cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Vs Bonanza

So I started selling on Bonanza.  Sales were good and as they picked up I opted for a higher tier of advertising that includes eBay.  Now I barely sell anything on Bonanza and everything is selling on eBay.  Has anyone ran into this issue?  I'm thinking maybe eBay owns Bonanza and they're just taking more of the money from my sales on both ends.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: eBay Vs Bonanza

@

@mam98031 wrote:

I sold on Bonanza for a couple years.  Whoops "sold on" is really misleading.  I had listings up on Bonanza for a couple years.  I sold exactly ONE item.  I did not pay for any higher tier advertising.  If you can't sell anything as a regular seller AT ALL, why would I want to pay them more money.  I could see it if I was selling as a regular member and that a higher tier to increase sales.  But not to get sales in the first place.  Well maybe get sales.  

For me, a complete waste of time.

Hmmm, maybe some new names are in order since it sounds like online venues are all going after fees and advertising dollars rather then the sale of items ...

Paymazon

Paynanza

PayBay

EtsPay (hmmm, remember Pig Latin?)

PayMark

Paycari

Offer Pay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 31 of 46
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@

@mam98031 wrote:

I sold on Bonanza for a couple years.  Whoops "sold on" is really misleading.  I had listings up on Bonanza for a couple years.  I sold exactly ONE item.  I did not pay for any higher tier advertising.  If you can't sell anything as a regular seller AT ALL, why would I want to pay them more money.  I could see it if I was selling as a regular member and that a higher tier to increase sales.  But not to get sales in the first place.  Well maybe get sales.  

For me, a complete waste of time.

Hmmm, maybe some new names are in order since it sounds like online venues are all going after fees and advertising dollars rather then the sale of items ...

Paymazon

Paynanza

PayBay

EtsPay (hmmm, remember Pig Latin?)

PayMark

Paycari

Offer Pay

Sorry, I don't get it.  If anyone feels the fees any given site charges are out of line, move on, sell elsewhere.  We all have choices.  

Each of these sites are for profit sites.  Why it is expected that they provide their services for free or at a greatly reduced rate is puzzling to me.  

Speaking for myself only, my overall fees I pay on this site and others is acceptable to me, otherwise I would not be selling there.  It would cost me a whole lot more to have a B&M and a whole lot less exposure.  Maybe one day I'll have my own website, but there are costs there too.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 32 of 46
latest reply

I sold on eBay for 5 years for our abused and abounded shelter one day eBay told me I was not in the seller level of selling and told me I could not sell anymore but I still could buy

So I moved to Bonanza after 1 month sold 2 items my fee was $10.00 Total for the sale not bad as I made a 90.00 off there after my fee no PayPal or eBay fee just one fee of $5.00 each a whole lot better
I have sold around 25 items in a little over 1 year and again never have to pay no Re list fee ever moth

also there is a pace called TruGether they keep your listing for a year never sold on there compared to Bonanza also support is great you can answer them questions online and they get right back to you in a day or less try that with eBay phone support (Let alone no email support from eBay)
Message 33 of 46
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Our problem with Bonanza -- and I agree with most of your points about costs, both financial and labour-- was that we got so few sales there that it was difficult to remember the process for completing the transaction. Only one staff member knew how to do it quickly, and she had other responsibilities. (Not a problem for smaller sellers.)

And then when we sold something on eBay , it had to be removed from Bonanzle/Bonanza, which was again  a simple job but a labour cost.

But it was a nice clean site and I wish it had done better.

This ^^  You have to pay to play with these 'turbo packs' and the like - I tried that, too.  Also, I found the syncing to be faulty.  The site IS nice and clean, but I wonder what happened to all of that investment money they got a while back to advertise with? I never heard a peep.  You can double list your items on Bonanza, eCrater, Baraqoo and those other sites, but chances are these ghost towns will won't generate much and you'll have to keep track of what listings are where. 

Still, if you don't mind listing and sitting on it, you won't lose by it.  Just don't get sucked into those turbo packs, I think they're a money grab.  Use good SEO.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 34 of 46
latest reply

@drums4fun1 wrote:

So I started selling on Bonanza.  Sales were good and as they picked up I opted for a higher tier of advertising that includes eBay.  Now I barely sell anything on Bonanza and everything is selling on eBay.  Has anyone ran into this issue?  I'm thinking maybe eBay owns Bonanza and they're just taking more of the money from my sales on both ends.

