cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Raises Fees Again

In case you weren't aware, eBay is raising Seller's fees once again. You will now be paying almost 13% (12.90%) on whatever your item sells for, 13% charged against whatever you collect for shipping and 13% charged against whatever eBay collects from the Buyer in Sales Tax.

The thing about the Sales Tax fee is this. It is eBay's legal obligation to collect Sales Tax yet they charge Sellers a 13% performance fee . As in most states if the collected Sales Tax is remitted on time the collector is allowed to keep up to 2% of the full amount.

Not only is eBay charging Sellers almost 13% of the collected revenue they are able to maneuver a 3 to 6 day float on the collected money.

So, it is time to raise the price of whatever you sell.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: eBay Raises Fees Again

It's very helpful of you to point out eBay's change in fees.  But shouldn't all serious sellers be keeping track of this and adjusting their prices accordingly? 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@guardian6c wrote:

Sometimes in retail you can adjust your prices to compensate for cost increases and sometimes you can not.  I am not sure if this new fee increase is sufficient enough to justify a small price increase to maintain an exact profit margin.  I did not feel a need to increase my prices over this latest fvf increase.  Perhaps after a subsequent fee increase.  I find far more burdensome are postage increases where I do often have to increase my prices to compensate. 

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

You are certainly free to raise your prices. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. If you are the only one or one of very few, raising prices, you will just kill any chance of making sales. 

Buyers are not necessarily just going to pay more, especially not if they can get it cheaper somewhere else. 

It sounds all noble, "well my prices went up, so I am raising prices", but that doesn't mean it will work out. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Let's try honesty.  It went from what?   12.55% to 12.90%   TRAGIC.   I'M SO FREAKING OUT! 

What is that, .45 of a percent?   And I get my money  fast.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

What is that, .45 of a percent?

actually no, it's .35 of a percent........

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@guardian6c wrote:

In case you weren't aware, eBay is raising Seller's fees once again. You will now be paying almost 13% (12.90%) on whatever your item sells for, 13% charged against whatever you collect for shipping and 13% charged against whatever eBay collects from the Buyer in Sales Tax.

The thing about the Sales Tax fee is this. It is eBay's legal obligation to collect Sales Tax yet they charge Sellers a 13% performance fee . As in most states if the collected Sales Tax is remitted on time the collector is allowed to keep up to 2% of the full amount.

Not only is eBay charging Sellers almost 13% of the collected revenue they are able to maneuver a 3 to 6 day float on the collected money.

Can i leave my price the same and instead of making 230% profit on an item make only 220% profit?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

What is that, .45 of a percent?

actually no, it's .35 of a percent........

No, it is actually closer to a 3% increase in the fvf.   

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Don't let *coolections* know you are making that kind of profit.  He will be on you for overpricing.  lol

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Jerks!!!! Ebay is raking in a FORTUNE! How could we possibly send a BIG message that they are money grubbing **bleep**s?

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I’m glad you find it so amusing. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Actually when you calculate in the fvf on shipping and sales tax, the fees are well above 13%. (For non stores)

For a $10 item with $4 shipping (if you're so lucky to ship for that)  plus 7% sales tax, your fees are based on $14.98 equating to $2.25 or 22.5%!  

A $100 item with $7 shipping plus 7% sales tax, fees are based on $114.49 equals $15.18 fvf = about 15%

Not to mention item procurement cost (if any) and the value of your time.  These are just examples, but give you an idea of what the REAL fees come to! The lower priced your item, the higher fvf equates to! Add to this Uncle Sam and your State taking their portion and it becomes an even less in your pocket.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

**bleep** EBAY for raising your fees to 13% and higher. Will never sell on here again. 

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Your one sale in a couple years will be sorely missed by eBay. Good luck going forward.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

To add to this, the promotion fees almost leave you with a loss on your items.  If you do not promote your item the buyers never get to see it after looking at all the ones on the promotional listings.  I've noticed that 0 lookers on listings that are not promoted as compared to similar promoted ones with many lookers.  Are you all now promoting your listings?

Message 15 of 27
latest reply