cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong address

I sold an item and it was returned because it was unable to be delivered. I reached out to the buyer, and she gave me a different address. How do I handle this? Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Wrong address

I write the date I got it back on the outside, toss it in the closet and forget about it. Many buyers are disorganized and don't even know what they bought. I can't remember any time someone has asked about a returned box. I'm sure this will appear callus, but I did my part by packing and shipping to their address on file within the proper time frame. I'm not going to chase them down, too.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I think the system is registering the transaction as complete and the package shows as delivered in the tracking history.

NO.

The transaction shows as Not Delivered - Undeliverable.

And the agent is right. Sellers win Claims when the tracking shows Undeliverable- Return to Sender.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Seller is not and should not be responsible from shipping costs due to a buyer's error. Not everyone operates their ebay page like Amazon. Lol

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

• Nov 20, 2023
    7:43pm
    DELIVERED TO ORIGINAL SENDER
    LAGUNA HILLS, CA 92654
  • Nov 17, 2023
    9:02am
    Return to Sender Processed
    LAGUNA HILLS, CA 92654
  • Nov 16, 2023
    4:47pm
    INSUFFICIENT ADDRESS
    LAGUNA WOODS, CA 92637
  • Nov 16, 2023
    6:10am
    Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery Between 10:00am and 2:00pm
    LAGUNA WOODS, CA 92637

This is the a copy and paste of the last part of the tracking history.   The item also shows as delivered in my list of paid and shipped items. 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

You ALWAYS cancel the order and make the buyer rebuy, tell them to correct the address prior to the second purchase, or you will have to cancel the purchase again. You loose your eBay protections if you alter the address in any way. This is sometimes an honest mistake by buyers, but it is also a common scam; if you change the address, they can claim it wasn't received and since your shipping / delivery shows to a different address than they typed in, you did not complete the transaction as placed and authorized by eBay.  Even just adding an apartment number to an address can cause it to loose its protections. If it's a legit buyer they won't have any problem repurchasing with the correct address.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

It appears some sellers do things differently.

When this happens to me, this is what I do...

If the item was sold with free shipping, I refund the buyer less what you spent on shipping.

If the buyer paid for shipping, I refund  the buyer less what he paid for shipping.

Then I would...

A) Inform the buyer that he/she can re-purchase the item, but this time make sure the address is correct.

B) Block the buyer.

Good luck.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

I would do the obvious.

Refund in full, relist, and ask the buyer to buy again with the correct address.

Generous of you to eat the shipping cost because of a buyers mistake. 

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

If the item was sold with free shipping, I refund the buyer less what you spent on shipping.

If the buyer paid for shipping, I refund  the buyer less what he paid for shipping.

Then I would...

A) Inform the buyer that he/she can re-purchase the item, but this time make sure the address is correct.

B) Block the buyer.

Good luck.

So if you do both A and B how does the buyer do A?  😁

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

You ALWAYS cancel the order and make the buyer rebuy, tell them to correct the address prior to the second purchase, or you will have to cancel the purchase again. You loose your eBay protections if you alter the address in any way. This is sometimes an honest mistake by buyers, but it is also a common scam; if you change the address, they can claim it wasn't received and since your shipping / delivery shows to a different address than they typed in, you did not complete the transaction as placed and authorized by eBay.  Even just adding an apartment number to an address can cause it to loose its protections. If it's a legit buyer they won't have any problem repurchasing with the correct address.

A lot probably depends on the individual sellers view. Personally I would NEVER cancel an order and fully refund the buyer because I do not want to absorb the shipping costs. 

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Then I would...

B) Block the buyer.

Good luck.

So if you do both A and B how does the buyer do A?  😁

Sorry, I meant A or B, not both.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 25 of 25
latest reply