cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your item may not sell

I keep getting emails from ebay for each of my listings telling me that they may not sell.  They all suggest listing at insanely low prices i.e., items that normally sell for $75 are suggested to be closer to $5, one item normally sells for $30 retail, $10 on the surplus market, and they're suggesting I sell it for 99 cents, and offering free shipping on a $10 item that weighs 3 pounds.  I've been getting these since starting to list more items lately, but the suggested prices are even lower than items offered by Chinese sellers--most of them knock-offs of the genuine items I offer.

Is there a way to opt out of these emails other than hitting the unsubscribe button (which stops all marketing emails, some which are usefull)? 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Your item may not sell

Just delete.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

@rifter wrote:

Is there a way to opt out of these emails other than hitting the unsubscribe button (which stops all marketing emails, some which are usefull)? 

z1.png

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

Ebay (likely the bot brigade) does send out some weird emails.  I had one that suggested I lower the price of my item, letting me know that like items that had sold were priced between $15 and $25.   My item was priced at $18. 

All you can do is just roll your eyes and shake your head, delete, ignore, and get to work on your next listing to put up.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

Funny because I am getting emails saying Sell more expensive items and get selling fee discount lol I guess we know nothing about selling guys! lol  I know enough to say I am not being promoted which = 0 sales! I was told when I first signed up for a store that ebay charges the store fee for advertising! I guess things changed since then but no one told me! thats why I am paying an extra fee to be promoted, only that has stopped working too................................................... so what now????  pretty scary, feel like its happy hour in the control tower and we are waiting for them to sober up! throw a few crumbs to make a sale!  Oh boy, I need to find another venue to sell... sad as I loved the old ebay and not what it is trying to become! The crazy auctions of selling something and nothing for big$$$$$ it is a market that will never go away! but ebay is dismanteling it, bi by bit! Someone will come along and pick it back up...... probably AMAZON lol

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

Nope. I've been getting this junk email, and mine was already set to "None"
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

Mine is set to NONE also, but the emails still come..

Suggesting I need to "lower my price" to increase my chance of a sale... 

For NEW items constrained by MAP policies set by the manufactures of the items..... 

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO SOMEONE WHO CAN FIX!

I CAN'T lower the price on new, MAP constrained items. Just like ALL THE OTHER SELLERS of these NEW, MAP constrained items are SUPPOSED to be doing. Are you suggesting they lower their prices too??

Could you perhaps distinguish between NEW and NOT NEW items before sending these emails?

OR at least allow me to opt out of the emails properly, which is why I came here in the first place; to find out where to do that.

Lo and behold, I had the suggested notification set to NONE, and then later saw the reply that this does not actually work.

There is no "fix".

Just DELETE IT.

*sigh*

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

@rifter wrote:

I keep getting emails from ebay for each of my listings telling me that they may not sell.  They all suggest listing at insanely low prices i.e., items that normally sell for $75 are suggested to be closer to $5, one item normally sells for $30 retail, $10 on the surplus market, and they're suggesting I sell it for 99 cents, and offering free shipping on a $10 item that weighs 3 pounds.  I've been getting these since starting to list more items lately, but the suggested prices are even lower than items offered by Chinese sellers--most of them knock-offs of the genuine items I offer.

Latest tweak to ebay "downgrades" I get those too.  As all have suggested...DELETE and keep doing what you are doing ; )

Sib

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

siberians_forever wrote:

Latest tweak to ebay "downgrades" I get those too.  As all have suggested...DELETE and keep doing what you are doing ; )

I agree.  It's eBay's site, so they have a ton of policies that we work with (and around) here, but it's still your business to decide how to present and how to price the merchandise you are going to offer here.

Price it where you will.  You'll soon fine out whether the buying public thinks it's a fair price, or whether they aren't going to bite.  Ebay's pricing suggestions are only that.. suggestions, and I've noticed they don't have a clue on most of my stuff.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@siberians_forever wrote:

I agree.  It's eBay's site, so they have a ton of policies that we work with (and around) here, but it's still your business to decide how to present and how to price the merchandise you are going to offer here.

Price it where you will.  You'll soon fine out whether the buying public thinks it's a fair price, or whether they aren't going to bite.  Ebay's pricing suggestions are only that.. suggestions, and I've noticed they don't have a clue on most of my stuff.  Smiley Wink

Yep, Last message I got was a suggestion to lower my price to 10 dollars as other items of similiar listings sold for $25...umm What???? DELETE

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

Got three emails this evening. 

Subject: "How bad do you want item xxxxxxx". 

Body:  " Your counter offer on item xxxxxxx was declined."

Who writes these things?  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

@yasmin3220 wrote:

Funny because I am getting emails saying Sell more expensive items and get selling fee discount lol I guess we know nothing about selling guys! lol  I know enough to say I am not being promoted which = 0 sales! I was told when I first signed up for a store that ebay charges the store fee for advertising! I guess things changed since then but no one told me! thats why I am paying an extra fee to be promoted, only that has stopped working too................................................... so what now????  pretty scary, feel like its happy hour in the control tower and we are waiting for them to sober up! throw a few crumbs to make a sale!  Oh boy, I need to find another venue to sell... sad as I loved the old ebay and not what it is trying to become! The crazy auctions of selling something and nothing for big$$$$$ it is a market that will never go away! but ebay is dismanteling it, bi by bit! Someone will come along and pick it back up...... probably AMAZON lol

eBay is the most perfect and purest example of both the Peter Principle and the Dunning- Kruger Effect working hand in hand that one could ever hope to study.

Washington, DC is a close second.

"I was told when I first signed up for a store that ebay charges the store fee for advertising! I guess things changed since then but no one told me! thats why I am paying an extra fee to be promoted, only that has stopped working too................................................... so what now????"

If a product doesn't perform as advertised, stop buying that product.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

There has to be a way to get these emails to start coming. They keep waking me up 

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

These emails are more than annoying. I do always delete after I offer ebay a few choice words....and come to this discussion to send this very message to ebay....as was recommended on this discussion board as I could no longer find the place where you could simply send ebay a message. It seems, suppossedly that they do read this. WHY I wonder do they no longer have a place where you can simply send them  a message? Just like trying to speak with someone in the USA for customer service.

TO EBAY: STOP telling me what to price MY items at! If I purchased an item for $5., I don't give a hoot if you think I should list it for $3....I need to make a profit on it. If I can't make a profit on it, guess what.....neither are you! I will donate it to a worthy cause before you take all the profits from my labor leaving me none! READ BELOW EBAY...we don't need your advice on what to sell things for!

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Your item may not sell

@mage-music wrote:

Mine is set to NONE also, but the emails still come..

Suggesting I need to "lower my price" to increase my chance of a sale... 

For NEW items constrained by MAP policies set by the manufactures of the items..... 

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO SOMEONE WHO CAN FIX!

I CAN'T lower the price on new, MAP constrained items. Just like ALL THE OTHER SELLERS of these NEW, MAP constrained items are SUPPOSED to be doing. Are you suggesting they lower their prices too??

Do you actually have a contracual agreement with those manufacturers?  If not, then you are under no obligation to respect their MAP demands.  If so, then disregard this.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 15 of 34
latest reply