cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You Report a Seller that is Drop-Shipping from Home Depot?

Would you?  

Does E-Bay even care?  I am guessing that Home Depot cares, but doubtful they have any way for me to tell them.  Just seems so wrong.  I wondered how it could sell so cheap and ship so cheap.  Know now.

When the Home Depot bag and Box showed up on the porch, thought for certain the UPS guy left them at the wrong house.  

So.............report it or just move along?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I usually look up the price there and leave my feedback accordingly.  I will often downgrade feedback for something like that.   I personally do not like it.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

I don't think it is allowed.  Maybe report it to both Home Depot and eBay.  I have reported people for using prime as dropshipper with gift receipt.  Amazon does take action from what I've heard.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Amazon does take action from what I've heard.

I contacted Amazon about an eBay seller drop shipping once, and they totally didn't care.

I don't know why Home Depot would care. Amazon "should" be concerned if Prime members are misusing their shipping benefit, but does Home Depot have a similar program? If not, it would be no difference to them, I wouldn't think.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Would you?  

Does E-Bay even care?  I am guessing that Home Depot cares, but doubtful they have any way for me to tell them.  Just seems so wrong.  I wondered how it could sell so cheap and ship so cheap.  Know now.

When the Home Depot bag and Box showed up on the porch, thought for certain the UPS guy left them at the wrong house.  

So.............report it or just move along?

@katzrul15  - yes, I personally would report them.....and I can give you 160,000 reasons why. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Warning-Retail-Arbitrage-Credit-Card-Fraud/m-p/30822324/highli...

I know for a fact that Home Depot has been targeted in the past by the same kind of triangulation fraud I personally experienced and detailed in that very long thread above.  That fraud took my previous employer for over $160K and I spent about a year going deep down the rabbit hole investigating it.

Your situation may just be regular arbitrage drop shipping (which would still be against eBay policy), but your comment about it being "so cheap" makes me think it's possible it could be fraud as well.

Basically, triangulation fraud looks like this:

triangulationfraud.png

The fraudulent seller posts something for sale here on eBay, unsuspecting eBay buyer buys it, the fraudulent seller "drop ships" it from a legitimate site (in this case Home Depot) and uses a stolen credit card to pay for it.  The legitimate site ships to the unsuspecting eBay buyer, not realizing it was fraud until the owner of the credit card files a chargeback.

Each part of the triangle is carefully set up so the other parts don't see what is happening.  The fraudulent seller often will sell items for 50%+ off of regular retail, it doesn't matter to them because they aren't really paying for the item when they drop ship it.  They may also use compromised eBay accounts to sell the items.

So yes, I absolutely would report it.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I'm not trying to be difficult but why should it matter? There's nothing stopping you from googling, finding that Home Depot sell the item and buying it yourself at the same price as the seller. 

Is it because the seller is making a profit? 

If Home Depot is shipping, the items aren't "hot." 

The only issue for me would be if the seller used a stolen c.c. to make the purchase from HD and once reported, HD would come after the person to whom they shipped.

I don't like sellers who take advantage of Amazon Prime. IMO, that's different because of the membership benefits. But I've searched for items on Amazon, found them cheaper on ebay and purchased from ebay sellers. Packages ultimately came from Amazon. 

What I can't figure out is how they're making a profit if they're buying from Amazon and selling cheaper on ebay.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

I am guessing that Home Depot cares.

Why would Home Depot care ? If a person purchases an item from anywhere, regardless if it is you or a store, it is a sale bought and paid for by the Ebay member.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@divwido 

The time to price shop is BEFORE you buy from Ebay. So you are mad that you could have bought your item cheaper from the store and taking it out on the seller ?

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

I wondered if it was fraud or a stolen CC or whatever.

I purchased (2) of a popular kitchen cleanser, that shipped for free for less than I can purchase 1.  And it is not that price on Home Depot - it is higher, so it makes no sense.  I got a great deal - but is it because it is a stolen CC??

I guess I do not understand why e-Bay wouldn't care - so drop-shipping via Amazon, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc  is kosher now or have I missed the memo?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Yes, report it.  Drop shipping is only allowed from wholesalers, not retailers like Home Depot, so you should report your seller.  The reason is obvious because Ebay competes with other retailers, not wholesalers.

Drop shipping, also known as product sourcing, is when you buy stock from a supplier and work with them to send items directly to your buyers without ever handling them yourself.

Drop shipping, where you fulfill orders directly from a wholesale supplier, is allowed on eBay. Remember that if you use drop shipping, you’re still responsible for the safe delivery of the item within the time frame stated in your listing and for the buyer’s overall satisfaction with their purchase.

However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.  Activity that doesn’t follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including but not limited to: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, loss of buyer or seller protections, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

eBay has banned the practice. So anyone doing it is violating their user agreement. It has been known to leave a bad taste in buyers' mouths too.

As to how closely eBay follows up with the rule breakers is up to them. I do report violations occasionally and have only seen one or two of those reports acted upon. I do know that actual buyers who report infractions are given more consideration.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@american-photography 

Thank you for that - I thought that was still the case, but did not immediately find anything when I did a quick google search.  

I am guessing I should take the 2 cleansers and the packaging and go to the Home Depot store and show them?  If this is someone's stolen CC, I am not okay with that.  And the listings are still up.  It says it is coming from Colorado, but this got to me in 2 days from an Ohio Home Depot fulfillment center.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Amazon does take action from what I've heard.

I contacted Amazon about an eBay seller drop shipping once, and they totally didn't care.

I don't know why Home Depot would care. Amazon "should" be concerned if Prime members are misusing their shipping benefit, but does Home Depot have a similar program? If not, it would be no difference to them, I wouldn't think.

I sell there and they are supposed to care.  We are reminded to not do it and not use our prime accounts in that manner.  Have never reported anything (we order on here and it shows up shipped from Amazon quite often) to Amazon.  Should, I guess.  It is frequent.  

Posting ID Only.......
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

EBay does "ban" retail arbitrage because, even without the triangulation scam described above, it make eBay look bad and expensive.

It loses eBay their customers, once bitten twice shy.

So Report it to eBay. Help and Contact is at the bottom of this page but you may get better results with the  Twitter or Facebook accounts which seem to be run by actual trained employees and not sub-contractors.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Message 15 of 46
latest reply