Interesting. There are around 6 conspiracies that show up monthly here. We can now add this one to the list. I doubt just because you advertise both on Bonanza and Ebay that they would manipulate your sales. Sorry not buying into it.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

@tj8799 wrote:
I sold on eBay for 5 years for our abused and abounded shelter one day eBay told me I was not in the seller level of selling and told me I could not sell anymore but I still could buy

So I moved to Bonanza after 1 month sold 2 items my fee was $10.00 Total for the sale not bad as I made a 90.00 off there after my fee no PayPal or eBay fee just one fee of $5.00 each a whole lot better
I have sold around 25 items in a little over 1 year and again never have to pay no Re list fee ever moth

also there is a pace called TruGether they keep your listing for a year never sold on there compared to Bonanza also support is great you can answer them questions online and they get right back to you in a day or less try that with eBay phone support (Let alone no email support from eBay)

This leaves a whole lot of different reasons that it could be as "I was not in the seller level of selling" really is too generic to know what you mean by that.  

I am however glad you were able to find a site where you can sell enough to make you happy.  For me Bonanza doesn't come anywhere near moving enough stuff for me.  Not even close and I've tried a few times over the years.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

@tj8799 wrote:

Oh...so you were a bad seller who fell below the very low standards eBay sets for sellers and got the boot. 

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

I think the gripe is this... sellers don't mind paying their fees? yes the fees are getting high.  But what they want is a fair shake. To be SEEN. On all these sites. Pay to be seen? What's their end of the bargain? The norm now is we  have to drive all our traffic from social media to our items? What are they doing? after all, we all do pay fees. hope I explained that well enough.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

ebay vs. who? 

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

@tj8799 wrote:
I sell on Bonanza going onto 1 year sold 25 items very low fees listed until sold means no re list fees ever % on the sale was like 4-5 dollars for final fees I like it

eBay said I could not sell on here (eBay) as I had low sales and did no loner meet there sales rules?

I always shipped on time and no problems except for taking buyers to eBay for cases but always won

So Bonanza is the best place to be if you don't want to pay a relist fee and high % on final sales
tj8799

First of heard of being told you weren't welcome as a seller due to low sales. Not "following the rules" sounds more plausible.

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

@papermoneyforme

What do you think Ebay's sponsored listings are? Pay to sell!

So you mean Promoted Listings?

The seller chooses to use them. The seller chooses the rate she will pay.

I use one percent.

And on Promoted Listings I get more views. In fact, even my non-Promoted listings are getting more views and sales over all are slightly up.

Unless you have deep pockets for a store,

I pay for Basic Stores on two of my accounts.

Each gives me 500 Fixed Price listings- 250 here on dotCOM and another 250 on dotCA.

The only drawback is listing in two currencies, which is a little more bookkeeping, and having a US bank to reduce foreign exchange, which is difficult for most Canadian sellers (but ask at the Royal Bank and TDCanadaTrust about snowbird accounts. More on dotCA Boards).

Here are the actual costs for opening a Store on dotCA.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/selling/ebay-stores.html#packages-pricing

Find out what tracking costs in Canada and you will find out that many of the items you sell can't be sold out of Canada due to our high shipping costs and then what tracking costs...

As does every Canadian seller.

But we are not required to use Tracking to become Global TRS and get those discounts.

I just paid out a $100 not received claim because paying $18 for tracking to the US is cost prohibitive for a letter.

$18? Are you using Registered Mail? DON”T!

Registered Mail is only tracked domestically. For outside Canada use Tracked Packet or Expedited. The latter is available when you use your Small Business Solutions card with any of the three shipping programs or at the PO counter.

It might be useful to write your MP about Canada Post rates, although Parliament technically only has a say on First Class and Registered rates.

Your MP

House of Commons

Ottawa ON K1A 0A6

will find her.

For the rest, most Canadian sellers use Cookie Jar Insurance to cover occasional losses. Most actually find it a profit centre.

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

It has been many years since I was there so things might have changed. What I learned when I was there that was the favorite place for buyers/sellers that got kicked off of here to go there to do their scamming. I haven't been back since but like I said above they might have changed over the years that I have been gone from there.

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@drums4fun1 wrote:

Interesting. There are around 6 conspiracies that show up monthly here. We can now add this one to the list. I doubt just because you advertise both on Bonanza and Ebay that they would manipulate your sales. Sorry not buying into it.

I took it as a sarcastic joke.  

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

I just now did a product search on bonanza - no results - but then below listings for the same search result from Ebay - their "trading partner."  LOL - Ebay thinks its so sneaky.  You can barely buy anything on the intnernet now that doesn't come from amazon/ebay - the chinese scam foisted on America.

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

@private5230 wrote:

I just now did a product search on bonanza - no results - but then below listings for the same search result from Ebay - their "trading partner."  LOL - Ebay thinks its so sneaky.  You can barely buy anything on the intnernet now that doesn't come from amazon/ebay - the chinese scam foisted on America.

@private5230 

Why are you blaming Ebay for something you can't find on Bonanza?  They are two separate sites.  What is on Ebay isn't necessarily on Bonanza and what is on Bonanza isn't necessarily on Ebay.

Sellers can choose to have their Ebay listing on Bonanza if they want.  But there is no requirement to do so.

Message 45 of 46
latest reply