this week), I asked them to wait until that date and heard nothing for a couple days. Last night, I get a ebay msg about a refund claim, I could wait the 3 days and have eBay intervene but then I am risking seller issues at that point. So, reluctantly I issued the refund and then messaged the buyer stating "I refunded, agreed 3 weeks is a bit long but date still hasn't been reached....enjoy your free card". I wasn't happy for basically being called a liar and tracking through std envelope is crap most of the time, so I can't prove much. Buyer is threatening negative feedback, of which I am not too concerned, I am confident that eBay will remove whatever is said....Live and learn I guess.
All that said, now I just changed all my listings back to charging shipping. Buyers discretion on postal service standard envelope or 1st Class, with obvious price differences. I kind of feel like I'm below the standard for selling cards now, I don't like to charge for shipping but I also don't like having to pay $4 for a $0.99 card either. 
I guess I don't really have a question here, more a gripe and now also a revelation in ebay std envelope, at least until the program gets better.

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

I use them on occasion too and they are pretty great. I can't say that I've had any issues with them. Most of the items I ship in them, though, are 1/4" and not flat, so maybe that's where the problem lies.

Good luck to you. Sounds like onefootflipper has it all figured out for you!

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

The stiff cardboard with the EsE will not work and will lead to non scans. 

The EsE envelope needs to be able to move along the USPS automated rollers.  If the envelope is too stiff it's going to get kicked out and up charged...arriving to the customer with postage due and no delivery scan.  

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

I have had so many request for this that I made a video showing how I have shipped over 20,000 cards standard envelope with only about 10 damaged orders.

https://youtu.be/f9SPX370_IE

Message 30 of 44
latest reply