cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Losing Sellers

After 18 years on eBay, I have decided to not sell anything on the site, and as the number of items for sale shows, many others sellers are leaving too.

The final straw?  eBay intercepting money between seller and buyer though the new way payments are handled "by eBay".  Millions of dollars change hands every day on eBay.  In the past, the funds would go from buyer's (PayPal account), directly to seller.  If money was refunded, it went from seller directly back to buyer's PayPal ccount.

Now eBay "hold onto the money" (for about a week).... The money isn't "in transit" or "being processed" --- it's just held in eBay's bank accounts where they have access to use it, get interest on it, and puff up their financials.

This is not only "theft" (of interest), but also slows down the entire buying/selling process, makes returns and refunds more stressful for sellers and buyers, and eBay DOES NOT CARE.

eBay will NEVER be another Amazon (like they hope), they turned their back on loyal buyers and sellers who enjoyed AUCTIONS --- but now less than 10% of the products in any category are auctioned--- its mostly new retail products (which you can usually get faster and cheaper from Amazon).

Bye eBay... another seller gone.

Message 1 of 116
latest reply
115 REPLIES 115

eBay Losing Sellers

Thanks for letting us know of your departure. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

Message 2 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

Actually,  Ebay is gaining sellers... they are coming from China and Sri Lanka ("Globally" in Ebay'ish) but they only sell, they don't buy as much as US sellers who decided to leave (such as yourself)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ebay-delivers-mixed-q2-amid-decline-in-its-active-buyer-base/

"In its financial release Wednesday, eBay said GMV was down 7% year over year to $22.1 billion. Meanwhile, eBay said annual active buyers declined by 2% for a total of 159 million. Annual active sellers grew by 5% to 19 million globally. Additionally, eBay said its managed payments business processed 71% of global on-platform volume in the second quarter."

So they are losing buyers, in the past when Ebay had some kind of community feeling, the sellers were the buyer and the buyers were the sellers, but not anymore.

Message 3 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

@baltictrader 

All the best! 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

Some of the things you brought up are totally WRONG but no sense debating it. 

It seems like you have your mind already made up.

Good luck!

Harden My Heart - Quarterflash
Message 5 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

@flyingmvp wrote:

Actually,  Ebay is gaining sellers... they are coming from China and Sri Lanka ("Globally" in Ebay'ish) but they only sell, they don't buy as much as US sellers who decided to leave (such as yourself)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ebay-delivers-mixed-q2-amid-decline-in-its-active-buyer-base/

"In its financial release Wednesday, eBay said GMV was down 7% year over year to $22.1 billion. Meanwhile, eBay said annual active buyers declined by 2% for a total of 159 million. Annual active sellers grew by 5% to 19 million globally. Additionally, eBay said its managed payments business processed 71% of global on-platform volume in the second quarter."

So they are losing buyers, in the past when Ebay had some kind of community feeling, the sellers were the buyer and the buyers were the sellers, but not anymore.

@flyingmvp 

Very well put.  When eBay loses an American seller b/c of that seller having a bad experience selling here, eBay has almost always lost a pretty good buyer.  Most American sellers on eBay are pretty good eBay buyers. 

Message 6 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

Soooooo sick to death hearing eBay is making money is why they're holding your money.  Go back and read Managed Payments details again.

The contract ended with PayPal. PayPal gave the money to the seller before it cleared into their account which left them holding the bag if the payment wasn't good.  eBay doesn't do that.

Good luck wherever  you go but you might find out other sites are doing the same thing.

Message 7 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

Is this roll-out almost done?  This is getting really old.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Is this roll-out almost done?  This is getting really old.

I often wonder, but am guessing not.

Still new sellers every day that have no idea MP exists.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 9 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

It's the absolutely 100% certainty of unfounded assumptions that baffles me.  Oh...but wait...that's a 'thing' now, isn't it? 😒

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

HumpityHArrtlesses not able to be found?  Oh, yeah...

Posting ID Only.......
Message 11 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

Au Avoir, Adios, Au Wiedersehen, Sayronara, Au Revior, Aloha, Adjö & Ciao! Of course, Good-Bye!

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 12 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

@baltictrader wrote:

After 18 years on eBay, I have decided to not sell anything on the site, and as the number of items for sale shows, many others sellers are leaving too.

The final straw?  eBay intercepting money between seller and buyer though the new way payments are handled "by eBay".  Millions of dollars change hands every day on eBay.  In the past, the funds would go from buyer's (PayPal account), directly to seller.  If money was refunded, it went from seller directly back to buyer's PayPal ccount.

Now eBay "hold onto the money" (for about a week).... The money isn't "in transit" or "being processed" --- it's just held in eBay's bank accounts where they have access to use it, get interest on it, and puff up their financials.

This is not only "theft" (of interest), but also slows down the entire buying/selling process, makes returns and refunds more stressful for sellers and buyers, and eBay DOES NOT CARE.

eBay will NEVER be another Amazon (like they hope), they turned their back on loyal buyers and sellers who enjoyed AUCTIONS --- but now less than 10% of the products in any category are auctioned--- its mostly new retail products (which you can usually get faster and cheaper from Amazon).

Bye eBay... another seller gone.

Oh my: change;

If you did not know way back when ebay forced everyone to PP, they forced an intercept of the money. Cost you to use:  to a system that started with for a forever free thing... ROLFLOL PP did not have that long did they...

It was then the end of eBay fer sure....

Manged payments I am on and still can make a buck. It the way of eBay today. Bottom line is making a buck were ever you sell.

Change may be a pin to learn, but it do happen...

Message 13 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

@chapeau-noir I may be wrong, but I think it's possible that the roll out---at least for Managed Payments on the .com site---is probably going to be finished by the end of Q3....If that's right, we'll still be hearing about it in Q4 from the folks who wait to announce their departure, but....I think the end is finally in sight. 

Message 14 of 116
latest reply

eBay Losing Sellers

And some old sellers that have no idea MP exists.

Message 15 of 116
latest reply