cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrongful Insertion Fees

Anyone else charged wrongful insertion fees? In using up all my monthly GTC listings remaining according to Seller Hub with no more GTCs timing out in January, I was charged $5.50 in insertion fees.  Check your January invoices. I'm calling CS now.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wrongful Insertion Fees

That is so wise Upgraded. I usually discipline myself to either list or renew between 10 and 15 listings a day, then use up all my listings in the last couple days of the month.
I started this topic to alert people to check their invoices for wrongful insertion fees. Either the problem wasn't widespread or people haven't closely checked their invoices. With GTC, it's imperative that Ebay maintain a real-time listing counter and accurate listing ending times.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Credit where credit is due (notice the pun :-). Quick call to CS and he supposedly processed the refund while I was on phone. No verification yet but CS rep checked my acct and said a refund was due. I'm assuming this was a known glitch as a result of Seller Hub being down.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What size store do you have?  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I have a basic store. Did the glitch target a specific store subscription?
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@lecroy3 wrote:
I have a basic store. Did the glitch target a specific store subscription?

No, I asked because the store level you have, as you know, controls how many free insertion fee listings you have per month.  So for a Basic Store that is 250.  You are running just under 300 GTC listings.  So wouldn't you be paying extra listing fees for those over your 250 allotment?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I understand what you are saying. I monitor my remaining free listings at the end of the month so I dont pay insertion fees. The free listing counter showed I had free listings remaining hours after all my GTCs had relisted for the month taking into account the PT vs ET. Rather than leave free listings unused, I used the free listings before they expired. Perhaps the time ending was the glitch rather than the listing counter. Either way, CS promptly refunded me without questioning my assertion, leading me to believe it was a glitch.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@lecroy3, when I look at your Buy It Now listings, I see 282 items in 273 listings, so I guess some of them have multiple quantity available. 

Howver, the latest (most recent) listing date is Jan 31, which means that all 273 listings either relisted or were newly listed in January. That would be 23 listings over your 250 free-insertion-fee listings. I can't explain why it showed you that you had more available near the end of January, but it looks like you did go over the allowed number.

This doesn't include any listings that were sold after they were either started or relisted in January. Those would be in addition to the 273 that are still active.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@lecroy3; I forgot to mention, you'll want to keep an eye on how many listings you have left as we get close to the end of February. If you are still over 250 active BINs, then you could end up having more than 250 relist during the month. All of the listings that were started on the 29th, 30th or 31st of a month, will relist on Feb. 29 if they are still active.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@lecroy3, when I look at your Buy It Now listings, I see 282 items in 273 listings, so I guess some of them have multiple quantity available. 

Howver, the latest (most recent) listing date is Jan 31, which means that all 273 listings either relisted or were newly listed in January. That would be 23 listings over your 250 free-insertion-fee listings. I can't explain why it showed you that you had more available near the end of January, but it looks like you did go over the allowed number.

This doesn't include any listings that were sold after they were either started or relisted in January. Those would be in addition to the 273 that are still active.

You looked at it in far more detail than I did.  The information you provided makes perfect sense.  Especially in light of the OP feels they were overcharged by $5.50.  Would would be 22 listings at 25 cents.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the thorough analysis. 🙂 I understand the numbers but was going by the counter and time ending. One of those wasn't registering properly which is unfortunate because I always try to use all my "free" listings before they expire. If unsold GTC listings exceed my 250 limit this month, I will definitely end some before they relist to avoid paying insertion fees. Thank you both for your responses.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I do the same thing as you do with my 1000 store listings, but, I always allow myself 3 0r 4 days instead of 3 or 4 hours. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

That is so wise Upgraded. I usually discipline myself to either list or renew between 10 and 15 listings a day, then use up all my listings in the last couple days of the month.
I started this topic to alert people to check their invoices for wrongful insertion fees. Either the problem wasn't widespread or people haven't closely checked their invoices. With GTC, it's imperative that Ebay maintain a real-time listing counter and accurate listing ending times.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It was probably a glitch.  I am retired and spend enough time with my listings that I am able to track them on a day to day basis and balance them against what I will owe eBay on the 15th.  When I put up new listings it is normally in groups of 20-40 very similar items so that I can save some time by just "list similar" and edit a few details. I have an immense dislike for GTC, so I start and end listings as I please in large groups without regard as to when they end. For low profit items or ones that don't sell well usually,  I normally make them end very near the end of the month so that if I decide to relist them and have used up my store listings it costs me only 10 cents each and I can forget about them for the four weeks. Not 30 days, four weeks and ususally end on a Saturday or Sunday evening depending on if there is a football game on. Not for everyone, but it works for my simple mind and I should never havt to pay an auto relist fee.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

So bizarre. I clicked on helpful for your last post and received a msg that my last post was the accepted answer. I give up trying to navigate Ebay Khoros waters lol
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I have just about given up on navigating or participating in any eBay program. Simply try to do what I feel will work out best for me regardless of what they say. Tons of really good information here on the discussion board and it helps me everyday. GTC doesn't work for me very well so I ran some numbers of my own and decided to work around it as long as I can afford to.  Promoted listings (I tried twice) didn't seem to be worthwhile. Markdown sales always seem to generate a few sales, so, I use those when I feel the timing is right.  MP will be the end of me here because I am stubborn and will refuse to accept it.

I don't seem to be fitting in well lately and consider myself an independent contractor that will rise or fall on my own initiative and merit. Not lonely or trying to start a bandwagon, just do what is right for me and ignore eBay until I can no longer afford to. No sense in complaining about things I can't change.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply