cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

always the search problems

See Post # question I ask ate weekly chat

I really typed the question fast and I didn't get the details I wanted to say. I tried sending this to brian and it got returned. I guess I never could remember how to do that! 

Brian,

There are so many Misrepresentations on eBay that slow down MY search no wonder no one can find anything. I feel this is one reason SEARCH IS BROKE! Here are just a few...

• As a BUYER why do I have to open EACH listing just to see if it is pure 100% leather? Other sites don't allow this to happen?
  • I could spend a lifetime reporting all the Listing errors I see.
  • There are many other examples I could use. For example 14K Gold. It will be listed 14KT gold and until I read the item specifics or the Descriptions then I find out it is 14K Gold Plated. OR GOLD toned.
  •  Silver is the same way. with the modified search results on Mobile phones, Buyers might not even realize that It is only plastic. Why isn't this corrected?

IMHO, if these problems with Listing had been corrected before the cataloging of the items on eBay, that endeavor would have been much easier.

Looking at clothing...Why doesn't eBay make it a requirement that sizes need to be listed on the LISTING title? Why do I have to open each listing to see what size the item is? Searching doesn't help with this either...If I wear a size 14 in Walmart brands and a size 10 in High-end sizes then which one will I put in search? IF Size was put on each listing title I could decide when I see the brand name what size I want. If listing were standardized for instance...BRAND NAME, WHO FOR< (girls, women men, etc.) Size, (women's 14)Color, (blue) special attributes. (Belt included)

Honestly, I can imagine HOW HARD CATALOGING is the way listings are. Some of the things  I search for I was buying regularly to resell. I had many different search results for the same thing depending on how the Seller listed it. As a reseller that works well for me.  I have rooted out many things to Buy that are not listed correctly.

That takes time though and in today's society Buyers don't have the time to browse like they used to. I don't think Sales for collectibles is dead. I just think they are hard to find. As a Seller, I find it takes so much time to find the best category sometimes. 

Embossed Strap Flip Leather Magnetic Wallet Case Cover For Samsung S8 S9 Note 9

Magnetic Detachable Leather Wallet Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy S7 edge & S7

For Apple iPhone XR Leather Wallet Flip Dual Card Holder Phone Case Cover Pouch

What are Your thoughts Sellers? Smiley Wink Moon

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: always the search problems

When they instituted the new search I didn't like it and still don't as it seems focused on the position of words vs the key words and that's why you can often find the exact thing you typed not in the best match results but further down under similar items.

They have increased item specifics and have included spaces for measurements in many categories. That said - many of the item specifics don't seem applicable for many of the items in that category - at least in clothes. I try to fill in all that I can and make up a few of my own occasionally. 

The best you can do is use the filters along the side. I don't see how they can really make a seller put the size in the title or make them say gold plated instead of gold. There is only so much space and sellers try to fit in as many important keywords in their titles to draw in buyers.

It's funny as another site I use only allows 40 characters in the title - your title is cut down to nothing - but it works for them. A second site allows me to put many more characters in the title so the title itself can be used as the description. Both seem to work for these sites but I don't know how "advanced" their search is.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

try searching for real leather or genuine leather

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Why doesn't eBay make it a requirement that sizes need to be listed on the LISTING title

Because the title is freeform text, and because they have item specifics that are specifically designed for that. 

I could spend a lifetime reporting all the Listing errors I see.

I have rooted out many things to Buy that are not listed correctly.

I have not found that eBay will not respond to a report of an incorrect listing. 

if these problems with Listing had been corrected before the cataloging of the items on eBay, that endeavor would have been much easier.

There are 1.1 billion items on eBay at any given time.At even 10 seconds per listing, that would take 1470 man-years to review just the items that are on eBay today.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Because there are always a good number of sellers who abuse the system and no matter what ebay fixes these same sellers will find a work around, always.  But I do agree with your points, believe me I find it particularly bothersome as well.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I have not found that eBay will not respond to a report of an incorrect listing. 

Removing the double negative, this reads:

Ebay will respond to a report of an incorrect listing.

I respond to this ^^^ with a very friendly, lucky knows I kid -

::snort::

laughing

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 6 of 6
latest reply