cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Q1 2021 Earnings Call - New Advertising Options On The Way?

In yesterday's earnings call CEO Jamie Iannone made a comment about new advertising opportunities eBay is working on.

The comment lacked anything really specific, but he mentioned that Promoted Listings will be available for Auctions "soon", they are exploring adding Cost Per Click (CPC) capability, and also exploring ways to offer sellers off-eBay advertising opportunities.

I'd love to hear what other sellers think of those options - are any of them something you might use?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: eBay Q1 2021 Earnings Call - New Advertising Options On The Way?

@coffeebean832  @mcdougle4248  - thought you might be interested in this one too.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It's just my opinion of course but I believe that all online companies are nothing but money-hungry greedy **bleep**s. Amazon, Etsy, Ebay, Facebook, you name it. A fee for this and a fee for that, percentage here, percentage there and the profit isn't for the sellers it's for the companies.

I've been using these sites for many years and I watch them get more and more greedy every year.

Companies like Ebay and Etsy should only charge a fee/percentage when items sell. These companies are so big now that I believe they can afford to do this.

Everywhere you go to websites where you could possibly list your items you see fees. The market for sellers (depending on what you sell) is so saturated that it's nearly impossible to sell anything and make any decent money from it. It's capitalism at its worst.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The CPC has been talked about for quite a while, so I'm not surprised they want to try that. I'm not interested in it, but depending on the details, I think some sellers might like it. I run very few auctions, but if PL could be applied, I'd definitely consider running more. Again, the details will matter. I'm not sure what they are talking about with off ebay ads, but my impression listening to the Call was that it would involve ebay directing potential buyers to a seller's promoted listing from sites outside of ebay. Again, the idea is fine, but I'd want to see the details and the cost.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

CPC does not really interest me.  Promoted Listings on auctions does interest me.  I have been thinking of trying auctions again after a couple of years of not doing them.  If Promoted Listings were available for auction listings, I would definitely try auctions again.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Since I only search auctions only in the categories I buy in, PL wouldn't do anything for me as a buyer other than annoy me. Since what I list is all auctionable items, PL wouldn't do anything for me, since there are either real auctions(low start, lots of bids) or faux auctions(starting bid is already over what it would end at or one bid/one kill). The ones with lots of bids will end nicely, the ones with high starting bids will go unsold(most) or only end with 1 bid(some).

I do check BIN only during the day in the same categories, but I see maybe 1 or 2 sell in a couple days. The rest just sit there.

And since ebay copies other sites, don't think that they aren't thinking about the same forced 'promotion' fees for google for sellers selling over a certain amount per year(like the other E site).

@valueaddedresource 

>I'd love to hear what other sellers think of those options

Why should you, myself or any other seller now pay for what used to be free on eBay?

Before Promoted Listings the playing field used to be more or less equal among sellers. With the advent of PL, sellers can pay to get a leg up in search ranking on sellers who don't pay. Divide and conquer.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I used PPC on Etsy and was not impressed.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

According to today's Seller Check-In, ebay will be trying Promoted Listings for Auctions (in limited categories, to start) in late May or so.  I don't have any other details.

Also, in terms of marketing, printable coded coupons which can be printed on the new version of the packing slip should be available within the next week or so....and there are more updates to coded coupons on the way....

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

According to today's Seller Check-In, ebay will be trying Promoted Listings for Auctions (in limited categories, to start) in late May or so.  I don't have any other details.

Also, in terms of marketing, printable coded coupons which can be printed on the new version of the packing slip should be available within the next week or so....and there are more updates to coded coupons on the way....

Thanks @my-cottage-books-and-antiques !

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Promoted Listings will be available for Auctions "soon", they are exploring adding Cost Per Click (CPC) capability, and also exploring ways to offer sellers off-eBay advertising opportunities. I'd love to hear what other sellers think of those options - are any of them something you might use?

I have zero interest in CPC. I'll kick in a little extra when something sells, but heck no am I paying for clicks.

PL on auctions is a good thing- though not relevant to me since I rarely use the auction format.

Selling off eBay advertising doesn't interest me. If I'm paying advertising off eBay it's to drive traffic to my own site, not my eBay store.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply